Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    It's still in only 700 theaters. I know a lot of people who want to see it, so here's hoping it expands soon.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    One of my friends tried to see it this weekend, and it wasn't playing in her city. I was shocked - considering the critical acclaim it has received. Perhaps as we near award season...

vCash
    I saw it yesterday too. Loved the relationshop between Bertie/Elizabeth and the children. He told such a great story to the Princesses before their bedtime. The Royal Penguin was hysterical and reminds me of the stories my uncle would make up and tell us at bedtime. Very good movie.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I went with a fellow music major, and we spent a lot of time exclaiming in surprise at the great use of so many classical pieces (when was the last time I hear Mozart's clarinet concerto at the movies, even if they totally skipped playing more than 3 measures of the clarinet itself?) - and my God, the way they used the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 7th was just... so perfect. That's my favorite symphony and I was just beyond emotionally moved in that moment.
    Beethoven's 7.2 () is my all-time favourite symphonic work too -- although its use in Immortal Beloved is probably still the best, with The King's Speech might as a very, very close second. Of course Immortal Beloved has a somewhat unfair advantage.

I also loved the use of Beethoven's "Emperor" concerto immediately after, another favourite of mine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    The movie "The Fall" (starring Pushing Daisies' Lee Pace, it's gorgeous yet practically unknown) used Beethoven's 7th extensively: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0LYcCoeJY
    FABULOUS movie. Gorgeous just to look at.

I heard Beethoven's 7th for the first time my freshman year of college and have LOVED LOVED LOVED it ever since. It's even more fun to PLAY!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Beethoven's 7.2 () is my all-time favourite symphonic work too -- although its use in Immortal Beloved is probably still the best, with The King's Speech might as a very, very close second. Of course Immortal Beloved has a somewhat unfair advantage.

I also loved the use of Beethoven's "Emperor" concerto immediately after, another favourite of mine.

My two favorite Beethoven pieces are the 7th Symphony and the 5th piano concerto, which made this movie even more perfect in my mind!

I fell in love with Colin Firth years ago as Mr. Darcy and went on and on about him when my friends were still infatuated with Brad Pitt and Leo (not that they aren't good looking, but nothing beats Colin Firth's stare when Lizzie is playing the piano in P&P).

This movie was fabulous. I absolutely loved it and laughed hysterically at some parts. Colin better win every award for this.

vCash
    this may be unrelated - but I wonder if they will even bother with a feature film on Wallis Simpson given the success of this film.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    The movie "The Fall" (starring Pushing Daisies' Lee Pace, it's gorgeous yet practically unknown) used Beethoven's 7th extensively: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0LYcCoeJY
    I absolutely love The Fall. In my intro to film class for film majors, I showed it thinking they would like it. About two of them liked it and the other 20 didn't like it at all.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    I haven't seen this one yet, but my DD tell me they liked it slightly more than the Black Swan, which I really thought was good

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    this may be unrelated - but I wonder if they will even bother with a feature film on Wallis Simpson given the success of this film.
    Oh, I bet they will. I don't think studios will care that she's portrayed harshly here. They'll only care that she's a character in a film that's doing very well, and I'm guessing they'll want to milk that.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I absolutely love The Fall. In my intro to film class for film majors, I showed it thinking they would like it. About two of them liked it and the other 20 didn't like it at all.
    I liked The Fall, didn't love it. Visually it was simply stunning. The plot fell in the "interesting but you have to be in the right mood for it" category. Where it was weakest was in the acting IMO. Especially Lee Pace -- who I really liked in Pushing Daisies, but haven't been impressed by in anything I've seen him in since.

But definitely great use of Beethoven's 7th!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Well there was that mini-series in the 70s called Edward and Mrs Simpson. I was pretty young when it aired -- on Masterpiece Theatre IIRC -- but I'm pretty sure it showed both in a much more positive light. No doubt taking some artistic licence (I think they might have omitted their pro-Nazi sympathies, for one), but at the same time all the other films that have depicted them as one-dimensional have been biased in the other direction ...

I can't imagine The King's Speech having any impact on future films about Mrs Simpson either way, though. Is there one in the works?

vCash

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    The page for W.E. over at imdb

For those of us like me who were fans of The Tudors, that cast list has two very familiar names. Both Natalie Dormer (Anne Boleyn) and Annabelle Wallis (Season Three Jane Seymour) have roles in this. In fact, Natalie plays the Queen Mum in it, but I don't know what Annabelle's role is.

Just thought I'd mention that, as it gave me a bit of a chuckle when I saw it over there.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post

I love Immortal Beloved....and its use of the Emperor Concerto just gives me goosebumps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid View Post
    I haven't seen this one yet, but my DD tell me they liked it slightly more than the Black Swan, which I really thought was good
    I've seen both and think both films are good, but they are very different films. The King's Speech is a pretty straightforward bio-pic IMO, well done, good acting, but IMO nothing particularly special. Black Swan is very over-the-top and operatic so I think it's a more love-it-or-hate-it film than The King's Speech, but IMO it's a much more exciting experience.

vCash
    I too saw this movie and liked it better than the Black swan, which was good in itself. I can't pick between this and the Social network. However, they (all 3) are very different types of movies so it's unfair to compare them.

Firth-Rush-Carter really took this movie to a great height with their subperb acting. The screenplay was fabulous. As a Toastmaster and someone who overcame stage fright (not stuttering or stammering, but just nervousness) in public speaking, I was really curious about his speech issue. I can't really compare his experience with Toastmasters but one thing that I did find in common was that both emphasized building self confidence and progressing from wherever that person/speaker is, without focusing on what one should not do, and without demanding perfection. The King obviously made big strides from where he was before. I liked the fact that in that last speech they did not show him as 'perfect'. He still had a few minor issues, but he got the message across so powerfully.

I am going to see this movie again. I loved it.

vCash
    Saw this film yesterday, and was surprised how many people were in the theater given the time of day and what type of film it was. Good cinema is not dead yet!

Anyway, I really liked it...all the actors were just superb in their roles, and the film was directed beautifully. I hope it gets lots of Oscar noms, because it deserves it.

The R rating was quite hmm. I understand why it was there, because of the cuss words. I hate cursing, but the way it was done in the movie was probably in the least offensive way possible because it was just words. I'd take that over one or two cuss words used as insults any day.

But really, without the two instances of cursing, this film really would have been a G or PG; it's that "tame". It's really quite good.

vCash
    Who cares about the swearing. It was in context and if was portrayed in the film as one of the methods used to help him learn to overcome his stammer entirely appropriate to have that in a movie. I cannot believe they would give a film in the US an R rating over that when there was absolutely nothing else offensive in it. Stupidity at the fore.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Just saw the movie, and it was fantastic! Colin Firth is generally great in almost every film he's in, but he really kicked it up further for this one! Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter as well. It was nice to see Helena in a non-Tim Burton film. The bonus of Jennifer Ehle was nice-- love her, wish she was in more.

Such a great film! I hope Colin takes the Oscar this year!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast