vCash

Teena Marie has died

Remember R&B singer Teena Marie from the eighties? According to reports, it is unclear how she died, but she was only 54

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40815230
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I remember her. Wasn't she the first white person to be signed to Motown records?

vCash
    Gutted. Seriously. I heard the BBC mention it this morning, but I was half-asleep and was sure I misunderstood. Poor thing, it was so sudden. I grew up with her music.

vCash
    I was surprised to hear this - I thought she was touring again and making a little comeback. So sad.

vCash
    'Lovergirl' was a hit on the radio around '83. Very sad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    'Lovergirl' was a hit on the radio around '83. Very sad.
    Lovergirl and Square Biz were THE songs in the discos and brothels in the Philippines, seriously. Miss Teena was fabulous.

Quadless
    vCash
    So young. Lovergirl was one of the songs that defined early MTV.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash

She was only 54...

Quote Originally Posted by missflick View Post
    I remember her. Wasn't she the first white person to be signed to Motown records?
    I don't think she was the first, but was defiitely ONE of the first. Her first album was released without her picture on the cover so that people would judge the album on the musical quality and not on the skin colour of the person singing...

Quote Originally Posted by Cupid View Post
    I was surprised to hear this - I thought she was touring again and making a little comeback. So sad.
    She toured last year and was doing quite well. Her comeback started in 2004 with the release of her first CD in 10 years, which sold enough copies to go gold. Albums in 2006 and 2009 followed, both CD's reaching the top five on the R & B charts and top 30 on the pop charts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Lovergirl and Square Biz were THE songs in the discos and brothels in the Philippines, seriously. Miss Teena was fabulous.
    Agreed. "I Need Your Lovin'" was one brilliant song...

I Dare You To Watch This And NOT Get Up And DANCE!!!

M-O-N-E-Y never did a thing for L-O-V-I-N'...

And if you decide to check out "Lovergirl", you MUST stay to the end for the uber-funky ending and rap (which got edited out of the version most pop radio stations played):

Teena Marie - Lovergirl
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

Agreed. "I Need Your Lovin'" was one brilliant song...

I Dare You To Watch This And NOT Get Up And DANCE!!!
    This jam and Behind the Groove are on my iPod Nano workout playlist....

Reports say she had a seizure in bed while sleeping, but was still conscious in the ambulance, but a second seizure is what killed her. Poor baby. So young. I'll be playing her stuff all day today.

vCash
    How sad. She was a groundbreaker not only for being a white artist on Motown, but for also being an excellent guitarist and writing most of her own material.

I will have to check, but I think the first white female artist on Motown was Chris Clark in the 1960s...

ETA: According to the Internets, the first white solo artist on Motown was Debbie Dean, who did an answer record to "Shop Around" in 1960. Chris Clark was Motown's first white female soul singer, in 1965, and her records were mostly released on a Motown subsidiary label.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I remember her. I bought the Goonies sound track and there was a song called 14k by Teena Marie...

vCash
    Lady Tee will be sorely missed. She is the first woman that I really remember rapping (loved Square Biz). My favorite song of hers is "If I Were a Bell." Love it. The gir had some pipes.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Reports say she had a seizure in bed while sleeping, but was still conscious in the ambulance, but a second seizure is what killed her. Poor baby. So young. I'll be playing her stuff all day today.
    Apparently she suffered these two seizures a month ago, according to CNN. This last one killed her - there was no second seizure. Her daughter found her dead in bed. I still can't believe it.

vCash
    I grew up listening to the Teena Marie. Amazing guitarist, incredible writer and a fabulous soulful voice. Underappreciated in her lifetime but her hard core fans, like me always went to her concerts. The last time I saw her in concert was a few years ago. I have several of her CDs, Irons in the Fire, It Must be Magic, Starchild and others.

Some of my favorites are Portugese Love, SquareBiz, You Make Love like Springtime

I'm surprised no one has mentioned her collaborations with Rick James. Fire and Desire is a classic.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned her collaborations with Rick James. Fire and Desire is a classic.
    That was everyone's favorite prom dance song that I knew for at least a decade.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    On the Detroit NBC station today they were clarifying that Aretha Franklin (the Queen of Soul) was still alive and was resting at home after her recent hospitalization for pancreatic cancer. Apparently Teena Marie was known as the "white queen of soul") and news of her death had fans believing that Aretha had died.
    Can't skate but love to watch