Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ltnskater View Post
    LMAO sorry...but this just made me laugh Michelle is not even a top USA lady???? no really.. you have to be joking here...
    No, she is not anymore !
    (I'm a huge Kwan fan )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    I don't listen to hype. I watch skating.

Carol skated in the style of Sonja Henie and Barbara Ann Scott, which emphasized Victorian gentility, including bent limbs to emphasize the effortlessness of their skating.
    That is really interesting, I didnt know the bent limbs were meant to be for this reason, when I m watching oldies I always was wondering why they didnt strech their leg in landings or camels etc..I ll look now with a different eye, thanx!
    What is MVO?

vCash
    MVO = Maribel Vincent Owens.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    That is really interesting, I didnt know the bent limbs were meant to be for this reason, when I m watching oldies I always was wondering why they didnt strech their leg in landings or camels etc..I ll look now with a different eye, thanx!
    What is MVO?
    It's also known as the art deco style. Straight free legs weren't really in vogue universally until the late 1950's but some skaters used this style before then, including Tenley, Cecilia Colledge in her later years and MVO (Maribel Vinson Owen).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    ...Mirai was good at 13 and 14 yes, but she was also way smaller (4'7) than Adelina (5'3") and Liza (5'1") are now, so it was clearly easier to get those triples done. ...
    Adelina and Liza are that tall at the age of 14? How tall will they get?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Congratulations to Adelina for winning the Russian championship. She has the advantage of not being with Mishin which should continue to help her especially in the packaging area.

But she does not look 5'3.

Maybe more like 4'11 or 5'0.

Some posters get very excited talking about the height and growth of these young skaters

Interesting that Adelina did not top Flatt's score at US Natls from last season.
    I am very curious about the scores we will see at US Natls this season.

If Flatt is clean will US judges score her high enough to break Yuna's scoring record

Anything is possible at Natls

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    According to ISU bios, yes. I don't know if that is a reliable source of information but http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010832.htm Adelina is listed as 160 cm (5'3") and http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00010705.htm Liza is 156 cm (5'1.5"). I feel like Russian people on average are taller than most Americans though, average women in Russia are around 5'6" (168 cm) so that may be how tall Adelina and Liza end up, but nowadays a lot of skaters are that height and taller but still successful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    Actually, Czisny has the highest score in ladies this season.

1 Alissa CZISNY USA 180.75 63.76 116.99 GP Final (172.37 at Skate Canada, 159.80 at TEB)
    2 Adelina SOTNIKOVA RUS 178.97 61.32 117.65 JGP Austria (169.81 at JGP Final)
    This is a major factoid. So can Czisny sustain this through Nationals & Worlds? If so, this would be the Skating Resurrection of the Century.

Back to topic: I agree that the Russian Babes turned out to be over-rated, even though they are still among the best at present. Let's see them post-puberty, in a couple of years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    This is a major factoid. So can Czisny sustain this through Nationals & Worlds? If so, this would be the Skating Resurrection of the Century.

Back to topic: I agree that the Russian Babes turned out to be over-rated, even though they are still among the best at present. Let's see them post-puberty, in a couple of years.
    I agree and also agree it is too early yet to know what will happen in the next few seasons.
    But so much hype over the young Russians and also for Christina Gao who laid an egg at the JGPF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    I agree and also agree it is too early yet to know what will happen in the next few seasons.
    But so much hype over the young Russians and also for Christina Gao who laid an egg at the JGPF.
    Gao got unfair downgrades in the SP, but her FS was quite solid. Her PCS in the FS also clearly suffered from having to skate 2nd in the 2nd group. It was a deep field, and she did manage to come in 3rd in the FS, so really, I'm not that concerned. She's had a few bad SPs this season but all her FSs have been really strong, and she's managed to land and get credit for her 3f-3t in every competition she's competed in this season. Her 2a has bad technique, but it's just one jump, the rest of her jumps are gorgeous. I expect her to do quite well at nationals.

vCash
    Unfair downgrades? I think she's very lucky her double axel was given full credit.

vCash
    The best about these young girls is the fact that most of them have solid basics and jumps. Adelina's and Liza's jumps are textbook (except Adelina's lutz), high, fully rotated, with difficult entrances. TAT compared Sotnikova's jumps with Slutskaya, said she jumps the same way. The same can be said about Rosa Sheveleva and Sofia. Tutberidze's girls (Shelepen and Lipnitskaya) lack it a little, but improving and don't have Zhang's issues or something, Polina also jumps very high and with ease, her jumps are fully rotated. When she missed her 2A-3T she went and did 3Lz-3T instead like it was nothing. Julia rotates very fast in the air and is unique, because she has both jumps and flexibility like this. TAT said that Lipnitskaya has the same structure of the hips as Sasha Cohen and it's very rare. She also noted that Julia can do the second jump of combinations even better than the first.
    Puberty is the question, but when you have great basics it's easier and I think most of them will stay. And you know, if they already so good in 14 y.o. or so, we can only imagine how good they can be few years later both technically and artistically

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Unfair downgrades? I think she's very lucky her double axel was given full credit.
    I meant the 3lo and 3t, both of which were marked < but looked fine on replay. The 2a was borderline and could have gone either way, but the fact that they didn't downgrade that jump but did downgrade the other two is definitely sketchy. I don't think Christina has ever been issued a downgrade before.

vCash
    Actually, Christina received several downgrades on her jumps, primarily flip and lutz last year.

The judges think that she is far from Adelina and Liza's level even when they arent clean, as the JGPF shows.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    Actually, Czisny has the highest score in ladies this season.

1 Alissa CZISNY USA 180.75 63.76 116.99 GP Final (172.37 at Skate Canada, 159.80 at TEB)
    2 Adelina SOTNIKOVA RUS 178.97 61.32 117.65 JGP Austria (169.81 at JGP Final)

The Russians and Americans use to dominate ladies figure skating. Then the Japanese powerhouse took over. I'm expecting the Russians and Americans to reclaim their dominance once again. It will be a 3-way battle to see who gets 3 spots for the following year again soon. Maybe not this year, but in the years to come.

Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva are my favorite ladies to watch after Czisny. And they aren't even seniors yet. ....Baga is 4th.
    Since when have russian women dominated ladies figure skating? Irina has been the only russian woman in the last 30 years or so to be a top contender for more then a couple years. Other then that it's been pretty scarce to find contenders that were russian.

vCash
    Hello, Butyrskaya?!

vCash
    Again with the exception of winning Worlds in 1999 and a couple good years Butyrskaya was never a top contender.

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    Besides Slutskaya and Butyrskaya. Sokolova won a Worlds silver. Soldatova won a bronze. Volchkova was also close to the medals a few times.

Russia use to have 3 ladies for Worlds consistently.
    Last edited by AliasJohnDoe; 12-29-2010 at 07:49 PM.

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Again with the exception of winning Worlds in 1999 and a couple good years Butyrskaya was never a top contender.
    I really don't see how her results from 1998-2002 could consider her anything otherwise

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I agree that the Russian Babes turned out to be over-rated, even though they are still among the best at present. Let's see them post-puberty, in a couple of years.
    I agree it is too early yet to know what will happen in the next few seasons. Puberty, injuries etc may change everything.

However, I disagree that that the Russian Babes turned out to be over-rated. How many girls at your nationals do triple-triple combinations? There is a reason why the Russian babes won so many medals at junior grand prix this season.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast