Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    Tro-lo-lo
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Oh ! You call the "O" face a brilliant expression ?
    She did many more different facial expressions too.

If Leonova isn't expressive, I don't know who is.

I realise her style might not be everybody's cup of tea but at least she has any. Heaps of it too!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    These younger girls are still junior skaters. To accomplish what they did at the age they are is an enormous achievement. Technically they have what they need to compete at senior ranks. But you cannot expect a junior skater to have the same maturity and understanding of music. That comes with time, experience and practise.
    Oh, I absolutely agree on all counts.

Hence my question: Will they be able to get there in time?

Even a skater like Arakawa back at the 98 Olympics had very little musical expression. She looked awkward and unrefined and basically coped with the choreography she was given. She was probably about 16 at the time. Fast forward to 2006 and she was the Olympic champion and everyone seemed to be raving about her expression.
    I much preferred Arakawa's skating and programs from 1998.

I consider Arakawa winning 2006 Olympics the most depressing thing to happen in figure skating ever.

Even Yu-Na and Mao at that age were not hitting their straps with expression.
    I don't remember Mao's skating when she was a Junior but Yu-Na's skating was very mature already when she was 13.

I've seen her first Junior performance live and I remember how awestruck I was.

vCash
    ^^ Yuna also wasn't attempting nearly as difficult content and hadn't yet mastered difficult CoP spins when she was the same age as Liza and Adelina though.

Also, here's another picture from the GPF: http://visualrian.com/storage2/Previ...jpg?1292003384
    Adelina is way taller than Liza and much broader through the shoulders, compared to Liza she looks much more mature, so for now I think she's a safer bet for the future. Liza is just still so tiny that it's hard to tell how a growth spurt could affect her skating, and where she hasn't been doing 3-3s much lately I'm already a little concerned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    ^^ Yuna also wasn't attempting nearly as difficult content and hadn't yet mastered difficult CoP spins when she was the same age as Liza and Adelina though.
    I think she had 3lutz/3toe in her first season already? Or was it the second season? Or was it 3toe/3toe? Can't remember now.

She was a pretty much complete skater at the age of 13 though and that's seen very very rarely (well, her programs were dull but she was skating them beauitfully).

Spins - fair enough. But CoP was still quite new back then. Liza and Adelina grew up with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I think she had 3lutz/3toe in her first season already? Or was it the second season? Or was it 3toe/3toe? Can't remember now.
    She introduced the 3T+3T at Junior Worlds.

Yu-Na was very good in her first junior season indeed, but I don't think she was at all expressive or mature. The following year, I think that really changed - I loved her LP & exhibition at Junior Worlds the year she won.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

She was a pretty much complete skater at the age of 13 though and that's seen very very rarely (well, her programs were dull but she was skating them beauitfully).

Spins - fair enough. But CoP was still quite new back then. Liza and Adelina grew up with it.
    She didn't do any 3-3s when she was 13. When she was 14, she did 3t-3t for the first time at junior worlds. The next season when she was 15 she did a 3f-3t and 2a-3t in her FS, but only did a 3f-2t as her combo in the SP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    She didn't do any 3-3s when she was 13. When she was 14, she did 3t-3t for the first time at junior worlds. The next season when she was 15 she did a 3f-3t and 2a-3t in her FS, but only did a 3f-2t as her combo in the SP.
    Yuna did 3Lz-3T for the first time at 2005 JGP(sofia cup).
    There Yuna missed a planned 3F-3T, so instead did 3Lz-3T.
    But I cannot find the then video.
    protocol : http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7255/10575786.jpg

Anyway, Russian young girls' jump layouts are astonishing.
    Last edited by EricRohmer; 01-05-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567