Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Kostner Softie
    vCash
    OMG! I was asked the alcohol and wood question before! for a part-time job when I was in high school I said the letter o (i got the job)

vCash
    My boyfriend works for Epic and got asked the question about the apple and pears (for a software developer position). He says the question he was asked was slightly different - apples were 40 cents, bananas 60 cents, and grapefruit 80 cents, how much is a pear?

He thinks he got it right - he got hired

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    My boyfriend works for Epic and got asked the question about the apple and pears (for a software developer position). He says the question he was asked was slightly different - apples were 40 cents, bananas 60 cents, and grapefruit 80 cents, how much is a pear?

He thinks he got it right - he got hired
    Hah! I'll have to tell my bf since he kinda wants to get into game design too.

If he were put on the spot like that, he'd probably come up with SOMETHING, but if he didn't have a censor on his thoughts, he'd say, "What kind of fecking stupid question is that?"

For an RA interview in college, I was asked why manhole covers were round, and I already knew the real answer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    For an RA interview in college, I was asked why manhole covers were round, and I already knew the real answer.
    And the answer is?

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    And the answer is?
    Circular lids will never fall into the hole they fit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Wood and alcohol would be a dangerous one for me, because I can think of a lot of commonalities--both occur naturally but the creation process can be managed and controlled. Both have grain. Both burn. Both warm, but in different ways. Both can be used in cooking. Both can be created from pulp--wood pulp can be pressed into wood and fruit pulp can create alcohol. And so on and so on. I can see me blabbling on until they want to stab me with a (wood) pencil.
    The first thing that comes to my mind when I read the question was "You can knock out someone with either of them"

I don't think they'd hire me

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by acraven View Post
    "How many basketball[s] can you fit in this room”

I'm a literal-minded person and pretty much incapable of coming up with creative answers, so I'd estimate the square footage of the room, then multiply by the estimated ceiling height to get the cubic volume. Then I'd make an assumption that the diameter of a basketball is about 1 foot, so the room could hold a number of basbetballs equal to its cubic volume in feet.

[Geek mode]
    It depends on how you pack them: one on top of the other (simple cubic) or the balls on the layer above on the empty spaces of the layer underneath (face centered cubic). Unit cells.
    Any way, the maximum amount of volume you have filled with balls is 74% (if face centered cubic). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_packing_factor
    Get the measures of the room and basketball and have fun.
    [/Geek mode]

A little too many solid state classes. I probably wouldn't get the job with that answer...

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    The first thing that comes to my mind when I read the question was "You can knock out someone with either of them"

I don't think they'd hire me
    I thought of that, too. It all depends on what they are looking for.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beepbeep View Post

[Geek mode]
    It depends on how you pack them: one on top of the other (simple cubic) or the balls on the layer above on the empty spaces of the layer underneath (face centered cubic). Unit cells.
    Any way, the maximum amount of volume you have filled with balls is 74% (if face centered cubic). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_packing_factor
    Get the measures of the room and basketball and have fun.
    [/Geek mode]

A little too many solid state classes. I probably wouldn't get the job with that answer...
    The only thing I could think of with that question (maybe because I've had to stash many basketballs in a small space in the past) was: you need to deflate all of them!! Then you can store a good number.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I interviewed at Google. Twice. Obviously, I didn't make the cut.

Based on my experiences, I don't think their hiring processes are that great. I understand why they do some of the things they do but I think they end up weeding out a lot of good people because the interviewees don't react in a prescribed way even though they'd do great if they were hired.

I think it's better to concentrate on how people have behaved in similar situations in the past that throw a lot of trick questions at them.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I don't know what they would think of me. Most of the you would have to think outside the box.

What would you do if you inherited a pizzeria from your uncle?
    I don't think I would be doing a job interview, I'd be giving them....trying to figure out who was going to run my new business?

Why do you think only a small portion of the population makes over 150K?
    Are these the crooks?

What do alcohol and wood have in common?
    They burn

Question about labels and apples and oranges?
    I'd label the boxes fruit and call it a day

An apple costs 20 cents, an orange costs 40 cents, and a grapefruit costs 60 cents, how much is a pear?
    If this were an oral question, I honestly would have said a pair of what--apples, oranges, or grapefruit?

I don't know what an employer would think of me, but my initial thought would be that the questions are so silly/ridiculous that I couldn't really answer them thoughtfully.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    I don't think these questions are so wack for analyst/researcher type jobs. If you explain how you would answer such a question, even if you don't come up with an actual answer (or the right one ) describing the process shows how you think through uncertainties or unknowns, which is a big part of those kinds of jobs.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    An apple costs 20 cents, an orange costs 40 cents, and a grapefruit costs 60 cents, how much is a pear?
    If this were an oral question, I honestly would have said a pair of what--apples, oranges, or grapefruit?
    I thought of that too, but the boyfriend said it was a written question on a list that included a bunch of others. At least according to his way of thinking, it has nothing to do with fruit.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I think it's better to concentrate on how people have behaved in similar situations in the past that throw a lot of trick questions at them.
    I think in some fields, the ability to think on your feet is important enough to lob ugly balls across the net during an interview. If you are in high-pressure sales, you have to be able to shuffle your feet really fast and convince people you are an expert tap dancer.

But I'd rather know how someone would handle the actual job in most cases, and think that asking about past methods and presenting candidates with typical problems and asking how they would approach finding a solution would be more effective.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12