Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Received an email to stop eating on the 22nd---a menu was found and tried from "English Home" magazine or something like that--anyway here is the announcement (it was delicious btw.)

Covin English Christmas 2011
    Christmas Eve Dinner Menu
    Appetizers
    Mulled Red Wine
    Roast Goose With Port Gravy
    Roasted Potatoes
    Spiced Red Cabbage With Apples and Orange
    Roast Root Vegetables
    Pork and Chestnut Stuffing
    Dessert
    Deep Dish Apple-Bourbon Streusel Pie
    Cookies baked by Elfs (Aub, Hay and Sofia)

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Lots of home made Christmas Cookies
    About 14 giant chocolate malt balls
    Turkey Lasagna
    8 cups of strong black tea
    2 glasses of sweet white wine
    Some kind of sliced sausage with some kind of sliced cheese

Now I'm hungry again, so I'm going with the Combos here in the hotel room.

Seriously, it's been a great day with my two precious grandsons, ages almost 4 and 17 months. We've all given each other colds along with the many gifts, but it's been worth it. I've taken over 300 photos and crawled into bed for the past three nights before 9 p.m. I'm exhausted but this is probably the best Christmas I've ever had! Don't remember what gifts I got, but the biggest gifts were two squealing, energetic boys. One more day with them, and then back to the diet and work work, work.

vCash
    We have still had only 3 of our 5 Christmases. In residence, we only have our youngest today, 6 more will come tomorrow and 4 more the day after. I made a turkey and bought a ham to have in the house. We had filet for my DH's sister and parents, and they've gone back home with FIL's immobilizer from 92 year old broken kneecap. Rib roast tomorrow with Yorkshire Pudding for the next shift with 6 more. Probably lots of spaghetti, meat loaf and mac and cheese when the kiddies get here as we will be 13 by then for the week, with lots of fish and salads for us girls. I got a new Canon itty bitty Power Shot, already an upgraded model from the one we gave youngest for her BD in October, and lots of books. DH got tools and clothes because he never spends money on himself. Laceydaughter got clothes, jewelry and some creative toys and games that she still plays at 25. One is a Lego Fallingwater. Can't wait for the six grands to open. Lucy loved her unstuffed squeak toy.

vCash
    I fixed pork tenderloin roast, twice baked potatoes, broccoli/mushroom cassorole, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce for the pork, french loaf bread. Everyone was full by the time we opened presents.

The grandkids were the most fun. They got way too much from everyone, but it was fun. The kids got what was on their lists. And they gave us a gift certificate to BRIX

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    My family had a Lebanese dinner on Christmas Eve: tabouli, homous, kibbeh, babaganouj, kafta, salad, pita bread - it was delicious. On Christmas day, we had prawn cocktails followed by cold turkey, cold ham, salad, and roast potato. Then ice cream pudding and then traditional pudding with brandy custard. It's all been worthy.
    We ate the same this year (but I got some spinach and cheese parcels as well since I am vegetarian). We added antipasti for me too.

I got a red ice cream, frozen yoghurt and sorbet maker and my parents have said they'll pay for postage since I already have my 20kgs to take back to Beijing I also got some gift vouchers, cookbooks, chocolate, a cat calendar, a recipe organising folder, vegemite and other Aussie treats etc.

I gave my step dad a knife sharpener and blades and a toy lounge set (he jokingly asked for a lounget suite), my sister a voucher to swim with the dolpins (and me!) on December 28, my mum tickets to see A Chorus Line on New Year's Day (also with me!) and a puzzle patter with 5 dishes that fit together on a wooden base to form a Chinese coin and a set of 5 bowls that stack together to look like a Chinese lotus flower, my nephew I got a cooking class with the guy who came second on Masterchef Australia and an apron signed by him, my brother in law got a beer and a voucher for the local pub, and my dad got the Nespresso coffee varieties for Christmas that sold out in a day here but were still available in Beijing (cherry, dark chocolate, and vanilla) and a coffee cup and saucer with Chinese characters on it. I gave some small tree fairy presents too.

I had a fabulous day, I love summer Christmas with my family and this is the longest I have been home in years (18 days, I arrived on the 19th and leave on the 5th, my nephew's birthday is New Year's Eve so I'll be here for that too).

(((((hugs))))) to all who find this time of year difficult. May God comfort you.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Went to The Husbands' house and Brazilian Husband cooked and baked:

A wonderful turkey
    Stuffing
    Brussel sprouts with bacon
    Creamy mashed potatoes
    Cooked carrots
    Pumpkin pie
    Cheesecake with berries

Yummmmmmmmmmm......

The best part was sharing it with them and their friends.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    We had a turkey dinner just like Thanksgiving! Yummmmmmmm.

I was very excited to get a laptop from my parents ("this is for Christmas and your birthday, and next Christmas, and your next birthday" ) and an accompanying external mouse from BFF. Also good was a nice sweater from Old Navy and Sephora gift card.

Kind of disappointed in the rest of the gifts, to be honest. I don't have a lot of money to spend on myself, so it's hard for me to be happy receiving random stuff people think I'd like - which inevitably ends up in the donation bag. Such a waste and it makes me feel very guilty for not enjoying a present.

Anyway, on a good note, my nephew loved the book sling I got him. I painted his name on the front and got him some Toy Story books (he's obsessed), and now he can take books out and put them back all by himself, and I got to encourage reading! I can't wait until he's old enough for me to buy him art supplies.

All in all, it was a really fun day spent with my family. I do love them, small lack in present-buying prowess aside.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Kind of disappointed in the rest of the gifts, to be honest. I don't have a lot of money to spend on myself, so it's hard for me to be happy receiving random stuff people think I'd like - which inevitably ends up in the donation bag. Such a waste and it makes me feel very guilty for not enjoying a present.
    I'm kind of in the same boat since I'm difficult to shop for unless you know me well. After Christmas spent with each side of the family, I always round up stuff to take to Goodwill. I wish I could get stuff I liked and needed, but it's still kind of fun to open the gifts, and I'm sure others appreciate the donations.

This Christmas was pretty fun, despite being disappointed over the lack of snow. My family and I had a light breakfast with orange danish roles, turkey in the afternoon with my boyfriend's family, and then snacks and desserts in the evening while watching movies. I like how low-key it is, just good food that doesn't take too much work.

I did almost all of my shopping on the 23rd, so it was very last minute, but I liked what I got. A coral scarf and jewelry case for my sister, slippers and a pretty edition of The Chronicles of Narnia for my mom, a cool T-shirt for my brother, books for friends, Magic cards and chocolate pudding for my boyfriend. Not bad for doing it all in one day!

From my family and friends, I got books I'd been wanting, a really soft sweatshirt and socks, a calendar, candy, and some spending money. My boyfriend gave me a beautiful opal necklace, which made me feel kind of silly since I got him such a dorky gift. But he loved it anyway.

Mostly it's great to be home with family and done with school for a while. I really enjoyed the day, and I hope everyone did too. Merry Christmas.

vCash
    I cooked a big turkey dinner with all the trimmings and had my two children, my mother and her SO, and my ex (insisted by the kids). It was a lot of work and I did it all by myself, except for the cake. So I had roast turkey with gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, homemade cranberry sauce, cornbread stuffing. For dessert, black forest cake, shortbread and double chocolate cookies. For appetizer, I made dates stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in pancetta.

Favorite gift I got was Sue Grafton V is for Vengeance book, Love Pink pajamas, toaster oven, a silk pear tree (it's huge) for my living room to fill the one corner, slippers, purple top, and lots of $$ from my mom and ex-MIL since they are no longer able to get out and shop.

I gave clothing, makeup, gift cards, boots, purses. It was a light Christmas for me since I had all the expenses of buying a house and unexpected other expenses.

All in all, it was great. Merry Christmas everyone!

vCash
    Angelskates -- I'd like to come to your house for Christmas Eve dinner next year. Yum.

We make potstickers, which I do love. Other than a small handful of Christmases when we were out-of-town, I think we've been doing that on Christmas Eve for nearly 25 years. Of course, each year is a little exciting as we venture into the Asian Food Market and try to guess which frozen packet of skins are the thin ones -- they're labeled in Chinese, and the place that makes them uses different colors for the labels somewhat randomly. Some years the blue-labeled ones are the thin ones, some year the pink ones. Also convinced that the loaves and fishes story must really have been written about potstickers, because the number you can make from a third of a pound of ground pork and a bit of napa cabbage, scallion, ginger and whatnot is remarkable.

Got H a stylus for his Kindle Fire that his company gave him as a 10 year anniversary present. His old, fat fingers weren't working too well to try and type on the touch screen -- D couldn't figure out why anyone would want that. Got my nephew a Bakugan Draganoid Destroyer, and from the way he didn't put it down all afternoon I think that was a hit. D passed along to her cousins a huge bag of foam (hair) rollers which their mom says have been in continual use since the moment they got them home. I got some dumbbells and some door straps for my stretchy exercise bands -- slowly but surely building up to everything I need for a full workout at home. H is making me a wobble board. Also got a new apron which is a very cool design -- the neck loop and waist strings (?) are all one continuous piece. And got a large Yankee Candle pumpkin pie scented two-wick candle -- what a great scent. Found SIL some Fannie Mae "Pixies" which are apparently a candy much beloved of those who come from Chicago. I'll stick with the annual box of Sees, thank you.
    Last edited by barbk; 12-26-2011 at 04:05 PM.

vCash
    Christmas has always been very up and down for me..given a LOT Of crap happened during this time 12 years ago.

As for food, I made a 14 pound turkey using my homemade herb butter, freshly minced garlic and with veggies. Also made rosemary potatoes, corn souffle and bread.

For gifts, I received a much needed comforter, a $100 gift card to DSW (much needed since I had to throw out 5 pairs of shoes--I go through my shoes like TP ). Gift card to Utrecht Art Supply (gentle nudge from my father to continue developing my art).

From my boyfriend, he had his XBOX360 repaired and it's being shipped to me. Can't wait to play Mortal Kombat There's another gift from him that hasn't arrived yet..so who knows!

From my boyfriend's family: they went crazy and got us floor tickets to see The Lion King broadway play at our theater..a 2 hour cruise on this ship that has the glass bottom in Key Largo. I also got a groupon from his mom for a 45 min massage and facial at this spa. Yay!

I gave:

My father: Gift cards to Amazon and JCPenny
    Mom: clothes. Took her out shopping, gave her a budget, and let her pick what she wanted. She flew in from Texas so this makes it much easier on both of us.
    My sister: Clothes. Took her out shopping and let her pick out what she wanted.
    Boyfriend: New Zelda Wii Game, gift card for 4 rats for his pet snake, AMEX gift card, a Tire pressure gauge reader and LED light from Brookstone
    Boyfriend's family: Awesome wine aerator (sp?) from Brookstone
    Friends: Packages of homemade bourbon balls, truffles, and tea cakes. We did not do presents this year...and instead spent time together by having parties and potlucks.
    "Eve was not taken out of Adam's head to top him, neither out of his feet to be trampled by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him."

vCash
    Oooo, I love the annual Stuff thread!

For Christmas Eve,we had gumbo and fried quail, a type of French bread called a pistilet, fudge (homemade by moi), cheese plate, chex mix, many bottles of wine and egg nog (gross) and a nod to healthiness by salad straight out o' bag, which no one of course ate.

For Christmas Day: Roast prime rib, huge baked potatos, salad, yeast rolls, wine, egg nog (still gross).

Gifts I Gave:
    Mom Moose Munch, a calendar featuring the Greek Isles (she loves that shade of blue), a handmade sign that spells out our last name in symbols of New Orleans, bubble bath, and a picture she really loved I took of New York blown up into a canvas poster.

Dad, gave: Old Spice (tradition), LED lights for his computer, an app gun he can put his iphone in and it looks like he's shooting aliens, a racing app steering wheel you can put your iphone in, and an old-fashioned train set.

The bratling: an LSU Mr. Potato Head, a handmade sign that spells Tigers using symbols found on the LSU campus, and a USB thingy that plugs into your computer that keeps your drinks warm AND cold.

Older brother: The USB chiller/warmer, Lost Restaurants of New Orleans

Older sister: Vintage apron, Lost Restaurants of New Orleans, fleur-de-lis copper cookie cutter

Sister-in-law: Decorator candle from Kirlands, piece of the china she collects.

Aunt and uncle: Trapper fashion hats

Nephew 1: Two books and a Best Buy gift card

Nephrew 2: Horrible Bosses, Super 8. Bought his wife a set of Mikasa wine glasses. Her daughter got Tinker Bell stuff.

I only bought one friend a Christmas present, because she's had a bad year: I bought her two blingy rubber ducikes from Pier One--she collects Rubber Ducks. I did buy all my friends' kids books signed by the author, a color-yourself dollhouse and stuff from Cars for my friend who has somehow managed to raise two red necks in training.

What I got: Pretty Little Liars and Vampire Diaries on DVD, knock-off Pandora bracelet and TEN THOUSAND BEADS TO PLAY WITH (you can order 100 beads from China on ebay for $1), several books, OPI nail pollish, bunch of stuff from Sephora a New Orleans Water and Sewage board necklace/earring set (yes, I know that sounds strange, but our manhole covers are really, really unique and beautiful--they have a moon and stars design), red leather Samsonite messenger bag , bubble salts, costume jewelry, Harry London chocolates a PINK LIGHTUP COWBOY HAT, a Swiss Army Knife, which I suprisingly LURVED; it was the real deal with ten thousand sharp things, including I kid you not, a mini-hacksaw (which I tried out right away and promptly cut myself with) costume jewelry, boots and a hello-kitty lunch box.

I got a lot more gifts than the bratling this year. The bratling made a few passive aggressive remarks, and my mom looked at him and said, your sister is cheap and easy. This is how you get everything you want.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    This morning: Pannetone french toast.
    Last edited by Fergus; 12-26-2011 at 05:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    This morning: Pannetone french toast.
    That sounds yummy. Hope it was delicious.

vCash
    ^ Absolutely!

With enough Pannetone left over to dip in champagne after dinner.

vCash
    Oooo, that sounds fabulous, Fergus. Pannetone french toast with champagne sounds so :glamour:

Just got back from shopping with my mom. I got two purses, two pairs of shoes, two pairs of earrings, a calendar for home and office, and Boone's Farm Sangria for New Year's. I had to.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Well, it was 15 years ago today, that my little boy passed away from luekemia, BUT, I am holding it together (Christmas Eve is always the hardest for me, and now it is past.) Major family problems/sadness abound in my oldest daughter's family, but the new year is almost here, and I always have bright hopes for the new year - yea!!
    Oh, Nubka -- somehow I missed this yesterday. I can't even imagine how bittersweet Christmas Eve must be each year. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. Good that he will always be in your heart, and I hope that 2012 is every bit as good as you hope.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Oh, Nubka -- somehow I missed this yesterday. I can't even imagine how bittersweet Christmas Eve must be each year. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. Good that he will always be in your heart, and I hope that 2012 is every bit as good as you hope.
    Thank you for your kind words! I'm doing much better today. The day after Christmas, I always feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I just love having a new year to look forward to.

Thanks for caring.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234