Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Thumbs up Detroit SC's "Champions Ice Revue" on Jan. 8 (Sat. 6 pm)

Meryl Davis/Charlie White, Jeremy Abbott, Alissa Czisny, Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje, Tomas Verner, and Grant Hochstein are scheduled to perform.

For more info: http://www.freep.com/article/2010122...ills-ice-revue

vCash
    Sounds like an amazing show!

vCash
    From DSC's December newsletter:
    DSC will be presenting our annual “Champions Ice Revue” on Saturday evening, January 8, 2011 at 6:00 pm. Our National, Junior National and International skaters will be skating, along with a performance from Evolution Synchro Team. Tickets are $12 for bleacher seating and $20 for gold seats and are on sale in the main office during regular business hours. Tickets can also be purchased with a credit card by calling the ticket line at 248-332-3000 x101.

vCash
    I'm planning to try to go to this if the weather is good. If anyone else is going, let me know. I'd love to have someone to sit with.

vCash
    I'm going to be there with my Mom and her friend. Look around for me TG!! This was a lot of fun. If you plan to go and buy tickets at the door, the gold seats were sold out weeks in advance. Last year there was standing room only.D&W did Nutcracker, W&P did POTO, Alissa did her sp, so did Jeremy. The only problem was unlike SD they had the hockey ice glass up. So front row seats weren't that good. Last year we got there around 430 and by 5pm it was packed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticchic View Post
    I'm going to be there with my Mom and her friend. Look around for me TG!! This was a lot of fun. If you plan to go and buy tickets at the door, the gold seats were sold out weeks in advance. Last year there was standing room only.D&W did Nutcracker, W&P did POTO, Alissa did her sp, so did Jeremy. The only problem was unlike SD they had the hockey ice glass up. So front row seats weren't that good. Last year we got there around 430 and by 5pm it was packed.
    Where are the gold seats? That has been confusing me.

vCash
    There are seats that are actually gold in color there - right in the center of the stands. I assume that's what that means. I was there Thursday night for open skating and should have bought my tickets then. So cool to skate on that ice!

vCash
    Looking forward to reports and photos (and maybe videos?) from those of you fortunate to attend!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25 View Post
    There are seats that are actually gold in color there - right in the center of the stands. I assume that's what that means. I was there Thursday night for open skating and should have bought my tickets then. So cool to skate on that ice!
    Are they... better than the other ones? I'm not getting it. Ah, well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Are they... better than the other ones? I'm not getting it. Ah, well.
    They're more like actual chairs, instead of just a bleacher bench.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    They're more like actual chairs, instead of just a bleacher bench.
    Ah, okay thanks!

vCash
    Yes, the gold chairs are seats, while the rest are benches. Personally, I would not spend extra for them. There really is no bad seat. The seating area is quite small.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25 View Post
    Yes, the gold chairs are seats, while the rest are benches. Personally, I would not spend extra for them. There really is no bad seat. The seating area is quite small.
    Yeah, I have regular tickets. The woman on the phone said the will call would open at 5 and the doors would open around 5:15.

vCash
    Here's hoping some of you lucky attendees will share some impressions/highlights from tonight's show!

vCash
    Oh yeah I forgot that was tonight. Can't wait for reports!

vCash
    Okay, I guess that's me then.

I didn't take any notes because it was a show and that would have been awkward so I'm just going from memory so nothing will be very specific.

They divided all of the skaters up into four groups and had them do a regular warmup. All of the skaters (I think) did competitive programs. Are Juvenile skaters allowed to do music with lyrics?

Anyways, the first group and a half were skaters who had been to Junior Nationals and all of them were very good. And tiny. Although this show did violate my policy of never watching pairs below junior level (I always think that they are going to die). The rest of the second group were novice dancers. They were good too (although I can't remember their names, sorry! I didn't get a program).

Then they had a Zamboni break. I amused myself by watching the skaters warm up on the floor. Kaitlyn Weaver and Andrew Poje were warming up kind of separately. He was dancing very dramatically. Alone. On the floor. It was pretty hilarious. Jeremy Abbott was warming up by the rink and looking pretty serious until he got mobbed by little girls asking for an autograph. Kaitlyn and Andrew got mobbed by the same girls a little later and Andrew ended swinging one of them around. It was very cute.

In group three were two junior US ice dance teams: Anastasia Olson &
    Jordan Cowan and Alexandra Aldridge & Daniel Eaton. I had seen both of their programs and mids and thought they were the class of the field. They were both great again. Aldridge & Eaton's FD is to Romeo and Juliet. I'm a sucker for R&J at the best of times, and their FD is really nice. I thought they were a little bit rougher than mids but that's not surprising since this isn't really a competition atmosphere. Olson & Cowan's program is to Zoot Suit Riot and it is very energetic. The lifts were great and they have good presentation. They do a great job of keeping up with the fast music.

Also in group three were two US senior men: Grant Hochstein and William Brewster. Grant is great. He had some jump issues here which I hope he can clean up for Nationals but I really enjoy watching him. He did his SP which I like. I hope he can get his jumps together because he's nice to watch. William Brewster did his LP. He skated pretty well but I swear he used to be more of a ginger. And his music still makes me very sleeeeeeepy.

Group three also included a dance team from Australia who were good but unfortunately I can't remember their names. And a girl who I think they said was from Greece? She was a bit rough.

Final group had a pretty impressive list of accomplishments all together (also a fairly impressive ability to melt down).

Becky Bereswill & Trevor Young skated first and skated their LP to Chicago. I've reported on them three times already this year so I think that everyone knows that I really like them. This wasn't their best skate but the program is still great for them. I am not sure what is going on with their last lift because it seemed really short this time as well. I really like the lifts in this program, though.

Next were Madison & Keiffer Hubbell. They did their FD but it took me a while to figure out that it was their FD because they wore black costumes that didn't look anything like their normal FD costumes. Keiffer started the program by falling on crossovers right out of the gate. After that they did well. I like this program for them and I'm hoping that they can pull it all together because I think they will have a really good shot at the podium if they do.

Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje were next. They did their FD and they were excellent. It still isn't my favorite program but I liked it so much more live. They did a wonderful job. She needs to lose the dog collar though. I really hope they can kick this program's butt at nationals and win/be second (depending on whether Tessa & Scott compete).

After that was Tomas Verner. He was pretty good. He popped a few jumps but sold the program really well so I don't think most of the audience noticed.

Then Jeremy Abbott skated his LP. I love his program and I'm glad I got to see it but he had a rough night. Lots of pops and step outs. I feel like Jeremy never puts two great programs in a row so maybe this is a sign that he's got plenty left for Nationals.

Alissa Czisny was next and she had, well, she had a rough night, too. I think she missed every single one of her jumps. On the upside, she skated her SP so there were only three jumping passes. I love watching her spin though. Still can't figure out why she had that purple smudge added to her dress.

Meryl and Charlie were last and they skated their SD. They did a beautiful job. Everyone has seen this program by now so I don't need to give details. But they were really great. I didn't notice any mistakes. I saw this program live before the GP series. I'm really impressed with how much cleaner and sharper the program is.

The herded all of the skaters out to take a bow which was pretty funny.

I took a bunch of pictures and I will edit them and post them as soon as I have time but the lighting was pretty weird (I think maybe partially because I was sitting in the last row to try to see over the hockey glass) so we'll see what I can get out of them.

vCash
    Thanks so much for the report TG! Can't wait to see everyone skate at Nats.

vCash
    Thank you, Theatregirl!

Great report, as usual.

vCash
    Someone just sent me a photo with the Aussie dance team.

It is Danielle O'Brien and Greg Merriman.

How nice that they got an opportunity to perform in that show.
    Last edited by Aussie Willy; 01-09-2011 at 06:34 AM.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Someone just sent me a photo with the Aussie dance team.

It is Danielle O'Brien and Greg Merriman.
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast