Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I think I'll get used to it but for now I'm loving how much smaller it is than the two bulky books I am reading.
    Yes, I do like that. It's still weird to me to look at the library and realize that all those books are in there.

But I got used to having hundreds of songs on my little mp3 player, so I guess I'll adjust .

Those of you with Kindles might like to know how to read at least some library books on your Kindle, Amazon be damned: http://j2jensen.blogspot.com/2010/05...converter.html

And anyone with any e-reader might be interested in having this free e-book management system: http://calibre-ebook.com/about Calibre can convert MOBI files for your Kindle, among other things.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post

Reading The Magicians right now. So far, I'm pleasently surprised.
    Normally, I don't go around quoting myself nor post at 4:10am unless there's ice dance going on, but I felt I had to come on and post three simple words:

I was wrong.

If any other FSUers are up playing with their new Christmas Kindles/Nooks and are combing this thread for ideas, The Magicians is not it. At 35% of the book, I thought it was pretty good, the characters were likeable, and the description of magic was kind of awesome. By 56%, it was starting to annoy me. By 75%, it had devolved into rampant whining and Tolkein-esque silliness, and by 98% I wanted everyone in that book and the author to experience a long, drawn out "to the pain" a la The Princess Bride experience. I do not think I have ever hated fictional characters or a fictional world so much in my entire life. I'm pretty sure the author must kind of be a miserable bastard and overgrown, whiny, immature manbaby to come up with this shite, so I'm going to say I hate him too.

Seriously, I hated it so much at the end I am actually so mad, I don't think I can sleep. I know some maintain it's the mark of a good book/movie/play/TV show if it illicits a strong emotion, and normally I'd agree, but not in this case. This was just bad. If it was not housed in a piece of very expensive technology, I would have hurled it against the wall already. From now on, I think in place of a word defintion of "awful" this book should appear.

Weren't books that featured snivelling, so-intelligent-they're-miserable, all the world is drudgery unless you're too stupid to realize it, let's all wallow in our emotional muck type books supposed to disappear with the Clinton administration? Did Grossman not get that memo that yes, it's OK to create likeable characters in li-tra-chure again?

On an upnote, zaphyre, I have joined you in the realm of trashy reading and discovered an historical trashy romance novel I actually enjoyed--Loretta Chase's Lord of Scoundrels. It didn't have a pirate on the front cover, but it was pretty damn good anyway. (I d/led it when The Magicians started to piss me off, hoping a bodice ripper would put me in a better reading mood, but even a surprisingly good historical could save that dreck.)

I'm almost scared to start on The Sorceress and The Necromancer. Maybe I'm just not cut out to read fantasy novels unless there's Quidditch or kinky vampire sex.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Seriously, I hated it so much at the end I am actually so mad, I don't think I can sleep.
    That's how I felt after I read Twilight.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    That's how I felt after I read Twilight.
    I could only handle 100 pages of 'OMG, Edward is looking at me! OMG, Edward isn't looking at me!'.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Inspired by the multiple ballet threads I am reading Gelsey Kirkland's biography Dancing On My Grave. So far I can report that it seems Balanchine was a real tool in many different ways. He tried to screw with everything I love about classical dance starting with dramatic interpretation and ending with the port de bras. He tried to turn his dancers into robots who exist to mindlessly execute his choreography.

No wonder I never really took to his ballets.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    I could only handle 100 pages of 'OMG, Edward is looking at me! OMG, Edward isn't looking at me!'.
    You got that far? I barely made it past the first chapter. Every time Bella appeared, Edward should've
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    All right, I admit it. I *liked* Twilight. No, it isn't great literature, and Bella is somewhat annoying (but I teach high school, so I probably have more patience with overly dramatik teenagers than most), but I would read it again over anything by Wharton or freakin' Thomas Hardy.

Oh, and I teach English. But, yeah.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    You got that far? I barely made it past the first chapter. Every time Bella appeared, Edward should've
    I think it's only because it took about 2 working brain cells to read, so it would have been harder to stop reading than to continue. Pesky inertia!
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    I think it's only because it took about 2 working brain cells to read, so it would have been harder to stop reading than to continue. Pesky inertia!
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    All right, I admit it. I *liked* Twilight. No, it isn't great literature, and Bella is somewhat annoying (but I teach high school, so I probably have more patience with overly dramatik teenagers than most)
    You teach a class full of Bellas?? You poor thing!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Oh I didn't mind it that much -- except for the last book which just defied the limits of stoopidity. I read the series in tandem with my tween and we both enjoyed mocking it.

And Edward is a nimrod--he and Bella deserve each other. Jacob should have run screaming in the opposite direction and found himself a nice wolf-girl and had cute little wolf-babies.

So yeah, I'm team Jacob all the way

All right, I admit it. I *liked* Twilight. No, it isn't great literature, and Bella is somewhat annoying (but I teach high school, so I probably have more patience with overly dramatik teenagers than most), but I would read it again over anything by Wharton or freakin' Thomas Hardy.

Oh, and I teach English. But, yeah.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    You teach a class full of Bellas?? You poor thing!
    No, only about a third of them.

vCash
    Oh, that's more like it!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    You can now loan books on Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200549320

Heh heh. All those bitching librarians will break Amazon yet. Open library borrowing is only a heartbeat away.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    (Russian lit isn't my bag, for the most part, though I've dutifully plodded through various Russian classics because I figured I should.)
    "Dutifully plodded"? Personally I think Russian lit is one of the greatest in the world. Translation is always going to be a problem, especially with languages so different as Russian and English. "The Master and Margarita" by Bulgakov will probably always be one of my favorite novels. There are parts of it I don't like, but the parts I like are out of this world. If someone's interested in reading it, here's a little info on English translations.

Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Otherwise, I am loving my reader and think that my husband's dream of me not piling books on every available surface just might come true.
    I've been thinking about getting one for some time. I have rather traumatic memories of having to move with too many books, so I've developed a fear of buying books (not that it stopped me completely). But I still love to read. What do you have, a Kindle? I've been thinking about an iPad, but maybe a Kindle would be better (too many distractions with an iPad, and why pay extra for stuff I have my computer for?). Too bad I can't play with both before I decide.

Anyway, the books I'm reading now are about flash photography, Photoshop and two about narcissism: "The Wizard of Oz and other Narcissists" and "Why Is It Always About You? The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism", which I'm finding rather enlightening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    "Dutifully plodded"? Personally I think Russian lit is one of the greatest in the world. Translation is always going to be a problem, especially with languages so different as Russian and English. "The Master and Margarita" by Bulgakov will probably always be one of my favorite novels. There are parts of it I don't like, but the parts I like are out of this world. If someone's interested in reading it, here's a little info on English translations.
    TMaM - one of the great under-appreciated novels of all time. Do you have a favorite translation that you prefer?

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I've never read more than 10 pages of Harry Potter because I only got that far when I tossed it, saying that I'd rather read THE MASTER AND MARGARITA with its Soviet magic tricks than that.....that.....book.

Is there a talking cat at the beginning of Harry Potter? Is that what made me think of TMaM? I can't remember now.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I would read it again over anything by Wharton or freakin' Thomas Hardy.
    Oh, I liked Tess of the D'Urbervilles and The Age of Innocence (especially the Daniel Day-Lewis movie). I wanted to reach into The House of Mirth and smack Lily Bart for being such a ninny, however.

vCash
    I got an e-mail newsletter from AbeBooks today with the subject line "Depressing Russian Literature." I'm not kidding, that's what it said!! See, even the professional booksellers are with me on this one!

I will say, though, that I read some of Chekhov's plays a year or two back and enjoyed them very much. Of all the Russian authors I've read, I found his style the most appealing. (Ironically, one of the things I most object to in Russian novels is a certain stagy quality, but in those plays I didn't see much of that at all!)

But on the whole, I prefer the Brits.

Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly
    I wanted to reach into The House of Mirth and smack Lily Bart for being such a ninny, however.
    I know, she really is exasperating, but I still love her. She holds onto her integrity so firmly -- and often against her own will -- but she always manages to do it in a way that brings disaster down on her head, poor woman. It's one of the few books I've read where I wanted to beg someone to compromise her principles just a little! It's so horribly frustrating to watch all the rest of them practically getting away with murder, while she has to suffer so much for being ethical.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    TMaM - one of the great under-appreciated novels of all time. Do you have a favorite translation that you prefer?
    I've never read an English translation of it. But going by the link I posted in my previous post, I'd avoid anything translated before 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Is there a talking cat at the beginning of Harry Potter? Is that what made me think of TMaM? I can't remember now.
    I don't know, I've never read Harry Potter. I'm sure I would have loved it as a child, but now not so much. As for The Master and Margarita, the talking cat was great, but one of my favorite parts was when the devil first appeared -- ever so nonchalantly.

But what you said reminded me of another book I read years ago. The Land of Laughs by Jonathan Carroll. It's was the first ever book I read by Carroll, and it's the "straightest" book of his, so to speak, so when

Spoiler

the hairs on my neck stood up and I looked up to make an eye contact with my roommate.

I got an e-mail newsletter from AbeBooks today with the subject line "Depressing Russian Literature." I'm not kidding, that's what it said!! See, even the professional booksellers are with me on this one!
    Well, saying "depressing Russian Literature" is like saying "general Russian Literature". Isn't most great literature depressing anyway?

Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast