Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Arrow Nationals Send-Off Shows in Wilmington (1/8) & Newark (1/15), Delaware

The Skating Club of Wilmington's show is on Saturday, January 8, at 6 pm, featuring Ashley Wagner, Armin Mahbanoozadeh & more -- for more info: http://www.wilmicesk8.com/ (check out their video trailer!)

The University of Delaware's show is on Saturday, January 15 at 5 pm -- for more info: http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2011/dec/...Off121010.html
    List of UD's 2010-11 International/Nationals/Junior Nationals skaters and teams: http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2011/dec/...rs-120710.html
    Skaters include Melissa Bulanhagui, Zhang/Toth, Cannuscio/Lorello, Smith/Bartholomay, Cannuscio/McManus, Gamelin/Gamelin, Emmanuel Savary, and Ireland's Clara Peters.

vCash
    Since this exhibition is in the same general area, I'm adding it to this thread. (Armin Mahbanoozadeh is a member of the Washington FSC but it looks like he is electing to skate in his Wilmington training rink's show on the same day.)

The Gardens Ice House will host their Annual National Send Off Exhibition on Saturday, January 8 at 8:00 pm in Laurel, Maryland. It will feature Eastern Sectional, Junior National, and National competitors.

3 Nationals singles skaters in Junior are scheduled to perform -- Haley Dunne (Washington FSC), Allison Timlen (Columbia FSC of Maryland), and Emmanuel Savary (Univ. of Delaware FSC) -- plus the Senior pair team of Erika Smith & Nate Bartholomay (Univ. of Delaware FSC), and the Novice ice dance team of Morgan Grant (Peninsula SC) & Luke Skala (Philadelphia SC & HS). Also listed to skate are Easterns Senior competitor Courtney Bibbs and Junior Nationals competitors Madison Vinci (Intermediate bronze medalist), Tess Terpos (Intermediate 12th place), and Elise Romola (Juvenile 6th place).

Admission is free. Rink web site: http://thegardensicehouse.pointstrea...ardensicehouse

vCash
    I wonder if the Skate Club of Boston is having a show...

vCash
    I'm glad that the two Delaware shows are not on the same day, like last year. We ordered tickets for the UDEL one (1/15). Wish we could also go to the Wilmington one (Armin Ashley ). Oh, well, looking forward to it again & hope the weather cooperates.

vCash
    Skating Club of Boston is having their Nationals Send-off exhibition tomorrow evening, Jan. 7

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Madre View Post
    Skating Club of Boston is having their Nationals Send-off exhibition tomorrow evening, Jan. 7
    Thanks.

vCash
    I see that Boston had their Nationals send off show tonight. Any reports ?

vCash
    The SC of Wilmington has put a couple of photos from their send-off show on their site: http://www.wilmicesk8.com/
    Anyone from here go who would like to share some impressions/highlights?

The Texas Gulf Coast FSC has a send-off for their Nationals skaters (Jr. Nina Jiang and the 2 Novice pairs teams of de la Mora/Wilson & Griffin/Griffin) on Friday, Jan. 14th at the Sugar Land (TX) Ice and Sports Center: http://www.texasgulfcoastfsc.org/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-10-2011 at 04:41 PM.

vCash
    The Broadmoor Skating Club has a "Fire and Ice" show tonight, Friday, January 14, from 5:15-6:15 pm at the World Arena (Olympic rink) in Colorado Springs, but I don't know which Nationals-bound skaters will be skating.

If anyone attends the UDel show tomorrow, your impressions/highlights would be appreciated!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    If anyone attends the UDel show tomorrow, your impressions/highlights would be appreciated!
    I would love to go, but the Ravens are playing at 4:30, so I'll have to wait until Nats to see the UD crew.

vCash
    OK, Debbie S, you're off the hook THIS time!

Quote Originally Posted by hippychick View Post
    I see that Boston had their Nationals send off show tonight. Any reports ?
    I don't have any technical details to share, but someone who went told me that all 5 pair teams (Castelli/Shnapir & Donlan/Speroff in Senior; Sowa/Leenen & Bautista/Harris in Junior; and Shaughnessy/Morgan in Novice) looked good and seem to be progressing well. The singles skaters were Ross Miner, Jason Wong and Yasmin Siraj (Sr), Harrison Choate (Jr), and Mia Eisenhandler (Nov). Also, Curran Oi's younger sister, Bryna, reportedly has made a promising transition from singles to ice dance with her Novice partner Mark Jahnke (no relation to Ryan).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I'm planning to go to the UD show tomorrow - I will try to take some notes.

I also went to the Skating Club of Wilmington show last weekend. It had snowed that morning, but there was a still pretty good turnout. I was really impressed with how friendly everyone was (the food at the snack bar was also really delicious!)

Ashley Wagner and Armin Mahbanoozadeh are two of my favorite singles skaters, so it was great to see both of them perform live. Ashley skated her short program - her spins in particular are beautiful. She had on a really pretty red dress with beading on the straps. I'm not sure if it's a new dress for her SP or if she was just wearing something different for this particular performance. Armin Mahbanoozadeh did his Avatar long program, which except for one popped triple axel, was fantastic. It's a very intricately choreographed program, and the footwork sequences were really impressive. He also gets major height on his jumps! I'm excited to see how he does at Nats. Unfortunately, they ran out of programs before I got one so I don't have program info for any of the other skaters. Next time I will have to make sure I get one ASAP!

vCash
    A picture of Ashley's (new?) red dress: http://www.wilmicesk8.com/images/Ashley%20layback3.jpg

vCash
    Thanks dragonfly415. How did Ashley's jumps look?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Thanks dragonfly415. How did Ashley's jumps look?
    Yes. Any reports on what she did?

vCash
    OK, we attended the UDEL show last night, and it was very entertaining. I won't be able to comment on the technical elements, so if anyone else who was there can help me out, I would appreciate that.

Prior to the show and during the intermission, the Olympic coaches signed photo autographs that were given out with the programs (all on photo quality paper). I got to meet/talk to Ron Ludington, Barbara Roles-Williams, Scott Gregory, Tiffany Scott, and Philip Duhlebohn. Suzy Semanick Schurman was not there because she was coaching a competitor in Norway. Scott Gregory had written a book which was available for sale (and there were plastic wristbands promoting his book The Champion Mindset. All of the Olympic coaches were honored in a ceremony during the first half of the show, just before the intermission.

Junior national Team Members were introduced: Kirsten Vetland & Nathan Cooper - juvenile pairs, Sarah Wisniewski - juvenile girls, Chloe & Alex Petraske - juvenile pairs. Alexandra hayden & Ron Zilberberg - juvenile dance Those who were able to be there came onto the ice.

Rebecca Lustig & Brendan Newberry - 2011 Junior National Team Members - Juvenile Dance - Stray Cats Strut/Hey, Pachuco

Eric Sjoberg - 2011 Junior National Team member Stray Cat Strut (instrumental)

Caitlin Belt & Michael Johnson - 2011 Junior National Intermediate Pairs Silver Medalists - World of Imagination (Willie Wonka)/Somewhere Out There (from "American Tail")

McKayla O'Connell - 2011 Junior National Team member - Intermediate Ladies - Ms. Baltimore Crabs (from "Hairspray")

Whitney Miller & Grant Lorello - 2011 Junior National Intermediate Dance Silver Medalists - music? - the Lorello (& Cannscio) families are well represented at UDEL, as you'll see

Meara Lorello & William Dean - 2011 Junior National Intermediate Dance champions - music sounded like something from a James Bond soundtrack sung by Harry Connick Jr. (?)

Cassandra Jeandell & Damian Dodge - 2011 Eastern Sectional Novice Dance Pewter medalists - You Raise Me Up (sung in Italian - Il Divo?) impressive lifts!

Andrew Nagode - - 2011 Eastern Sectional Novice Men Silver medalist was listed in the program, but is currently injured and was unable to skate.

Danielle & Alexander Gamelin - 2011 Eastern Sectional Junior Dance Bronze Medalists - Carlos Santana's "Smooth" & a song with the lyrics, "Vengo, Vengo, Vengo..."

Viviana Mathis - 2011 Eastern Sectional Novice Ladies Pewter Medalist - Totentanz

UDEL Collegiate Synchronized Skating Team - 2010 US National Synchronized Skating Championships Bronze Medalists - a medley of songs from "Jersey Boys"

HPFSC (High Performance Figure Skating Center) Olympic Presentations for the Olympic Coaches - for the coaches I mentioned at the beginning. Their competitive accomplishments were acknowledged. Ron Ludington was the last to be announced and he is the director of UDEL's Ice Skating Science Development Center.

Intermission - Zamboni break, and warm-up time for the skaters in the second half of the show

UDEL Collegiate Figure Skating Team - 2010 Intercollegiate National Bronze Medalists - the "Glee" version of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing"

Felicia Zhang - 2010/2011 International Team Member - something from "Swan Lake"

Katherine Pilgrim & Alex Lorello - 2011 Eastern Sectional Championship Dance Pewter Medalists - a song with the lyrics "Sweet Emotion,"/Come Together (the Beatles' song, but not sung by the Beatles/Walk This Way (Aerosmith)

Haley Dunne - 2011 Eastern Sectional Junior Ladies Silver Medalist - Mask of Zorro

Meredith Zuber & Kyle Herring - 2011 Easterm Sectional Championship Dance Silver Medalists - Tango de Roxanne (from "Moulin Rouge")

Emanuel Savary - 2011 Eastern Sectional Junior Men's Bronze Medalist - Jackson Five/Michael Jackson Medley - he did have one fall, but skated pretty well, overall. I think he did a headless spin. I love his enthusiasm and smile. Very well received by the audience. The first time we saw him was back in 2005/2006 when he was about 6 years old. He opened the show back then. It's great to see him develop through the years, and he's always been such a charmer!

Anastasia Cannuscio & Colin McManus - 2-11 Eastern Sectional Junior Dance Silver medalists - 2010 Jr. Grand prix team members - Habanera from "Carmen" (& a part of the "Carmen Suite?").

Clara Peters - 2011 International Team member - Ireland - I recognized the music - something classical, but can't place it right now. It sounded like something from Debussy (?)

Erika Smith & Nate Bartholomay - 2011 Eastern Sectional Championship Pairs Champions - "Welcome to Burlesque" (from the brand new movie "Burlesque"), sung by Cher

Melissa Bulanhagui - 2011 Eastern Sectional Championship Ladies Silver Medalist - some kind of tango music - great, fast spin at the end

Isabella Cannuscio & Ian Lorello - 2010 Sr. Grand Prix Team Members, 2010 US National Junior Dance Pewter Medalists - West Side Story medley

Felcia Zhang & Taylor Toth - 2010 US National Champions Junior Pairs, 2010 Sr. Grand Prix Team members - Debussy's "Clair de Lune"

In the finale, all the skaters were reintroduced, and after taking their bows, skated around the ice. I went down to the boards and touched their hands, complimenting them on their performances and wishing them well for US Nationals.

After the show, I got to speak to some of the skaters. Felicia Zhang and her mom were very gracious, and thanked us for coming, etc. Melissa's parents recognized me from Eastern Sectionals and the Liberty Summer Competition, so we had a pleasant chat. I told them we were so excited about going to Nationals, and we wished each other safe travels. Before we left, I got to talk to Emanuel Savary, take his picture and wish him all the best. All in all, a delightful evening!
    Last edited by paskatefan; 01-16-2011 at 05:26 PM.

vCash
    Thanks so much for sharing, paskatefan!

Local article about the atmosphere during the UDel send-off show yesterday: http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...LIFE/101160370
    Skater trivia:
    Also in line was Lynn Lorello, the mom of four top-level skaters -- 14-year-old twins Meara and Grant, Alexander, 23, and Ian, 20. All compete in ice dance. Meara won the national intermediate dance championship with partner William Dean.
    (The article didn't mention that Grant finished 2nd with his partner, Whitney Miller, to his twin sister in Intermediate dance.)

24 photos from the show (missing some of the Senior/Junior competitors): http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...1150804&Ref=PH

Video narrated by Ron Ludington (includes some practice clips): Ice skaters tune up before heading to Nationals

vCash
    Does anyone know why Stephen Carrierre is not competing this year at Nats?

vCash
    Sylvia, thanks for all those great links (the article, the pictures and the video)!

Judiz, I read somewhere that Stepehen Carriere got injured.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Does anyone know why Stephen Carrierre is not competing this year at Nats?
    I feel like he's taking the Kimmie Meissner/Emily Hughes path to retirement i.e injuries, college, and recent poor results, still talks about a comeback but we all know its never going to happen, at least not convincingly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast