View Poll Results: If Volosozhar & Trankov compete at Worlds

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gold

    23 14.47%
  • Silver

    65 40.88%
  • Bronze

    47 29.56%
  • 4th or 5th

    13 8.18%
  • out of top 5

    5 3.14%
  • they wont compete at Worlds since they wont be able to compete at the ISU events in time

    6 3.77%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 87
  1. #61
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,780
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9960
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I can't for the life of me remember who Tatiana skated with last year. For some reason I thought it was for a different country but it couldn't be if they are going to Worlds. But apparently her split with her partner was not all this drama like Max's & Maria's. And that's the way it should be.
    She skated with her husband, Stanislav Morozov, for about 5 years. They went to the Olympics in 2006 and 2010 for Ukraine. Do you not remember the blue condom costumes and moaning from their SP last season?

    They didn't really split. Stas offered to step aside so she could find a better partner. He continues on as her coach.

    Their last competition for Ukraine was Feb 15, 2011, and she has to sit out for a year. That's why V&T can't go to Euros this year, but can go to Worlds, assuming they meet the ISU minimum score at an international that takes place after Feb 15 (they plan to attend two such events).

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    16,561
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Their last competition for Ukraine was Feb 15, 2011, and she has to sit out for a year. That's why V&T can't go to Euros this year, but can go to Worlds, assuming they meet the ISU minimum score at an international that takes place after Feb 15 (they plan to attend two such events).
    You mean their last competition was Feb 15th 2010 or will be Feb 15th 2011?

  3. #63
    The wiener takes it all
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Minor Planet Johnnyweir 12413
    Posts
    11,589
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1541
    Their last competition for Ukraine was Feb 15 2010, so Tatiana is free to represent Russia internationally from Feb 15, 2011 onwards.

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,264
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721
    They didn't really split. Stas offered to step aside so she could find a better partner. He continues on as her coach.
    Now that's love.

  5. #65
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,780
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9960
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    You mean their last competition was Feb 15th 2010 or will be Feb 15th 2011?
    Yes, it was 2010, sorry.

  6. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    758
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Well, I said silver, but it's very hard to predict. Honestly, I think if they continue to be in this form or better for the rest of the year, they could take gold.

    S/S have been pretty mistake prone ( for them ) the last year or two , and though I don't think V/T's programs, or costumes are a real standout , there's nothing wrong with them and S/S's Pink Panther ( including costumes ) looks a bit silly by comparison. P/T's programs are pretty forgettable and they have not looked sharp either.

    After CoR , I thought this could well be K/S's year , I like the contrast between their programs - one powerful, one soft and romantic and particularly the costumes for the FP were perfect. I think these are the best programs they've ever had. But if they should make mistakes...

    So that's the thing ..if the current top couples all skate well, I imagine there could be a slight "champion's bonus" from the judges..but when was the last time we saw all three skate really well ?

    I definitely feel V/T are podium bound ( stay healthy , don't get nervous)..and if they are this good this soon, we could be looking at a pair who will be among the greats.

  7. #67
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Posts
    20,433
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    Well Ziggy, obviously watching performances on youtube ISN'T the way to go. I missed all the drama because the youtube videos cut off before the KnC!
    tvteka.tv

    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I don't know I'm going to defend Oleg a bit and say that sometimes tough love from a coach IS necessary. This is high level sports and a coach will get ticked off.
    In the K&C? How is it going to help?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    S/S have been pretty mistake prone ( for them ) the last year or two , and though I don't think V/T's programs, or costumes are a real standout , there's nothing wrong with them
    Uhhmmm there's plenty that's wrong. As far as FS is concerned, choreography is as generic as it could be. There is absolutely no style. They are just skating through the music and their movements do not reflect it whatsoever.

    In the SP, some detail has been added now and it now looks like an actual program. As in, their movements actually reflect the music somewhat and they match some accents at least.

    Hopefully FS will develop this way by Worlds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    and S/S's Pink Panther ( including costumes ) looks a bit silly by comparison.
    It might look silly to you but it's way better choreographed than anything else on offer this season. And it's being skated in character too.

    I'd say Ilushechkina/Maisuradze come close perhaps, but it's a moot point because she didn't make the team (and the judges haven't been generous to them on the PCS anyway).

    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    P/T's programs are pretty forgettable and they have not looked sharp either.
    Their FS is the most complex they've ever had. Movement in character of the music, a fair amount of transitions. But if they're going to screw up most of the elements as they've been doing so far, they won't be a factor, yeah.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pratfall View Post
    After CoR , I thought this could well be K/S's year , I like the contrast between their programs - one powerful, one soft and romantic and particularly the costumes for the FP were perfect. I think these are the best programs they've ever had. But if they should make mistakes...
    ???

    Both programs are totally empty. They have always had complex choreography and plenty of transitions but this season both of their programs totally fail on both of these fronts.

    They are clearly the most generic programs they've ever had.

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,137
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I strongly disagree. Claire de Lune is definitely one of their strongest pieces ever.

  9. #69
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    531
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzie Bear View Post
    Now that's love.
    I'm always wondering why Morosov's quitting and "allowing" Tatjana to skate with another partner is seen as an almost heroic proof of love by many. He probably is a great guy, but to me this is a pretty rational decision. I thought it was obvious he has only been skating for the last couple of years to keep her on the radar for a post Olympic partner swap -which luckily did pay out in the end: they're now pretty well provided for and Morosov got a nice coaching job thanks to Tatjana.

  10. #70
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,780
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9960
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
    I thought it was obvious he has only been skating for the last couple of years to keep her on the radar for a post Olympic partner swap -which luckily did pay out in the end: they're now pretty well provided for and Morosov got a nice coaching job thanks to Tatjana.
    He didn't really need to do that for so many years. She had an offer to skate with Trankov back in 2006 also. I think she genuinely enjoyed skating with Morozov. In some of the interviews, she said that she initially didn't want to split up after Vancouver either, and Morozov had to convince her.

  11. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    wherever they cheer for Davis/White
    Posts
    1,123
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Right, and despite all, the guy must have enjoyed skating, so admitting your partner and wife is that much better than you, that you actually have been what has kept her away from podiums and glory, must have been hard. But he did it all without a blink. I don't know if it's a proof of love, but it surely is a proof that Morozov is more than a decent man, who wants to see his girl happy strongly enough to squeeze his own jealousy. He didn't have to encourage her to do it, they could have retired together and it could've been all of Tatiana we would have got to see. Ever.

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Posts
    20,433
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I strongly disagree. Claire de Lune is definitely one of their strongest pieces ever.
    What is so good about it?

  13. #73
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    Posts
    6,658
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    What is so good about it?
    I think it flows beautifully and has good phrasing, I actually feel something emotionally as it grows. I'm sure I'm the only one, but I do...don't know why. I gave up on wanting to be "moved" by skating 3 years ago

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hanging around the Ottawa area
    Posts
    71
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I voted bronze. I think S&S will come through this year again for the win and that either K&S or P&T will skate well enough for the silver. I also think one team will probably mess upl and give V&T the bronze. But I could be wrong. I do think they will be top 5 though. There just is'nt enough other competition to touch them. D&D are out, I think the Zhangs are too, D&B have not being improving at all. The GP this season was a snoozefest.
    Even though I don't feel that V&T's FS is really not a 'program' IMO I think their technical skills are fantastic. Tatiana has always had beautiful lift positions and their split triple twist is excellent- I think she is the only lady that does a full split. I also think Maxim is a really good partner. He almost always hits the jumps and his spins and lifting is good. I worry more about with him having some fluke sickness thing than missing jumps. I seem to remember him being sick at the GPF one year and having to cut his costume open another because he had circulation problems? Though those hideous LP costumes could use some destroying.

    That being said I am really excited about them for the future- I could'nt believe how good they looked together and how comfortable they seemed. I hope they eventually get some programs worthy of their talents.

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,115
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    My impression is the Russian federation already considers Volosozhar & Trankov their #1 team. If that is the case I dont see Kavaguti & Smirnov beating them if both go clean, irregardless of varying opinions of programs or which team is better. Of course people are free to disagree with me on the Russian #1 thing but keep in mind Russian Nationals is probably the most political in the Worlds. While it is easy to see V&T were letter perfect there and K&S made mistakes, if K&S were still the Russian #1 they would be given the higher PCS anyway or atleast equal, and their LP they skated well enough they would have been atleast alot closer if they were still the Russian #1 team.

    Not to mention the odds of K&S doing a clean competition seem about zero. Of course there is no gaurantee how V&T will skate at Worlds either.

  16. #76
    Crazy Stalker Lady
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Busy stalking the world.
    Posts
    3,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    37616
    Quote Originally Posted by Taso View Post
    I think it flows beautifully and has good phrasing, I actually feel something emotionally as it grows. I'm sure I'm the only one, but I do...don't know why. I gave up on wanting to be "moved" by skating 3 years ago
    You're not the only one. I love their Claire de Lune. It's the only program they've done that I love (along with the first version of The Swan).

    As for being moved emotionally by skating - I am. Often. There's lots of programs that move me. They must be skated reasonably well of course. Just off the top of my head - Chan's POTO, Shibs SD and FD, C&P's FD, W&P's SD, anything by Czisny when she doesn't fall down, anything by Abbott when he doesn't fall down, V&M, P&T's Oly LP, etc etc. Maybe I'm just an emotional mess and can't tell good from bad and anything by Lubov and Nodari even if they make mistakes. Oh and V&T are pretty good too

  17. #77
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    55
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Taso View Post
    I think it flows beautifully and has good phrasing, I actually feel something emotionally as it grows. I'm sure I'm the only one, but I do...don't know why. I gave up on wanting to be "moved" by skating 3 years ago
    No, there have been positive reactions from people who generally dislike them (though obviously not all). The movement matches the music so carefully and beautifully (or it did in their Cup of Russia skate). They picked a very spare orchestration of Claire de Lune which creates a mood of quiet gravity that suits them, certainly more than last season's Waltz which required them to be perky. I also think they've matured; this is their first attempt at expressing a romantic tone that did not seem awkward to me.

    I admit that I'm disappointed with the changes they've made since CoR. Moving the first lift to the end so that all three lifts are successive messes up the timing in some parts of the last half, and for me it hurts the program's flow and growth.

  18. #78
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,316
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    My impression is the Russian federation already considers Volosozhar & Trankov their #1 team. If that is the case I dont see Kavaguti & Smirnov beating them if both go clean, irregardless of varying opinions of programs or which team is better. Of course people are free to disagree with me on the Russian #1 thing but keep in mind Russian Nationals is probably the most political in the Worlds. While it is easy to see V&T were letter perfect there and K&S made mistakes, if K&S were still the Russian #1 they would be given the higher PCS anyway or atleast equal, and their LP they skated well enough they would have been atleast alot closer if they were still the Russian #1 team.

    Not to mention the odds of K&S doing a clean competition seem about zero. Of course there is no gaurantee how V&T will skate at Worlds either.
    Well, at Russian Nationals, V&T were almost perfect. There's no politic in the fact that they beat K&S. Everything V&T did at Nationals was better than K&S !

  19. #79
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,115
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Well, at Russian Nationals, V&T were almost perfect. There's no politic in the fact that they beat K&S. Everything V&T did at Nationals was better than K&S !
    Of course. However Russian Nationals are so political that if the fed. still considered Kavaguti & Smirnov their #1 they still would have had atleast equal (or slightly higher) PCS and been atleast close to winning the LP phase inspite of this.

  20. #80

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Usually in the D/W thread
    Posts
    5,078
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    585
    For me, not since G&G have I seen a Russian pair that looked so right (and so Russian!) than V/T. I cannot at this moment predict a podium placement at Worlds for this year, but if they continue and continue to improve, with more time together as a pair, they could be a magnificent force at the Sochi Olympics. I loved their FS, I happen to really like that music, and their elements were amazing. The lift right before the final section was incredible...his arm position and her air position..wow..and then a spread eagle for him coming out. Again, just wow. I really like his spread eagles. And just an incredible triple twist, too. They look great out there already and who knows just how fantastic they can still become. I wish them all the best.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •