View Poll Results: Would you wear fur if you had the option?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! It's comfy, and it would keep me warm and make me look tiffed!

20 22.73%
  • YES! It is more environmentally friendly than faux fur and synthetics

6 6.82%
  • NO! It is cruel and morally unjustifiable

32 36.36%
  • NO! It is tacky/I just don't like it

16 18.18%
  • I would only wear fur if it is vintage or used

14 15.91%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

How do you feel about wearing fur?

Hi all, hope you've had a very happy holiday season!

Today in our Christmas merriment, I got a present from my grandmother: a beautiful fur hat. The hat was new, and has stunningly soft fox fur. I've never owned any fur before, and never thought about buying it, mostly because it is so expensive.

Wearing fur is obviously a dilemma for for some, but I haven't given it much thought because I've never had the option. I honestly don't care whether others wear it, it's none of my business.

Somehow, though, wearing fur seems to have a stigma attached to it which makes me unsure of whether I want to wear the hat or not. I'd feel guilty. I understand the argument about cruelty to animals, but that doesn't sit comfortably with me when I have no problem wearing leather, eating meat, or using goose down comforters (I know geese usually aren't killed exclusively for down, and sometimes they aren't killed at all). I would feel like a bit of a hypocrite if I just gave up the easiest thing I could and patted myself on the back for being a friend to the animals.

There's also the fact that faux-fur and similar synthetics aren't biodegradable and will be sitting in a landfill for many, many years. Fur, on the other hand, is an organic material and will break down.

On a more shallow and materialistic note, the fur is absolutely gorgeous. It's very very tempting to wear something so soft and warm, especially on these freezing winter nights we have here.

I'm not necessarily asking for advice about my specific situation, or for anyone to justify my decision if I do end up using the hat. I'm simply interested in your views on fur. I know this is a heated topic, so I hope I haven't opened up too much of a can of worms. If I have, I apologize.
    Last edited by triple_toe; 12-26-2010 at 07:10 AM.

vCash
    I have never been an environment and do not know anyone who lives in an environment where I could justify wearing traditionally produced fur clothing.

I understand that for some places, such as some in Siberia, fur is the only material both warm enough and easily available, so fur is pretty much a practical necessity. I have no problems with people there wearing fur.

vCash
    A good fur coat will last a lifetime if properly cared for. I wouldn't buy one now, but I have a 30 year old coat that I had reconditioned a couple of years ago and it's looks great. Living in the climate that I live in, there's nothing warmer for those verrrrrry cold days. So I guess you could say that my coat is vintage (same as me )
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    While I think wearing fur is disgusting and would never do it, this was a gift. You didn't buy it yourself. If you want to wear it, I'm not going to berate you or throw red paint on you. (though I might've in my younger, less tolerant days. )

vCash
    I think it depends on what kind of fur it is. If it's fur from baby harp seals or endangered animals then no I wouldn't wear it. If it's fur from farm raised animals like rabbits then I would wear it.

Enjoy if if you like it. Don't let anyone try to bully you into not wearing it.

vCash
    I have a leather jacket and shoes and purses and think nothing of it, and most people don't although some will say if you won't wear fur you also shouldn't wear leather.

I do have a beaver-trimmed coat and a racoon-trimmed jacket that are absolutely beautiful and I do feel uneasy about wearing them.

I was offered a full-length mink coat by a co-worker because it didn't fit her (she said she would give it to me for free, but if I accepted it, I would have given her something), but I wouldn't want that.

vCash
    Voted vintage, but it's not safe to wear fur in this area as the PETA folks are more than happy to attack you with spray paint.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    I won't wear it and I hate to see it. Yes, hypocrite I am. I eat meat and wear leather. Fur is not needed for warmth here in Cleveland.

vCash
    Oh yes ! I love it !

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    Yes, hypocrite I am. I eat meat and wear leather. Fur is not needed for warmth here in Cleveland.
    And meat is not needed for good health either.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    I was just going to ask this very question! I was looking through the Loro Piana winter catalogue the other day and noticed that a number of their products used fur. Is fur coming back in to fashion? Was it ever out of fashion?
    Anyway, I have no problem with humanely produced fur. I eat meat and wear leather. Fur lasts longer than either of those.
    If you want to wear the hat, go for it. It sounds lovely.

vCash
    I choose not to wear fur, but I think it's a decision individuals have to make for themselves. That said, I think fur coats are fabulous looking. Viktoria Volchkova in particular had a fabulous one on today at Russian Nations.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    I have furs that I inherited from my mother and grandmother after their passing. I have never worn them, just because they seem so matronly. I keep them for sentimental reasons. But, I don't think that I would buy a fur of my own. They are way too dressy for my casual tastes.

But, I think that wearing furs (or not) is a personal choice. I would never impose my point of view on someone else, so I don't hold it against those who wear them. But they just aren't for me.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    I bought a bunny-lined hat last year that is absolute heaven when walking the dog on a sub-zero day.

I think I'd probably wear other fur too, though like you it's never been under consideration because it's too expensive.

I bought a "fur" vest at a consignment shop this year--I'm fairly sure it's synthetic, though the label is of an actual furrier & it says only use dry cleaning for fur to clean it. I've worn it a few times & love it, real or not.

vCash
    I have two gorgeous, intelligent house rabbits who live and act just like cats, they are no different at all. Would you wear cat fur? To me wearing rabbit fur (or any fur, for that matter) is absolutely reprehensible. Rabbits raised for fur live in absolute misery and die a very inhumane death.

vCash
    I voted vintage. I have worn a vintage coat from the 50ies with a fur trim to a fancy event. But that's absolutely where it stops. I was gifted a mink coat some time ago and just could not wear it- returned it to the giver so she could sell it. I would not wear fur and would not buy fur, with the rarest exceptions- and I think as I get older the exceptions disappear, as well.
    Leather is trickier- I wear leather shoes and think as long as cattle is killed, all of it should be used. But then, I am leaning towards being vegetarian- and if I go all the way, leather might become problematic- but it has important practical use, unlike fur. Leather shoes are truly better...
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonita View Post
    I have two gorgeous, intelligent house rabbits who live and act just like cats, they are no different at all.
    Rabbits can also become nuisance pest in some part of the world.

Rabbits raised for fur live in absolute misery and die a very inhumane death.
    Proof ?

vCash
    [QUOTE=orbitz;2999648]Rabbits can also become nuisance pest in some part of the world.

Wild rabbits are not the same as rabbits used in fur factory farms. I don't believe in killing any creature, though.

http://dkbunnybutcher.com/why-donna-karan.aspx

View the slide show at the bottom only if you have a strong stomach.

Quadless
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    ......the fur is absolutely gorgeous.
    It is indeed. On its original owner.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    [QUOTE=Bonita;2999664]
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Rabbits can also become nuisance pest in some part of the world.

Wild rabbits are not the same as rabbits used in fur factory farms. I don't believe in killing any creature, though.
    Are you a vegetarian? Just curious...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast