Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

US version of Being Human series on Syfy

I just saw one of the spots advertising the US version of Being Human on the Syfy channel.

http://www.syfy.com/beinghuman/index.php

It mostly showed George talking so I can't comment on any impressions of the other characters. I will say that I don't find their vampire to be attractive at all. Annie may be ok. Their George sucks though. I am completely prepared to hate it but I fully admit to prejudice for the UK version.

It's supposed to start Jan 17. Anyone planning on watching it?
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    I'll give it a try. I too, love the UK version, but I hate to dismiss it just because.

The one I'm actually excited about is Torchwood.

vCash
    There is going to be a US version of Torchwood? When will it start?

A little off topic but it sounds like Dr Who will have at least 1 episode in the US wild west which I'm looking forward to.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    I love the UK version of Being Human. I plan on watching the US version. I hope it is as good.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mpal2 View Post
    There is going to be a US version of Torchwood? When will it start?
    Last I heard they'd abandoned the idea of a separate US version of Torchwood (Fox withdrew from the project), but that they might base some of the season 4 episodes in the US. That info might be out of date, though.

Seems pretty pointless to do a US version, IMO.

I'm trying to keep an open mind about a US Being Human, but I'm not optimistic either.
    Last edited by Artemis@BC; 12-28-2010 at 09:48 PM.

vCash
    The whole season of Torchwood (and any future seasons) will be filmed/based in Los Angeles. BBC is skint for money, so the US cable network Starz is picking up a lot of the cost of the show. That's the main reason why it's been moved. The show is keeping the original creator/head writer/show runner Russell T. Davies, so I don't think its tone will change much. He's also hired a lot of former Buffy and Angel writers and producers, which has probably gotten my hopes way up. AFAIK, Captain Jack, Gwen, Rhys and even PC Andy will all still be main characters.

Mekhi Pfifer and Bill Pullman have been cast as well, but I don't know what their parts will be. I'm trying to not be completely spoiled.

vCash
    Will Torchwood still be on BBC America if Starz is picking up the tab?

vCash
    No, it will be aired on Starz.

vCash
    Damn. I don't get Starz.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I'm trying to keep an open mind about a US Being Human, but I'm not optimistic either.
    I'm a bit heartened that they set the US version in Boston, rather than someplace like NYC. I feel like they're at least thinking it through; trying to set the series in a place that fits it well. We'll see.

The guy playing the werewolf is actually from southern NH, so he might be able to do a Boston-ish accent. For which, if his character is supposed to be from Mass., I will be forever grateful, because faked Boston accents tend to be god-awful. And for that *alone* - for casting an actor who might not make me cringe - I will watch.

Of course, it's being filmed in Canada, though. :rollseyes: But at least it's filmed in Montreal, which has a bit of the look of Boston.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Damn. I don't get Starz.
    Is that a pay channel? I don't get Starz.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Is that a pay channel? I don't get Starz.
    Yes. It's one of the paid movie channels. Although I think that might depend on your service provider and package purchased. I know that Direct TV will give you Encore channels with the HD package. I don't know about any others.

vCash
    Here's the deal with the new Torchwood:

It will be set after the events of Children of the Earth. It will take place on a "global scale". Captain Jack, Gwen, Rhys and Andy! will be back, along with a bunch of new cast members - including Mekhi Pfifer and Bill Pullman. It will be 10 episodes long, set to air summer of 2011.

It is a joint BBC/Starz production, with Russell Davies and Julie Gardner, the original producers, at the helm. Among the new writers - Jane Espenson (of Whedonverse and Battlestar Galactica) and John Shiban (Breaking Bad, Supernatural & The X-Files). I think Jane is writing 4 of the eps.

It will air on Starz in the US - but - and this is only going from their previous shows - it will probably be available sometime after airing on Netflix "Starz Play" for instant viewing.

When they set the writing staff I became officially excited, and someone mentioned that, based on comments RTS made in his book, he's learned that "adult" doesn't mean more sex, but more depth. So, I'm hoping for something along the lines of CotE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Here's the deal with the new Torchwood: It will be set after the events of Children of the Earth. It will take place on a "global scale". Captain Jack, Gwen, Rhys and Andy!
    Hey, so long as Jack & Gwen are still on board, everything else is gravy as far as I'm concerned!

Speaking of Gwen, anyone else catch "Framed" on Masterpiece Theatre a couple of weeks ago? Eve Myles was in it, playing village schoolteacher. I just got around to watching it the other night, and it was very good.

vCash
    Here is a very detailed report of the Torchwood TCA panel. Instead of Torchwood: New World, the official title is now "Torchwood: Miracle Day". From the description, it seems like the move to L.A. is explained when

Spoiler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy L View Post
    The whole season of Torchwood (and any future seasons) will be filmed/based in Los Angeles. BBC is skint for money, so the US cable network Starz is picking up a lot of the cost of the show. That's the main reason why it's been moved. The show is keeping the original creator/head writer/show runner Russell T. Davies, so I don't think its tone will change much. He's also hired a lot of former Buffy and Angel writers and producers, which has probably gotten my hopes way up. AFAIK, Captain Jack, Gwen, Rhys and even PC Andy will all still be main characters.
    Sounds quite promising, esp since Captain Jack and Gwen will be back.

Damn. I don't get Starz.
    Nor do I, but for Torchwood, I would subscribe.

I'm conflicted about a US version of Being Human. US copies of British shows often lack the charm and humor of the original (see Life on Mars), and I will miss the adorable Russell Tovey. But I'll keep an open mind and at least give it a chance.

vCash

Stupid Syfy. The US Mitchell can read minds and erase memories. WTH ARE THEY TRYING TO TWILIGHT HIM?

vCash
    For Canadian viewers, this premiers tonight on Space. 10:00 Eastern / here on the left coast it's 7:00 with a repeat at 10:00.

I'm still skeptical that it will be anywhere near as good as the UK version, but I'll give it a whirl.

vCash
    Well, I watched. Still not nearly as good as the UK version, but actually quite a bit better than I thought it would be. I'd probably give it a 6.5 out of 10, and I'll watch at least one more episode.

The acting was fine (although I thought Mark Pellegrino/Bishop was too in-your-face evil, compared to Jason Watkins/Herrick in the UK version), but they could have used some better material to work with. And it really underscored the difference between UK and US TV: UK TV is more subtle, and treats the viewer's intelligence with more respect.

Small quibble: I liked that they started off with a couple of great indie songs -- "A Mirror Without" (Royal Wood) and "Weighty Ghost" (Wintersleep) -- but then they didn't carry that through, and played schlocky studio music the rest of the way. I wouldn't have noticed the schlock if they hadn't gotten my hopes up!

(BTW, technically I think this is more accurately called the "North American version" rather than the "US version." It's not just filmed in Montreal, it's made by a Canadian production company.)
    Last edited by Artemis@BC; 01-18-2011 at 05:36 PM.

vCash
    I didn't watch, but curious if they avoided any "oops" French signs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast