• Yes, Mirai Nagasu should add the pearl

19 35.19%
  • No, Mirai Nagasu should not add the pearl

16 29.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Pearl Spin

vCash

Pearl Spin

In a recent interview, Caroline Zhang said that she hopes to start adding her pearl spins into her programs again at Nationals. I know many people dont think that she cant do it anymore, and there are still people who believe in her. I just want to know the general opinion.

On another note, I know that Mirai Nagasu is able to do Zhang's pearl spin (check out her exhibition, i think it was last years nationals). So i dont have to make another poll, i'll just make it multiple choice but do you think Mirai should add the pearl spin to her competitive programs?

Also, are there other skaters that you think can do the pearl spin? Lets NOT add juniors because the puberty monsters havent hit them yet. STRICTLY SENIORS

~just curious~

vCash
    Did anyone read the OP?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    Did anyone read the OP?
    Yes, it is just that your poll makes no sense. Only Caroline knows if she can still do the pearl...why should any of us speculate if she can? And why would anyone want Mirai to rip off that ugly move? She has a beautiful layback of her own.

vCash
    It's not an ugly move. How rude.

vCash
    I think the pearl is beatiful when it is done with the leg mostly extended, when she does it as just a haircutter with her head further back then usual, I don't think it's as pretty.

I think both should leave it out of the programs- I don't think Caroline's back needs that abuse anymore, and Mirai has a gorgeous layback already, so why use her former "main rival's" trademark?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Hasn't Mirai been doing the pearl spin in at least one of her programs this season? Or something very close to it?

I think it looks pretty incredible when done well, but how does it score? I think that would be the deciding factor for either of them.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    It's not an ugly move. How rude.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...so is ugly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Hasn't Mirai been doing the pearl spin in at least one of her programs this season? Or something very close to it?

I think it looks pretty incredible when done well, but how does it score? I think that would be the deciding factor for either of them.
    Mirai does kind of a combination between a pearl and a haircutter, it's one handed but her head is below her foot.

I don't think Mirai needs it, while her spins have been slower this year perhaps due to lack of training / focusing on her jumps or something, her layback is noted not only for its flexibility but its versatility and speed. Her layback was scored a level 4 with +3s across the board in both the SP AND the LP at Worlds' last year, her SP layback was incredible.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Just curious but why can't Caroline do the pearl anymore? Injury? Growth spurt?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Just curious but why can't Caroline do the pearl anymore? Injury? Growth spurt?
    Probably a bit of both. More injury, though, iirc.

vCash
    You do lose a degree of flexibility with age, just look at some of the rhythmic gymnasts that retire later in their career. I'm thinking of Anna Bessonova but she does maintain her leg flexibility. However, Caroline did have a back injury back in Spokane, maybe even earlier that carried on into Nationals.