Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8pics View Post
    We get a "bonus," in February, and it is actually referred to as variable compensation. So, it's part of our salary but the amount varies each year according to your performance, your business unit's performance, and overall company performance, and also your pay level.
    Our cash bonus is like this -- incentive compensation. It is based a percentage of annual base pay multiplied by individual, business unit, and overall corporate performance factors. Then we are eligible for restricted stock units or stock options depending on individual and company performance.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Nothing (again) this year. I wonder if anyone else at work in my position got one? Do companies do that? Give some workers a bonus and not others? Is it okay to ask?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    some companies do that, but I imagine they wouldn't tell you if they did
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    It used to be in my company that you had to be at a certain level in order to be eligible for VC. A few years ago, though, they expanded it to everyone. Of course, the pool of money for the lowest level employees is small and so the awards are small. I don't think it's possible for someone to get no VC as long as it's being given out at all, since even if your individual performance factor were small there's still factors based on business performance.

Also, to add to what Louis said earlier, technically this is VC but we all think of it as a bonus. Years ago they tried a real VC approach in some business units and there was something like a 20 or 25% range in which your salary could end up for the year, and it didn't work out too well so they stopped that. Now you have your annual salary and that is separate from the VC system, and the ratings are actually done separately for the two.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    One of my three jobs gives a bonus; $25 to everyone, regardless of how long you have worked there (they used to go up by $25 a year of employment to everybody, but the economy kicked in)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8pics View Post
    It used to be in my company that you had to be at a certain level in order to be eligible for VC. A few years ago, though, they expanded it to everyone. Of course, the pool of money for the lowest level employees is small and so the awards are small.
    Below a certain level, our VC is automatic based on a performance rating. But these are smaller (< 10%) awards, even for those rated the maximum.

I don't think it's possible for someone to get no VC as long as it's being given out at all, since even if your individual performance factor were small there's still factors based on business performance.
    Probably possible in theory but not in reality. I can't imagine having a person who would get $0 VC and continue to be employed. I suspect the person would be fired right before VC time, as the performance review on which the $0 VC recommendation would be based would have to be extremely negative.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Probably possible in theory but not in reality. I can't imagine having a person who would get $0 VC and continue to be employed. I suspect the person would be fired right before VC time, as the performance review on which the $0 VC recommendation would be based would have to be extremely negative.
    There have been cases I know of where an employee moved from one region to another, and there was an adjustment in salary to account for cost of living decreases, and then that adjustment was gradually removed. So the person at one point ends up with no raise because of that, but they are still performing at an acceptable level. You may be right about someone who'd get $0 VC being fired before that would happen. Managers are supposed to work with someone who's slipping before it gets to that point. But I know when we went through a round of layoffs in early 2009 they took that opportunity to lay off some people who were not performing as well as expected, and I think the person I'm thinking of had been getting very little VC, if any.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Enron required their ees to keep the stock. The SEC got involved and now there are rules to prevent companies from forcing ees to keep all of it. I think there's a maximum exposure rule, now.
    Our company stock is kept until you leave/retire/get fired/hit by a snowplow in the parking lot... Okay with me though, I didn't pay anything for it, so it'll just be found money...

My reinsurance job had a stock plan that we could pay into. When I resigned, I asked to cash it in. CFO talked to me about the tax break associated with keeping it. I held my ground, I needed the $ to pay property taxes. Within 6 months, the stock plummeted and I wound up making $, despite the tax bill on the windfall. People who stayed lost almost everything they'd invested.

vCash
    I never worked for an employer that gave bonuses. Mainly for a university, where we did get a week's holiday with pay over the Christmas-NY break. That was worth $$ since I didn't have to hire a babysitter for the week.

My last job was for a dentist. His wife was a cheapskate, and she was in charge of the Christmas gifts. One year it was a box of cranberry products....dried, canned, etc. After that it was just a group restaurant meal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    There are a variety of jobs, Wall Street and otherwise, where a large "bonus" is expected just to get the person to the correct total compensation level. The trend is to shift more and more compensation from base to variable, but failure to deliver on this variable comp can decimate the ranks.
    The trend on Wall Street/banking is to increase base pay and decrease discretionary bonuses.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/so-ma...231-19bx2.html

This is the banking world's response to Obama et al's cries re: Wall Street bonuses.

My hubby's bonus was down this year but his base pay went up by a huge amount. His total comp was higher this year than in 2009 even though his bonus was lower.

vCash
    I have worked in medical communications agencies that gave bonuses based on the profit the company made; however, you never saw them at holiday time, they were calculated and awarded in the first quarter. If the profit percentage didn't meet parent company expectations, despite how high the profits were, there were no bonuses.

At one previous company, bonuses were only supposed to be awarded after 6months with the company; however, they "sweetened" my offer by stating I'd be eligible from the start. I was just under 6 months at the end of the year; when bonus time came, the financial officer of the parent company flatly refused to give me my bonus, claiming "it's in the handbook," citing the 6month rule. My supervisor had to get a copy of my signed offer letter; even then, the CFO refused. The boss had to finally take the CFO to HR and the HR Director ordered the CFO to give me the bonus and said CFO STILL tried to fight it (and it was less than promised). The "holiday party" was held in January, we were just all too doggone "busy" to have one in December (before full profits were calculated out). You can put this among the reasons why I'm no longer with this company...

I currently work for a small, privately owned med ed company. We had a terrific holiday dinner party for both employees and spouses/partners and a wonderfully silly holiday lunch white elephant gift exchange. I got a lovely gift from my supervisor, and the company head gave me a very nice department store gift certificate. Plus there were kitchen goodies throughout the season (the diet starts on Monday!!!). I'll take this any day over a "bonus" system where the bonus is hung over your head like the bloody sword of Damocles, and where the rug can get pulled out from under you for any (or no) reason, thank you.
    Last edited by Yazmeen; 01-01-2011 at 12:10 AM.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    For most of my adult working life I got a week's pay for Christmas bonus. Now at my less stressful PT but still gov't job I get 50 bucks, but yeah, there's never been a working year that I didn't receive some sort of bonus specifically designated as "Christmas".

vCash
    Employees at Google all got a 10% bonus this year, and considering how high their base salaries are (even for out-of-college engineers), that's a lot of money.

My ex-roommate got a whopping $90,000 year-end bonus once (he worked in banking). He bought a brand new car with cash and garaged it in Manhattan (which cost about $700/month).

I get an annual bonuses tied around my personal review, and it can be quite a high percentage (near Google's). Once in awhile I get a discretionary cash bonus worth maybe a few grand.

I would take salary over a bonus hands-down, as bonuses aren't guaranteed year over year.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Considering that bonuses are taxable, and a one time huge payment can really throw off your tax withholding, working somewhere with a standard (but not guaranteed) gigantic bonus would drive me nuts. I agree - would way prefer a larger base salary.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    I work for a non-profit. We get an umbrella...if we donate at least $52.00 to the agency. No bonuses in social work
    Yeah, such generosity and organizational self-care we have in social work. I haven't had a bonus in two years. No raise in three years.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie Bear View Post
    Yeah, such generosity and organizational self-care we have in social work. I haven't had a bonus in two years. No raise in three years.
    I hope for a raise this year. We did not get one last year. Never a bonus. As a clinician with graduate degree and 30 + years of experience, I make a salary that is $10,000 less than the salary that a friend who is a new teacher is making. I work in a basement with one toilet for all of the employees, no air circulation, and pay for most program supplies from my own pocket. Despite quadrupling the number of participants in the program and demonstrating incredible client outcomes, there is no thought of bonus. That would be a joke. I am in the profession because I love the work and because I am very good at what I do. And hey, the working conditions are better than they are working as an adjunct professor. I've been doing that since 1999. Low pay, no bonus. Bonus? Pay has not gone up a nickel since I started in 1999.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    My current job is at a newspaper. I am lucky to still have a job.
    Which is why this journalism grad avoided newspaper jobs like the plague! I loved writing/editing for my college paper, but the lack of good benefits/decent pay for the newspaper jobs I was coming across was eye-opening.

My company gives quarterly 5% bonuses based on your salary.

vCash
    At this non-profit, I got a mini shopping bag with a can of coke and candies inside. Last year, I think it was a label for a suitcase. I had to ask someone cause I didn't know what the heck it was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    I hope for a raise this year. We did not get one last year. Never a bonus. As a clinician with graduate degree and 30 + years of experience, I make a salary that is $10,000 less than the salary that a friend who is a new teacher is making. I work in a basement with one toilet for all of the employees, no air circulation, and pay for most program supplies from my own pocket. Despite quadrupling the number of participants in the program and demonstrating incredible client outcomes, there is no thought of bonus. That would be a joke. I am in the profession because I love the work and because I am very good at what I do. And hey, the working conditions are better than they are working as an adjunct professor. I've been doing that since 1999. Low pay, no bonus. Bonus? Pay has not gone up a nickel since I started in 1999.
    It's the age-old social work conundrum: We advocate so well for our clients, but we're too swamped to advocate for ourselves. I hear ya. I have friends with BS and AA degrees who make more than I do with a MSW. It's particularly painful with my agency. Many of my MSW classmates make $10,000 more and have more paid vacation time at other companies.

Of course there are internal rewards: I love making a difference in my clients' lives and the people I work with are dedicated and caring. But the economic disparities are getting harder and harder to take. (Especially since my rent was just raised. )

vCash
    I am still shocked that companies can afford to pay bonuses - except of the holiday gifting of a gift card or a grocery store voucher. But then I never worked at a non-healthcare related job. And certainly not a wall street job where thousands seem to be the norm.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast