Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Saw it with my best friend today; we both loved it, especially that there were parts that had us laughing like crazy. That was a bit unexpected. All of the acting was fantastic, and Colin Firth just gets better and better.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    BBC America is running a 30 minute documentary on the making of the film, Sunday at 7:30 ET.

http://press.bbcamerica.com/press-release.jsp?id=23424

vCash
    Cool! Thanks for the alert.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    We just saw this, fabulous movie, excellent acting all around.

The only thing that marred it for me was that we saw it in a double theater that was playing the Black Swan next door, and the sound of that movie overpowered some of the waiting for Colin to speak scenes. Grrr.

I was kind of thinking anyway that I wanted to see it again before I noticed this noise disruption, it's that good, I never see movies twice, so maybe I'll get there.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Saw it tonight. Brilliant.

Was just reading up o members of the Royal Family. I was surprised to see this:
    In 1987, [Queen Mother] was criticised when it emerged that two of her nieces, Katherine Bowes-Lyon and Nerissa Bowes-Lyon, had both been committed to a psychiatric hospital because they were severely handicapped. However, Burke's Peerage had listed the sisters as dead, apparently because their mother, Fenella (the Queen Mother's sister-in-law), "was 'extremely vague' when it came to filling in forms and might not have completed the paperwork for the family entry correctly".[135] When Nerissa had died the year before, her grave was originally marked with a plastic tag and a serial number. The Queen Mother claimed that the news of their institutionalisation came as a surprise to her.[136]
    Yikes. She didn't know her own niece were alive for decades? And there were three other cousins (all sisters) who were mentally handicapped too? What was going on in that branch of the family?
    Last edited by manleywoman; 01-08-2011 at 06:07 AM.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Who cares about the swearing. It was in context and if was portrayed in the film as one of the methods used to help him learn to overcome his stammer entirely appropriate to have that in a movie. I cannot believe they would give a film in the US an R rating over that when there was absolutely nothing else offensive in it. Stupidity at the fore.
    I don't think it's stupid to give it R. Kids who have not yet grown up/matured can be influenced by the swearing negatively. Adults understand, just like you did, what the purpose of the swearing was. An adolescent may just get hung up on the swearing and miss the essence of the movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    What was going on in that branch of the family?
    Families are weird. Royal or common -- they're all weird. I've ceased to be surprised by anything they do!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post

Yikes. She didn't know her own niece were alive for decades? And there were three other cousins (all sisters) who were mentally handicapped too? What was going on in that branch of the family?
    i have no idea what my cousins and nephews are up to and i want it that way

The only thing that marred it for me was that we saw it in a double theater that was playing the Black Swan next door
    you didnt see it the bryn mawr film institute did you?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't think it's stupid to give it R. Kids who have not yet grown up/matured can be influenced by the swearing negatively. Adults understand, just like you did, what the purpose of the swearing was. An adolescent may just get hung up on the swearing and miss the essence of the movie.
    I am sure adolescents hear worse in the playground and their normal social circumstances everyday. In a film like this that is portraying part of history and in context, then just the language on it's own should not mean the film is given an R rating. In Australia it has been given an M rating which means 15 and over.

I am pretty sure most teenagers by that age would understand the context of the scene, and going by most teenagers I know, they swear anyway. Put it this way, the film is not going to teach them anything they don't already know. Unless they have been hidden away in a cupboard for years and only released to see the movie. And that would be illegal.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Sorry, but R for a film with a few fcucks thrown in is ridiculous. What kind of sheltered adolescent would get hung up on hearing a swear word?

I was at the cinema today to see another film and the rating here for "The Kings Speech" is 12A, i.e. no-one under the age of 12 can see it unless accompanied by an adult.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I could understand that, except for one thing. I see films with sex scenes, huge amounts of violence (even beheadings), torture etc. Get far less ratings than this movie.

I'm sorry but the context of the swear words too, was such that it wasn't really so bad to me. There's a time and a place sometimes to swear. I think swearing all the time is stupid, but in some specific occassions, I don't have as much of an issue. I'm hardly someone who swears all the time.

vCash
    Saw it today. Fabulous movie!

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    my parents saw this movie today and claimed it was one of the best movies they have ever seen (and they are certainly not monarchy fans) - they are both in their 70's, well read and avid movie fans.. so now I need to find someone to watch it with me ... as hubby waits for the dvd
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    My mum and her husband saw it too and thought it was fantastic. They don't go to the movies often. Also Mum's husband is Irish and doesn't have any love for the monarchy but still found the subject matter really interesting.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Have to chime in as well. Went to see this last night. I LOATHE going to theatres these days and where I'm living now the theatre is dire but this film was sooooooo good I didn't whine or shift in my seat once.

Fantastic film. Great acting. I even liked Helena Bonham Carter which coming from me is a huge compliment.

Has a 14A rating here.

eta..It did make me curious about David and his relationship with Wallis Simpson. This film made it seem he wasn't all that interested in being King anyway whereas I saw another film long ago (can't remember name) which made it seem it was much more of a struggle. Would be interested in reading more on that.
    Last edited by marbri; 01-10-2011 at 04:32 AM.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    my parents saw this movie today and claimed it was one of the best movies they have ever seen (and they are certainly not monarchy fans) - they are both in their 70's, well read and avid movie fans.. so now I need to find someone to watch it with me ... as hubby waits for the dvd
    I go to the movies all the time by myself. I rather enjoy it; no one is asking questions and I can do as I please without asking or telling anyone!
    I suddenly find myself older than I ever intended to be--Roxy Hart in "Chicago"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I am sure adolescents hear worse in the playground and their normal social circumstances everyday. In a film like this that is portraying part of history and in context, then just the language on it's own should not mean the film is given an R rating. In Australia it has been given an M rating which means 15 and over.

I am pretty sure most teenagers by that age would understand the context of the scene, and going by most teenagers I know, they swear anyway. Put it this way, the film is not going to teach them anything they don't already know. Unless they have been hidden away in a cupboard for years and only released to see the movie. And that would be illegal.

First, here is the USA, some parts of the country find swearing very offensive and may want to shelter their kids (or at least tell them not to use such words).

Second, R rating only means if you are under 17, you need to be accompanied by a parent. It does not keep them from seeing the movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I could understand that, except for one thing. I see films with sex scenes, huge amounts of violence (even beheadings), torture etc. Get far less ratings than this movie.

I'm sorry but the context of the swear words too, was such that it wasn't really so bad to me. There's a time and a place sometimes to swear. I think swearing all the time is stupid, but in some specific occassions, I don't have as much of an issue. I'm hardly someone who swears all the time.

ITA. The violence in some movies is too much for even me, and some movies have sex scenes that should probabably warrant a R rating. Compared to the violence in particular the swearing is quite harmless. However, if you go to certain parts of the USA, people are desensitized to violence, but not to swear words. Go figure.

vCash
    First, here is the USA, some parts of the country find swearing very offensive and may want to shelter their kids (or at least tell them not to use such words).

Second, R rating only means if you are under 17, you need to be accompanied by a parent. It does not keep them from seeing the movie.
    R rating in Australia means that you can only see it if you are over 18.

Of course many parents are concerned about their kids being exposed to swearing or swearing themselves and it is not only in the US. I don't always think it is appropriate to swear all the time (and I know people who do). But when it comes to a movie where swearing is the only issue and is actually important in the context of the movie, then it is not that bad a thing.

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutzcy View Post
    I go to the movies all the time by myself. I rather enjoy it; no one is asking questions and I can do as I please without asking or telling anyone!
    what a good idea.. i think I might escape for a few hours this weekend by myself and watch it..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast