Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I'm a vegetarian, and probably the only person in the world who thinks mashed potatoes are vile. I had Kraft Dinner. It was delicious.

I got 3 pairs of slippers (I'm always cold ), bath stuff, make up brushes, books, a few DVDs and Wii games, pajamas and t-shirts, an itunes and visa giftcard and a few other things.

I gave the BF a mini fridge for his game room and a bunch of little stuff. Everyone else got pajamas, DVDs, giftcards (Apps cards for my sister and dad who both have Iphones were a big hit) and books.

vCash
    Received: glass apple paperweight (from 14 year old niece); flannel pajamas, house slippers; pale slate blue sweater with shirred sleeves; teal green top with matching jewelry and scarf, journal, shower gel

Gave: Liz Claiborne handbag, matching place mats and napkins set, table cloth, $20.00 gift cards for niece and grandnephew, leather gloves, insulated, stainless steel coffee holder, $100 gift card for Mom (she prefers gift cards or cash), silk scarf.

We ate: ham with pineapple glaze, beef brisket, baked chicken with dressing, collard greens, green rice casserole, cranberry/orange gelatin salad, home-made dinner rolls, homemade pound cake and cherry cobbler for dessert.

vCash
    Ate:Heavenly ham,mashed potatoes,green bean salad,7 layer salad,field peas w/country ham in them,rolls,pumpkin casserole type thing with marshmellows...And lots and lots of candies and cookies.
    Gave: alot of matchbox cars and books,jewelry I made and bought,homemade candy and other various things.
    Got:Alot of jewelry,most of which I like.

vCash
    Got: DVD copy of Stella Dallas and CDs of Minnie Riperton, Phyllis Hyman & Dionne Warwick collections.
    Talk about gay crack .
    Second dinner tonight at old friend's house: pasta fagioli, leftovers from seven fishes dinner, Italian cookies...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Got: DVD copy of Stella Dallas and CDs of Minnie Riperton, Phyllis Hyman & Dionne Warwick collections.
    Talk about gay crack .
    Second dinner tonight at old friend's house: pasta fagioli, leftovers from seven fishes dinner, Italian cookies...
    If that's gay crack, what's a Barbra Streisand/Bette Middler collection?

And what's a "seven fishes dinner"?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feast_of_the_Seven_Fishes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Everyones' menus sound so wonderful. I'm most jealous of Angelskate's. My dad was Lebanese but none of the older generation are still around to make the traditional goodies. My favorite was tabouli. But several of my siblings make baklava so I should get that when we get together today.
    I've had several pieces of baklava this Christmas, but I don't make it. It's far too fiddly for me and every time I've made it my mum has said it's got either too much or not enough rose water I'll stick to the falafel, tabouli, hommous and babaganouj. I also love fattoush (bread salad) but we didn't have it this year.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Christmas Eve dinner at my parent's house: pork tenderloin, roasted potatoes, perogies (cheese/potato and kraut ), waxed beans, salad, various other yummy appetizers and cookies.

Christmas dinner at my house: spiral sliced ham, broccoli, asparagus, au gratin potatoes (that my Mom made because my oven is broken), mashed red potatoes, salad/veggies, and a peppermint ice cream cake with an oreo cookie base for dessert that I bought at a local ice cream shop. Appetizers were pistachios, hummas, and spinach dip with fresh pita bread slices.

Gave:

Son: 5 hours of golf lessons, a shadow box for his hole in one ball and score card from this summer, a new golf bag, a Hollister sweatshirt and a nine-piece box of Godiva chocolate.
    Husband: Taylor Made irons (demos - couldn't afford new - those suckers cost a fortune!), a renewal to a magazine that he loves that had lapsed, and a Bob Marley cd.
    Mom: An IPod shuffle, a book on wool and yarn since she just bought a spinning wheel (seriously ), and a fleece shirt with a two-piece box of Godiva.
    Dad: A binder for his stamp collection, a bottle of Michigan rum (he likes home-state made stuff and this is the first Michigan rum I've ever seen) and a Monty Python dvd collection.
    Santa to son: Two xbox games and a sample collection of men's cologne (he's trying to find scents that he likes) plus stocking stuffers like candy, beef jerky and lottery tickets.
    Uncle (we drew for names w/ a $20 limit): Cabelas coffee cup, Cabellas travel mug, and a selection of wild game summer sausages (also from Cabelas).
    Cousin (also in the drawing part of family gifts): A bottle of nicer whiskey than he can afford on his salary and $10 worth of lottery tickets that he only won $2 off of. It probably would have been better to give him the $10.
    Son's gf: A nice, big bag to hold her new skates.

Got: A nice bracelet with multi-colored stones, two pairs of earrings, a Michigan State sweatshirt, a sweater and nice pants, a beautiful, soft new leather coat to replace my shabby looking one, Godiva chocolate, sparkly earmuffs, a patio weeder (one of the stranger gifts I've ever received, and why my mother gave this to me and not my son I am not too sure ) and a pretty bookmark (in addition to one of the aforementioned earrings) that shows that my son's gf has pretty good powers of observation, since I am always reading.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Rehab.

I have several Italian-American friends who say it's a Italian Christmas tradition.

vCash

Dog didn't make it ...

and neither did my marriage. 2011 is/was such a sad year for me. I am trying to count my blessings, though. I've got my health, my kids are doing great in college, I was able to buy another house... things could be worse.

The reason I bumped this thread was I was searching for my French Toast recipe I posted here because I can't find it in the boxes when I moved to the new house.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupid View Post

As the day unfolded, I came to the realization that we may not all be together again next year for Christmas (mom, MIL, and my dog being the most likely) and for that I was very grateful and blessed to have them this year.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    We had a non traditional family dinner when I went home to TX for Christmas this past weekend. My stepmom made Shepherd's Pie and it was delicious! As for gifts we got a really nice set of Calphalon pans and $$!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    and neither did my marriage. 2011 is/was such a sad year for me. I am trying to count my blessings, though. I've got my health, my kids are doing great in college, I was able to buy another house... things could be worse.
    Sorry, Cupid. Hope 2012 is a better year.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash

The reason I bumped this thread was I was searching for my French Toast recipe I posted here because I can't find it in the boxes when I moved to the new house.
    I've made this on Christmas morning several times since you originally posted the recipe in a Christmas breakfast thread a few years back. I'm sorry your year hasn't been a good one, here's to a great 2012 for you.

Cupid's French Toast :

Baked French Toast

1 baquette French bread, cut in 1-inch slices
    6 large eggs
    1-1/2 c. milk
    1 c. light cream or half-and-half
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
    1/4 c. butter, softened
    1/2 c. firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 c. chopped walnuts
    1 tbsp. light corn syrup
    Maple syrup

1. Butter 9x13" baking pan. Arrange bread slices, overlapping, to fill pan completely. In medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg; mix well. Pour over bread slices; cover and refrigerate overnight.

2. Next day: Preheat oven to 350F. In small bowl, combine butter, sugar, walnuts, and corn syrup; mix well. Evenly crumble over bread. Bake 40 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Makes 6-8 servings.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    Hey, I got season 1 of true blood and don't really know much about it.. (had asked for any dexter or current house). All I know is it is a vampire show. Is it good?
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    I got Rise on DVD and the 1961 championships dvd as well. I didn't ask for the second, so I'm really excited for that. I'll have to wait to watch with my mom some time, though. We didn't get to go to the theater for it because she had major eye surgery a few days before (not lasik, there are other much more serious kinds of eye surgery...and I say this because the words "eye surgery" seem to garner the response "my dog walker had lasik and was back to work in 23 minutes").

I also got a great skirt and a gorgeous really warm oatmeal cable knit sweater.

Gave--my husband and I hit the jackpot with gifts for his family this year. They all loved everything they got. Some hard to find dvds, bunny stuff for my MiL, and a great coffee mug with cats scratching the sofa and the caption "Cat Yoga--sofa salutation pose" for my cat loving yoga instructor sister-in-law.

Christmas with my family on Tuesday...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Hey, I got season 1 of true blood and don't really know much about it.. (had asked for any dexter or current house). All I know is it is a vampire show. Is it good?
    It's brilliant.

As are pretty much all HBO shows.

(Although I don't think they'll ever be able to outdo "Six Feet Under")

vCash
    Well, it was 15 years ago today, that my little boy passed away from luekemia, BUT, I am holding it together (Christmas Eve is always the hardest for me, and now it is past.) Major family problems/sadness abound in my oldest daughter's family, but the new year is almost here, and I always have bright hopes for the new year - yea!!

We just finished a late breakfast, and the turkey will go into the oven soon. I recieved a pair of black, knee-length boots, some Angel perfume and two, count em, two Gram Parson CD's, so I am a happy camper!

Whatever life brings, we just have to make the best of it, right? Happy holidays to all here at FSU.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I hope 2012 is a better year for you, Cupid.

Dinner: The turkey was divine, baked mashed potatoes with cheese and a green salad with fried feta cheese. Desserts were red velvet cupcakes and carrot cake. And I can't forget the red wine and pink champagne

Got: A gym bag from my Dirty Santa, money and clothes from my parents. They also paid for my new cellphone back in November when I lost mine.

Gave:
    My mother - We bought her a Cannon DSLR, with a tripod and a camera bag. It was from all of us (dad, brother, sister, dog) and she didn't really expect it so it was great. I also gave her a memory stick with all 10 episodes of Ringer with Spanish subtitles. She loves that show but never knows when it's on and doesn't know where she can watch it online with Spanish subtitles.

My dad - A new briefcase and a CD of Maria Callas' best pieces. He's an opera buff.

Sister: Furry earmuffs, fleece lined tights and new gloves. She's moving to Chicago so this will come in handy.

Dog: A squeaky Christmas owl toy and a stocking full of rawhide treats.

Little cousins: Lipgloss, headbands, hair bows. They're at that age were that stuff is getting to be really fascinating.
    Last edited by oleada; 12-25-2011 at 07:07 PM.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    Menu for Christmas Dinner!

Course 1: Homemade Antipasto (w/ salami, artichoke hearts, celery, peppers, black olives, pimentos, vinegar & oil) served with fresh Italian bread.

Course 2: Homemade meatballs served with a cheese ravioli in tomato sauce.

Course 3: Chicken Francese in a Lemon Butter Sauce, served with a side of mashed potatoes.

Course 4: Various pies & cakes.

YUM.

Anyone care to take a guess at my family heritage?

Received an iPhone (always wanted one!), various clothes, and gift cards. It was all very nice.
    Last edited by Jenna; 12-25-2011 at 07:08 PM.

vCash
    We're having a roast dinner here as usual, with my dad's yummy Yorkshire pudding. Insofar as presents, money, candy, things like that. And the best part? We're getting another kitten!

Christmas Eve was...a mess, so let's not talk about that, but no eating was to be had for us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast