Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    The problem is that it actually does portray what quite a few stutters go through. My cousin stuttered as a child and told me after seeing it two weeks ago that was his favourite scene because that's *exactly* how frustrated he got and sometimes how he lashed out.

I also think it's rather stupid in this day and age. I don't have a problem w/the F word so long as it's only used once or twice and the context of it being used fits/is right for the story. It's these F word laden so called Masterpieces that I have a problem w/.
    Some folks just don't enjoy hearing profanity, and I'm one of them. It's really offensive to me, and I find it vulgar no matter what the story is. Oh well, I can see that I'm definately in the minority here...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    FWIW, nubka, I hate it myself.

But I didn't mind it so much in TKS because it was in a different context than usual, and because, as someone said, it was all concentrated into two scenes (the second one being the scene right before the big speech).
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I dispise profanity; but it didn't bother me very much in TKS because the context was different. However, I would like to be able to show this movie to kids as a sort of quasi-history lesson, and I'd be much more comfortable doing that with the cussing removed. So, thumbs up from me...I'm very glad they're making that an option for people who don't want to hear the profanity. I know a LOT of conservative people who would love this film except they haven't seen it because of the swearing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I know a LOT of conservative people who would love this film except they haven't seen it because of the swearing.
    They must not go to many movies.

FWIW, it's not gratuitous profanity. Even Firth's character had a difficult time actually swearing, he's very reluctant to say such things. Remember that this is back in the 1930s - you think swear words are bad now, imagine how much more shocking they were then. I'm hard pressed to think of many movies that swearing is done in such a thoughtful way, and in such furtherance of the story that it would be lacking without it.

vCash
    I am just appalled that they would cut the movie just to appease people who don't like the language. First off, it's historically accurate. Logue did use this as part of the treatment. Secondly, as other's mentioned, it's the context that is key. The swearing is not gratuitious, nor is it used outside of the treatment. Thirdly, it's a plot element. It's breaking down the patient's barriers to treatment. We can only imagine the pressure Bertie was under, and the swearing treatment was done in part to relax him.

It's not like this movie is "The Hangover" with a f-bomb ever five seconds. Sheesh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Just read last night, that they will be releasing a PG-13 version of this movie for those that don't want to hear all the swearing - yea!!!!
    are they going to dub all the f bombs with "frig" or "frack" or just have them bleeped out and have it ____ __________ ________ _______ ____ though that whole scene!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I dispise profanity; but it didn't bother me very much in TKS because the context was different. However, I would like to be able to show this movie to kids as a sort of quasi-history lesson, and I'd be much more comfortable doing that with the cussing removed. So, thumbs up from me...I'm very glad they're making that an option for people who don't want to hear the profanity. I know a LOT of conservative people who would love this film except they haven't seen it because of the swearing.
    That's interesting. I know a ton of conservative people who have seen it and loved it, swearing and all. After I saw it, I kept telling all my friends, including church friends (even pastors!), to go, and all of them raved about it. (Which is the most unanimous reaction I've ever seen to any movie!) Anecdotal, of course, but still . . .

As for the cut version, I heard they're only taking out a couple of the "f---"s, not all of them.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Managed to see it today prior to its Oscar win. Absolutely loved it.

And ITA the cut version is ridiculous but if it means losing the stupid R rating so more kids can see it, at least that's one good thing.

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    So happy that Colin First won best actor. I was sure he wouldn't win, because that's usually how these things seem to work. The best picture Oscar was a bonus. One of those rare cases when a really good film actually won. Yay!
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Hop View Post
    So happy that Colin First won best actor. I was sure he wouldn't win, because that's usually how these things seem to work. The best picture Oscar was a bonus. One of those rare cases when a really good film actually won. Yay!
    Totally agree. Congrats to Colin (Mr. Darcy) and all of players involved in this wonderful film.

vCash
    I'm an adult moderate stutterer and have stuttered since I was a child. The swearing didn't bother me in the least. Why? Because I do the same thing (and don't stutter while doing it). It's not gratuitous. It is real.

vCash
    I'm so happy this film got the Oscar! Congratulations also to Colin Firth, his award was highly deserved!

vCash
    Wooooot!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I'm so happy this film got the Oscar! Congratulations also to Colin Firth, his award was highly deserved!
    I'm over the moon about this, on both accounts. I liked the Social Network, but The King's Speech touched me more.

I agree with those who said that the cursing in the film was not gratuitous. When this movie comes out on DVD, I want it uncensored. The "F" word as used here is so tame compared to the raunchy language used so casually in movies, TV, and in general conversation today.

vCash
    So thrilled that Colin got the Oscar. Still haven't seen this film but it is one I do want to see very much.

Colin Firth is an amazing actor and I am so happy that he got recognized for his ability!!
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678