Thread: Heel Injury

vCash

Heel Injury

I'm an adult male skater starting freestyle 1. A few weeks ago, I learned to waltz jump. Since then, I have been having pain in the heel of my landing (left) foot. It started as a blister, which has now healed, but it the pain is slowly gets worse. It seems to be aggravated by the waltz jump landing and by backwards crossovers when the landing foot is in back. The toe loop does not seem to make it worse, but I don't jump as powerfully with a toe loop. My waltz jump travels around 5 feet. The other foot is fine even when waltz jump the wrong (counterclockwise for me) direction. I took 9 days of rest, and it didn't get better at all. Now it is starting to bother me when I am not skating, including when I stand on it or point my toe.

Any advice? I have Jackson DJ2012 boots, which feel very comfortable.

vCash
    Could it be some form of tendonitis, or possibly even a spur?
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Where on the heel? In the achilles area? Maybe the heel is rubbing as the boot moves slightly on landing? Try a bunga pad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nolincl View Post
    Where on the heel? In the achilles area? Maybe the heel is rubbing as the boot moves slightly on landing? Try a bunga pad.
    It seems to be bellow the Achilles, on the end of the heel bone and somewhat below there, but not on the bottom of the heel. If I squeeze the Achilles from the sides it hurts a little on the side of the injury, but I didn't notice that until you just inspired me to check. Pressing on the back doesn't hurt. I don't have any problem with my plantar fascia currently, though I do have problems with that if I run. My foot does not seem to move in the boot, but the jump happens fast so it could be I cannot tell.

vCash
    ^^^I was just going to say... this sounds like plantar fasciitis. I was dealing with that full-blown at this time last year. I have had that exact same discomfort in the exact same area of my right heel for over 3 years now. Last winter, the pain did spread into the bottom of my foot, and it felt like I was stepping on a semi-sharp knife blade. Forget heel-to-toe rolling... I had to put my entire foot flat on the ground.

Thankfully, it subsided back to the heel again, and I was able to resume contra dancing in May, after having to be out of it, and also fitness walking, for 6 months.

vCash
    It's gotten mostly better. The most helpful thing seems to be icing it every night - I get it really cold. Also helpful is an adhesive pad. I cut it into a strip and wrap it under the heel. The bottom of the heel doesn't hurt, but wrapping the pad under the heel prevents it from coming off when the foot goes in the boot. The laces have to be very lose to get the boot on. The final helpful thing is to resist the temptation to loosen the boot and relieve the pain. I think rubbing was the cause, so now I tighten my boot repeatedly as I warm up.

The skate shop recommended sticking an adhesive grip inside the boot. That did not work at all - it would not stay put.

vCash
    When lacing your boot, be sure to have the heel pushed all the way back. Also, a lot of people have heels that are narrow in comparison to the balls of their feet, and if you are one of those people, it is worth every penny to pay an extra $25-$50 for mixed width boots (one width narrower in the heel than the ball).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    When lacing your boot, be sure to have the heel pushed all the way back.
    I certainly try!

Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    Also, a lot of people have heels that are narrow in comparison to the balls of their feet, and if you are one of those people, it is worth every penny to pay an extra $25-$50 for mixed width boots (one width narrower in the heel than the ball).
    I think the motion is vertical. I can't feel it in the waltz jump, but when I spin I tend to point my skating foot, and I can feel the heel lift off the sole of the boot. That tells me the foot can move at least a little. Probably my entire body position is wrong on the spin.

vCash
    I was going to chime in and say, too, that it sounded like plantar fasciitis. Which is notoriously capricious and can come and go at the weirdest times. I hope you have some success getting the pain to go away. (And YAY for another "backwards" rotator! The few, the proud, the clockwise.)