Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SwingDancer View Post
    How old is Jr. by the way?
    According to his BIO he was born September 7, 1992.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012360.htm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Well I found Artur's switching pretty shocking because his dad works for Moskvina's camp and Mishin/Moskvina are extremely tight. Perhaps Artur is trying to protect his own interests by publically saying it was his wife/son's decision.
    Taking Druchinina also works in Moskvina's group it makes Dmitriev's interview even more charming.

I think that Artur Sr could have probably said he wasn't a fan of the break up in a better way, if he really felt the need to comment whatsover. I find comments like betraying coach etc to be a bit much. If the coaching relationship wasn't working for Artur it wasn't working, and I do seem to recall that there WERE some coaching switches back in the USSR.
    I honestly can't recall coaching switches in the USSR except for Zhuk's pupils.

Dunno, the whole interview sounds to me rather more like a `real honesty' by Dmitriev's standards than the actual thought of who he would be hurting or calculations of his own good behind it.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I actually am not so sure if its so horrible for a child to have to try out for things, and not make certain groups.
    Again, I am speaking strictly from my own experience and I am sure that someone will produce one or two examples of something else, but IME, tryouts for just about everything start around third grade. There are groups in which everyone can participate, but there are also plenty of groups where everyone can't. The former are more about having fun; the latter are more about competition.

Maybe I live on an island or something, but I don't know of any school system that doesn't have competitive teams, varsity squads, honors and AP classes, and everything else that has to do with competition and selectivity. Everyone does not get a ribbon--except for the very young kids, and why anyone objects to that is beyond me. Or is it supposed to be that getting a ribbon for showing up when you are six ruins you for life?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Dmitriev sr comes across as very straight forward person and will say out loud what is in his heart, so the people who know him very well will not be very surprised to here what he speaks. I think Jr should be very well accustomed those sort of words. well if he was hurt by them, one can only ask him.

however my uncle who would say really super-critical remarks about people he cares about, but his children never take offense at his words, In fact they know how much he loves them. So only jr can tell us how he felt, till then it is how sr didn't make media friendly comment. It all comes down to dynamics of the relation between them.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    I find this comment a little confusing - at least from an American point of view.
    I don't know how criticizing his son in public shows that Artur is putting fatherhood first; actually, I think it shows something else altogether - that Artur is caught in a bad family situation
    Alright, I'll explain you things from a non-American point of view. If, for example, Artur (or whoever) starts talking politics and wouldn't be totally honest, next time nobody (or at least the majority) in Russian public will trust any single word in his interviews. People will say: oh, he said this and that because the politics made him say this and that, not because he is speaking truly what he thinks with an open heart.

As for his family situation, he's fine. Even if someone tries to see the dirt that doesn't exist, the dirt will not show up.

vCash
    Obviously we don't understand each other. Artur already admitted to his less-than-terrific family situation by saying that he was not consulted by his son about this major career decision. IMHO, he might have kept quiet about it. What he said doesn't make him look good. You're implying that he he HAD to comment directly - he didn't. I think he had an opportunity (in the moment) to slam his ex-wife and son, and took it. Not very father-ly and a very clear indication about how poor relationships are among those family members.

And I have always been a big Dmitriev fan but this is not a great moment. I come from a partially Russian-American (granted, very different from Russian) family, I have Russian friends and speaking negatively about other family members publicly? Never. Family loyalty and privacy is very important - I can criticize my family within my family all I want but outside the family? No. I believe it is important to many families (regardless of how famous they are) in Russia too.
    Last edited by Willowway; 01-05-2011 at 04:36 PM.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Obviously we don't understand each other.
    Okay, we don't. So what? He was giving an interview to the Russian press and his target was to gain the trust from the local public by being honest. If you with "from an American point of view," as you put it, disagree, nobody in the public that he worked for gets hurt. Neither does he. Mentality is not universal.
    privacy is very important.
    Right. His family situation should be left alone. If you don't mind...

vCash
    if you don't mind
    Pretty funny. He's the one who threw his family under the bus in public, not me. If the trust of the Russian public is more important to him than the trust of his family - well, now we know how he thinks.

Just me
    vCash
    Willowway, I'm just curious, did you ever have any problems communicating with Kulik because of an issue with your "mentality?"
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Banned Member
    vCash
    He's the one who threw his family under the bus in public, not me.
    He didn't. He expressed his opinion on a-skater-switched-a-coach. It was somebody else who assumed that his comments were caused by his custody/divorce issues.

vCash
    I think in this interview, AD Sr was speaking more as a coach than as a father? But somehow the line got blurred and he let his feelings as father/ ex-husband jump into the mix. In any case, it must be hard to be a father and a FS coach/ insider at the same time.

vCash
    Clearly I've offended some people with my view of what Artur said about his son's coaching change. That was not my intention and I'm sorry. I think Portia has a good point - if he was simply commenting as a coach that would have been one thing, but AD Jr. is his son and so his comments take on other possible shadings and meanings. That's the end of what I have to say about that issue.
    Last edited by Willowway; 01-05-2011 at 06:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    Willowway, I'm just curious, did you ever have any problems communicating with Kulik because of an issue with your "mentality?"
    What??? I am sorry, I have to jump in here. Willowway has been one of the best posters here for years. Whether you agree with her (very legitimate, by the way) POV or not, there is absolutely NO REASON to get personal. It is such a rude and senseless comment. An "issue with her mentality"? Are you kidding me.

vCash
    Thanks you PSL - I don't know who you are (except for your presence on FSU) but you're very nice and I appreciate it.

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perky Shae Lynn View Post
    Whether you agree with her (very legitimate, by the way) POV or not, there is absolutely NO REASON to get personal. It is such a rude and senseless comment. An "issue with her mentality"? Are you kidding me.
    This is a perfect example of a misunderstanding with the written word. My post wasn't an "attack" on Willowway at all. I was attempting to point out that questioning her ability to communicate with a Russian or understand the Russian "mentality" was idiotic considering her long standing association with Kulik.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Arthur and Tatiana had an ugly split. This is a dig at his ex-wife, and the son who sided with "the enemy"... I generally despise airing of family's dirty laundry in the media. Whatever Arthur's strictly professional opinion is (and he is known to admire Moskvina and Mishin greatly), as a father he should know better then throw his young son under the bus.

Frankly, Arthur has been coming off as a little bitter lately. I really didn't like his comment about being a poor man. It's not like Averbukh had a ton of money or any special connections. His success was a result of the right environment, excellent strategy and a lot of hard work.

vCash
    PSL, Nan and All - I write for a living (business writing) and this is why I can often be found at my desk pulling my hair out by the roots - the written word can trip you up so easily. How hard it is to be understood in any language in writing. The perpetual banana peel!

Home Sweet Home
    vCash
    Since when does fatherhood come first in Russian culture? I'm actually really curious because I've always had quite the opposite impression. Could be wrong tho.

vCash
    I love Artur; his Liebestraum with Mishkutenok is probably my all time favorite skating route, but I have to say, he's always seemed like he probably wasn't the nicest guy in person - perhaps incorrectly, but he does give off a bit of a diva-ish vibe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dupa View Post
    Since when does fatherhood come first in Russian culture? I'm actually really curious because I've always had quite the opposite impression. Could be wrong tho.
    There are two extremes, both glamorized in Russian media, art, literature, film, etc.

On one hand there is a forgiving, all sacrificing Father/Mother, who forgives the Prodigal Son, defends to the world an adult-child who took a wrong turn, etc., as symbolism of Christian forgiveness, “blood is thicker than water” concept, etc.

Examples of such come up in folk stories and old legends, in various less internationally famous literature and films, etc.

Folk character, Ivan the Fool, was always welcomed back into the family circle, no matter how much trouble his laziness and foolishness has caused the family.

But in order to be accepted and forgiven, the “son’s offense” must be relatively mild and personal, and damage must stay with-in family’s frame work.

On the other hand there is an image of a Great Leader who sacrifices son/family member for the good of the Nation, or if an offense is a serious betrayal.

Peter the Great treatment of his rebellious and disappointing son Alexei.
    http://www.historyhouse.com/in_history/peter_alexis/

Stalin during WW-II refused to trade his son captured by the Germans in exchange for German prisoners captured by Russians.
    http://history1900s.about.com/b/2003...-nazi-camp.htm

Fiction character in Gogol’s literary work, Taras Bulba, the Commander of Zhaporozhnyan Kossaks, shoots one of his sons, Andrey, dead, when finds that the son betrayed the Kossaks by falling in love with a Polish girl and living on the “enemy side”.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taras_Bulba

Son’s any form of betrayal against Father’s clan, country, nation, cause, etc., is a major offense that was known to be punished by death and a welcomed result in such situation.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast