Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

The King's Speech

Just home from the movie - absolutely fabulous!! Colin Firth is wonderful. Loved it for so many reasons. If you are looking for a good movie to see this holiday season - I highly recommend the King's Speech. Wonderful movie!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
    Just home from the movie - absolutely fabulous!! Colin Firth is wonderful. Loved it for so many reasons. If you are looking for a good movie to see this holiday season - I highly recommend the King's Speech. Wonderful movie!!
    I can't wait. Now if only the snow would melt at my parents' so I could get home and actually go see the movie
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Going to try to see it Friday. I can't wait!!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Eh?
    vCash
    Fantastic movie. Firth and Rush are PHENOMENAL.

vCash
    I really want to see it!

vCash
    Good movie! Tremendous acting.

vCash
    I saw it yesterday. Definately worth seeing. Really enjoyed both Firth and Rush but also liked Bonham-Carter as Queen Elizabeth. Strange to watch someone from recent history being portrayed as the younger version of what we know.

The character I loved was Jennifer Ehle as Myrtle Logue. She was lovely and did a great Aussie accent. I didn't even realise it was her.

What I also love about these types of movies is it makes you get on the internet and learn about the people that are being portrayed. Gets you brushing up on history.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    I can't wait to see this. Firth was so tremendous in last year's A Single Man.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Is this okay for young teens? From what I can tell, the only reason it was rated R is because of the F word. Swearing isn't an an issue for me as long as every other word isn't F'ing this and F'ing that.

The other problem will be finding a theater. I don't think there will be a lot of demand to for this movie in South Georgia. I will probably have to hitch up the wagon and head into the big city.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    I can't wait to see this. Firth was so tremendous in last year's A Single Man.
    I love that movie. I think I love it even more because Tom Ford directed it.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Is this okay for young teens? From what I can tell, the only reason it was rated R is because of the F word. Swearing isn't an an issue for me as long as every other word isn't F'ing this and F'ing that
    There are only a couple sections of swearing. In fact, those scenes were quite humorous in my opinion. That is the only possible reason this got an "R" rating. There is no violence or sex. It is a fantastic movie and yes, I would take young teens.
    I suddenly find myself older than I ever intended to be--Roxy Hart in "Chicago"

vCash
    I really hope it will be showing here by the weekend.

vCash
    Was supposed to go last Wednesday, but the outing got called off. So now I'm supposed to see The King's Speech tomorrow. Really looking forward to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutzcy View Post
    There are only a couple sections of swearing. In fact, those scenes were quite humorous in my opinion. That is the only possible reason this got an "R" rating. There is no violence or sex. It is a fantastic movie and yes, I would take young teens.
    I am a Speech Pathologist and a great fan of The Kings Speech. The fact that this movie got an R rating is fairly controversial. The production company appealed the R rating fearing that teens that are being bullied by their speech would be denied the opportunity to see this very inspirational film. Sadly the appeal was denied.

vCash
    Absolutely LOVED this movie. Firth is beyond amazing but everybody is good in this. Guy Pearce, for instance, makes a wonderful despicable Edward. I'm sorry to hear about the R rating just because of the "therapeutic" swearing. I'm pretty sure that if the King had been shot in the head instead, it would only rate a PG-13 so it's quite hypocritical.

vCash
    I went to this movie thinking that I would hate it since I stutter and usually hate the "look at x overcome his disability crap" but my love for politics made me want to see it. I do have to say they did a very commendable job. I liked it a lot and have been recommending it to people. Not overly schmaltzy and certainly realistic. Firth's stutter was actually quite good. I usually HATE when people try to attempt it because it is rarely done in a realistic way.

Certainly the King's stutter was far more mild than my own, but I thought the subject matter was handled very well. Speech therapy was not presented as a cure-all and for that I was very, very grateful.

vCash
    I too loved seeing Bonham-Carter portray a young Queen Elizabeth. I have only ever known her as "the Queen Mum" and it was fascinating to see that she had such a love for her husband - she supported him with a strength that I found very intriguing. Fascinating to see the Monarchy portrayed too - the distance from the commoners and the role of the children in the family and the fact that unlike Berthie's parents, they seemed to show more affection for the children than previous generations. Interesting to put it against the backdrop of William's upbringing with Diana and the impending nuptuals (I found Westminster Abbey is imposing to say the least). Also loved the time period - there is a scene where the King walks freely in public and nobody notices him at all. It was fascinating to realize that with no television and likely the only images known to the public printed in the newspaper, the average person may not even have known what the King looked like. Such a different time - made me see so clearly the changes that have occurred and why the monarchy has struggled to adapt.

I too went with Speech and Language Pathologists who raved about the movie. The acting was superb! They thought it was a very real portrayal and very accurate in the techniques that continue to be used today.

And, the swearing should not keep anyone from watching the movie. It is quite humorous actually, and I would definitely recommend this movie for teens.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toepick View Post
    I went to this movie thinking that I would hate it since I stutter and usually hate the "look at x overcome his disability crap" but my love for politics made me want to see it. I do have to say they did a very commendable job. I liked it a lot and have been recommending it to people. Not overly schmaltzy and certainly realistic. Firth's stutter was actually quite good. I usually HATE when people try to attempt it because it is rarely done in a realistic way.

Certainly the King's stutter was far more mild than my own, but I thought the subject matter was handled very well. Speech therapy was not presented as a cure-all and for that I was very, very grateful.
    I stutter too and I'm looking forward to this movie. I recognized some of the exercises they did, although there was no swearing on my part.

If you listen to the famous speech IRL, it's clear George was not cured of his stutter, but it had become more manageable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
    I too loved seeing Bonham-Carter portray a young Queen Elizabeth. I have only ever known her as "the Queen Mum" and it was fascinating to see that she had such a love for her husband - she supported him with a strength that I found very intriguing. Fascinating to see the Monarchy portrayed too - the distance from the commoners and the role of the children in the family and the fact that unlike Berthie's parents, they seemed to show more affection for the children than previous generations. Interesting to put it against the backdrop of William's upbringing with Diana and the impending nuptuals (I found Westminster Abbey is imposing to say the least). Also loved the time period - there is a scene where the King walks freely in public and nobody notices him at all. It was fascinating to realize that with no television and likely the only images known to the public printed in the newspaper, the average person may not even have known what the King looked like. Such a different time - made me see so clearly the changes that have occurred and why the monarchy has struggled to adapt.

I too went with Speech and Language Pathologists who raved about the movie. The acting was superb! They thought it was a very real portrayal and very accurate in the techniques that continue to be used today.

And, the swearing should not keep anyone from watching the movie. It is quite humorous actually, and I would definitely recommend this movie for teens.
    And your post sent me off to google who was the Queen Mum. Little did I know that she also was named Elizabeth. Sheesh, do I ever feel stupid cause I couldn't reconcile your first sentence in my brain thinking that you were mixing the current queen with her mum. Yeah, I be brain dead.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I stutter too and I'm looking forward to this movie. I recognized some of the exercises they did, although there was no swearing on my part.

If you listen to the famous speech IRL, it's clear George was not cured of his stutter, but it had become more manageable.
    Right; I appreciated the fact that they did not depict him as being "cured" at the end given his real life experience.

There was no swearing for me in my years of speech therapy, but I am one of the many who don't stutter when I am screaming obscenities (or singing).

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast