Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    I want to see it but I think I'll have a very hard time getting my husband to see it with me. So I guess I'll have to see it on my own.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    Is this okay for young teens? From what I can tell, the only reason it was rated R is because of the F word. Swearing isn't an an issue for me as long as every other word isn't F'ing this and F'ing that.
    I think it would depend entirely on the teens in question. Aside from the swearing there's no objectionable content ... but I can't imagine that most young teens would be remotely intereseted in this movie. Particularly American teens. But if you know the kids and their interests, and think they'd be into it, and don't mind the occasional swearing, go for it!

BTW, I was lucky enough to see this at a preview and as I posted a couple of weeks ago, I loved it. For the reasons others have stated -- as well as the beautiful relationships depicted. Best movie I've seen this year.

vCash
    Saw this yesterday. Fantastic acting from all sides. Just shows that you do not need action/violence/sex, for a movie to be entertaining. The swearing scenes were hilarious and I didn't find them at all offensive. It was a fascinating look into the royal family at a different time when they were difinitely set futher apart from the real world...and it was very interesting to see the scenes with Wallis simpson and how that abdication changed everything. Excellent.

Thought where Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth were introduced to be very funny, not only for the scene, but for the fact that they were Elizabeth and Darcy in the wonderful Price and Prejudice mini series that pretty much made Colin famous. It was also interesting to note that the annoying male cousin from that mini series was the actor who played the guy who rejected Logue when he was on stage trying for a part.

vCash
    In Australia this movie is rated M. I cannot believe that it is rated R (is it in the US?). R for Ridiculous. So a whole group of people can miss out on this movie about a very important part of history which they might learn something from just because of one word!!!!
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    Thought where Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth were introduced to be very funny, not only for the scene, but for the fact that they were Elizabeth and Darcy in the wonderful Price and Prejudice mini series that pretty much made Colin famous. It was also interesting to note that the annoying male cousin from that mini series was the actor who played the guy who rejected Logue when he was on stage trying for a part.
    And that never even crossed my mind. I loved P&P.

If you want to see Firth in one of his early movies check out Apartment Zero. Very different flavour of movie.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    Thought where Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth were introduced to be very funny, not only for the scene, but for the fact that they were Elizabeth and Darcy in the wonderful Price and Prejudice mini series that pretty much made Colin famous.
    Oh, they get introduced? Cool! I was wondering if they had any scenes together.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I saw the movie and enjoyed it. I don't think it deserves Best Picture, but it had great performances by everyone around. Love Colin Firth and found Helena Bonham Carter wonderfully warm.

vCash
    Loved it. A gentle but very engrossing story.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    And that never even crossed my mind. I loved P&P.

If you want to see Firth in one of his early movies check out Apartment Zero. Very different flavour of movie.
    Oh my...Colin is THE Darcy. I even liked David Rinthoul in an earlier BBC P&P very much. But yes....Colin is THE quintessential Darcy-to me anyway. And again in Bridget Jones movies, figuratively speaking.

However, he is also quite the VALMONT! There are two versions of Dangerous Liasons. Colin was Valmont, with Annette Benning. My goodness, he is gorgeous!

http://the-clever-pup.blogspot.com/2...-liaisons.html

Sigh! Just give him the damned Oscar for lighting up my fantasies and be done with it.

vCash
    I loved that movie so much! I recommend it to everybody I can.
    I would not hesitate to take teenagers. Yes, there is a lot of swearing, but it's an emotional release, not "evil intent" swearing.
    Of course I googled Logue afterwards and was happy to see they got the facts straight.
    The techniques he uses have a lot in common with singers' and actors' preparation, and the ever- faithful google told me he graduated from Music Conservatory in Australia and then acted. The movie got it right. It is nice to read that real speech therapists, and people who know about the stuttering, have no objection to the movie- it's an important test of how real it is.
    The movie is sooooo touching, and inspiring ( and yet not tear- jerker schmalzy, but quite real), and the acting is so good! I might see it for the second time.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I loved this movie. Colin Firth was so amazing. The acting was superb all around. And the story was very moving.

I certainly hope that they give Firth the Oscar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Or Another Country - the first movie I saw Colin Firth in with a young Rupert Everett and Cary Elwes.

I can't wait to see this -but it isn't playing here so I may have to wait for DVD

vCash
    Saw it tonight and totally enjoyed it. Interesting that it was sold out both last night and tonight, a week after it opened. Thankfully a friend got there early and bought my ticket! I did try to ignore the feeling of seeing Dumbledore again when watching George V. I do like Colin Firth.

vCash
    Really?? I'm glad you mentioned that. I'd better try to get there early on Saturday.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    This sounds like the next movie we must see!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I so very much want to see this thing. As many here know, I'm into the Royals and Royal History, and admire George VI so very much for all he had to deal w/. The stutter and his other health issues, the Abdication crisis and then World War II. His marriage to the Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon truly was the making of him and she also gave him something he hadn't had before; a loving home and relationship.

I have the greatest of admiration for him and I'm so happy this movie is bringing his, as well as Lionel Logue's, story to light.

The reviews I've been waiting to hear though are in this thread and it's from those who do suffer w/stutters. Thanks to you all and for all of you to be happy w/the movie and how they portrayed the therapy given, that's more important to me than any of these high brow Film Critics.

I *really* want to see this thing, but due to location, it's not looking good. There was an excellent article written by the man who wrote the screenplay that I read through the Royalty MB I belong to. He also stutters, so that's a good reason why so much of it was dead on, but there's also other things he touches on. TKS went through a very long journey from intention to the screen.

I'll see if I can find it over there and share it here.

edited to add...Found it!!

The Mail Online ~ How the 'naughty word' cured the King's stutter (and mine)
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 12-30-2010 at 10:37 PM.

attending the Mad Hatter's Tea Party at ISU Headquarters!
    vCash
    I went to see this fabulous movie tonight! I knew it was playing in the Portland area already and planned on going wherever I needed to go (be it downtown or wherever) but was pleasantly surprised to discover earlier today that it was now showing very close to my home, so I decided to treat myself out tonight. Just loved it. Such a unique perspective on the era and a really fascinating story. I loved the three leads - just superb!

And yes, yes, to the comment about Guy Pearce playing such a delightfully despicable David. One of my favorite actors, quite underrated but he gets some great little roles.

I loved the set decoration and costuming. And Westminster Abbey was... Wow. I just loved the whole movie. I have no idea what sort of a chance it holds in the Best Picture race but it truly is a film that brings something fresh and different to the table. Not an epic drama the way Braveheart or Titanic or The Lord of the Rings trilogy but still a movie with so much heart and passion. Firth, Rush and Bonham Carter better get some acting awards though. Just first rate acting all around.
    Future FSUer to me before Gedevanishvili's SA 2010 SP - "Aunt Karen, what is she wearing?"

vCash
    Loved loved loved it....go see this movie!

vCash
    I saw it and loved it! A great story, one 'we know' but from a different angle. Also the privileged person that really did not have everything, family dynamics. Love when a movie portrays true friendship and a real and happy marriage. Great acting. Firth for the Oscar!
    Swearing - yes there is some, but it is really amusing.
    My on distraction - Logue's office - is run down. But I just love the muted old painted walls. Very cool!

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Saw it today. Great movie. Everyone go and see it.

Great cast, great acting, great script, great story, great music. It deserves every Oscar it probably won't win.

It was also largely historically accurate (for the bits we actually know about at least), proving you don't need to use dramatic licence to have good, entertaining story. And thank goodness to finally see a historical drama that kept the social conventions of the time, rather than trying to modernise things on the assumption the modern audience wouldn't understand.

My husband said it was the best movie he'd seen all year - ha ha, as it's New Year's Day - but I'm prepared to go out on a limb and say it's likely to be the best movie I see this year.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast