Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I agree it is too early yet to know what will happen in the next few seasons. Puberty, injuries etc may change everything.

However, I disagree that that the Russian Babes turned out to be over-rated. How many girls at your nationals do triple-triple combinations? There is a reason why the Russian babes won so many medals at junior grand prix this season.
    Please stop calling them babes

Other than that, I agree with everything - those girls are extremely talented and unusually advanced for their age, but then again, puberty can literally destroy it all, so lets just wait and see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    Sour grapes trimmed
    That kimchi must taste pretty bitter going down, eh? You're probably hyperventilating after witnessing Sotnikova's technically amazing Nats performances this week, and you should be. If puberty is kind to her and she proves to be mentally tough, she should be on track for the OGM come Sochi. Already, her programs are much more technically challenging than Kim's ever have been, and she is only 14.

Oh, and nice try in using the Japanese and American skaters to take the heat, so to speak.

vCash
    Nevermind
    Last edited by Lookingood; 12-29-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: I should just ignore

vCash
    These Russian girls have restored my interest in Ladies again. Anyone or anything can be overhyped, actually if a skater is projected to be the Next Big Thing, it's inevitable for her/ him not to be overhyped to certain extent. Over-excitement can be interpreted as overhyped, maybe some can get carried away in hyperbole when describing these girls, but overall I think it's good for the sport of FS. All of them are impressive in their own ways.

I for one am quite excited at the prospect of watching these girls develop into their individual styles and advance their technique in upcoming seasons. I definitely think Yulia Lipnitskaya will be the one to beat of all these Russian girls. She's built more like a gymnast than a dancer, so I think physically that will also work in her favor. Also, she has a fearless quality on the ice; I like that she just goes for it. But I would like to see less rhythmic gymnast poses on ice in her programs, other than that I think she's wonderful.

On the other hand the gangly Adelina Sotnikova, whom I also love, is already 5'3" and I'm afraid if she grows to be 5'7 or taller, her jumps would be affected. Adelina needs to start drinking vodka to stunt her own growth....just kidding. If she continues to develop the artistic side while retaining strong spins and jumps, she could be incredible.

Liza Tuktamysheva, she's the one that I like the least of what I believe to be the future top three Russian ladies, 3A and all. Though she can prove me wrong by learning to skate to music not through it. Her choreography needs less superfluous arm movements; actually her choreography is a big weakness compared to Adelina or even Yulia. But I guess it's easier to concentrate on jumps if the choreo is less challenging. I have to say however, her jumps are really awesome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    It sounds like someone's perhaps a little worried about their favorite skater gettin' owned in the near future
    My thought, too.

And this guy's favorite will Not be Kanako or Mirai or Alissa.

Quote Originally Posted by portia View Post
    Anyone or anything can be overhyped, actually if a skater is projected to be the Next Big Thing, it's inevitable for her/ him not to be overhyped to certain extent.
    I agree.
    Last edited by EricRohmer; 12-30-2010 at 06:37 AM.

vCash
    If Adelina is 5'3" at 14 and a half, I doubt she ends up 5'7"+, because she already has had her big growthspurt. More likely she will grow slowly over the next few years and end between 5'4" (163 cm) and 5'6" (168 cm), which is pretty standard for a female figure skater these days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    That kimchi must taste pretty bitter going down, eh? You're probably hyperventilating after witnessing Sotnikova's technically amazing Nats performances this week, and you should be. If puberty is kind to her and she proves to be mentally tough, she should be on track for the OGM come Sochi. Already, her programs are much more technically challenging than Kim's ever have been, and she is only 14.

Oh, and nice try in using the Japanese and American skaters to take the heat, so to speak.
    LOL, do you think OP(MrLucky) is yuna's fan?

The latest new is that Yuna's new coach has injured his back by constantly bending over and trying to get her to point her toes.

Apparently we will see the same old Yuna with nice jumps and everything else mediocre at best.
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...t=76569&page=5
    Last edited by EricRohmer; 12-30-2010 at 03:35 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    If Adelina is 5'3" at 14 and a half, I doubt she ends up 5'7"+, because she already has had her big growthspurt. More likely she will grow slowly over the next few years and end between 5'4" (163 cm) and 5'6" (168 cm), which is pretty standard for a female figure skater these days.
    Friend of mine (female) had her last growth spurt in her early 20's. She wen't from 5'10" to 6'. Lucky for her she was a dancer on cruise ships so it was an advantage for her career wise (just not going through doorways).
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash

Ah, MrLucky you are a great troll. You have the special distinction of being called both a Yu-Na bot by paranoid mrinalini's and a Mao bot by paranoid Yu-Na fans. As if the major figure skating nations aren't the U.S., Japan, and Russia. Next time, try incorporating some of Canada, will ya?

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=74935&page=25

That curry must taste pretty bitter.

Honestly though, while MrLucky liberally takes potshots at some of the best female skaters we've had and some of the best that may yet still come, I must admit that I don't expect too much from Tuktamysheva's packaging and programs due to her being under Mishin. She will probably be brilliant and uninspiring (I'm sorry Liza fans)

Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya look the most promising to me.

vCash
    The question (other than puberty which is an obvious issue) is:

Are they going to manage to develop beyond being jumping beans?

Sotnikova is most likely probably, but she was so totally out of time at Nats, it was painful. She couldn't hit a single accent.

Tuktamysheva's basic skating improved a bit and she's quite expressive and can move to the music but her programs are awful. And yes Mishin isn't very likely to give her better packaging.

Lipnitskaya's programs this year are a big dissapointment. Totally empty, no style. Her upbeat "kiddie" routines from last year were better. If they wanted to make her look more mature, they failed.

Shelepen's choreography was ok but her basics are quite poor and programs looked messy.

Agafonova was just dull and generic.

Yes they are kids, I know. Hence the question: Will the above improve a lot over time?

Leonova blew them all out of the water with her speed, spark and brilliant expression.

Would be nice if any of them ever got to her standard, presentation-wise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    Friend of mine (female) had her last growth spurt in her early 20's. She wen't from 5'10" to 6'. Lucky for her she was a dancer on cruise ships so it was an advantage for her career wise (just not going through doorways).
    Well it's different for everyone....my sister grew an inch in college, but looking at Adelina now she doesn't appear to be all legs so I don't think she will probably end up very tall. Shelepen is only a little taller than her but she is the one who looks like she could potentially be 5'7"+, just looking at her body proportions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EricRohmer View Post
    LOL, do you think OP(MrLucky) is yuna's fan?

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...t=76569&page=5

Do some research first.

@ kimchi reference.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Sorry, but not good enough.

Am I wrong?
    Yes.. they did you watch them? They certainly held up their end of the hype.. I just hope they have as much potential post puberty .. stay tuned for Sochi
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Sotnikova is most likely probably, but she was so totally out of time at Nats, it was painful. She couldn't hit a single accent.
    Don't know what you mean. She finished right on time:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScHLHx8AMpw

Maybe you watched another youtube version (which I also saw) where audio/video were out of sync?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    Don't know what you mean. She finished right on time:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScHLHx8AMpw
    What I meant was that during her FS performance at Russian Nationals, she didn't move in time with the music. And even the moves she did to the accents were all off.

She's got great posture and lines and I like her kneebend so she has all the right basics to become an all-round skater. Just skate to the music next time, please.

vCash

I'd feel like a fool if I were you.

vCash

((((((mrinalini))))))

That's all right. All men are able to error.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post

I'd feel like a fool if I were you.
    I doubt it. mrinalini always keeps trying to relate anything bad to YuNa. She even posted the notorious YuNa-hate video here on FSU. What can you expect?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Leonova blew them all out of the water with her speed, spark and brilliant expression.
    Oh ! You call the "O" face a brilliant expression ?

vCash
    I hope Russina Ladies stop skating like Men. This little Adelina shows hope - that russian Lady might actually show artistic skating. The other "babies" are sadly not even as good as Rachael.....shrug...
    The original poster just hasn't seen Anna Ovcharova skate yet.
    She's definitely my favorite of the new crop of female Russian skaters.
    Sadly she's injured and won't be back until next season.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast