Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    It was Scarfmas at the vesperholly family household: everyone got at least one scarf, and a few people got three. I gave most of my female relatives jewelry that I made, and some modest presents for the rest.

I got an awesome set of flatware (backordered until Feb) and the matching serving set from my parents, cheese spreaders, two pairs of slippers, two scarves, a Sephora body lotion set, a cutting board, a framed photo of my nephew, a MAC cosmetics set and assorted other small things.

AND a 1.5tb external hard drive and a TV/media thingie that lets me play downloaded movies and TV, YouTube, Pandora and Netflix through my TV. Goodbye cable bill!!!

My brother-in-law outdid us all: He made a rocking horse, stool and growth chart for my nephew, and a TV stand credenza for my parents. He's really awesome at woodworking.

vCash
    I got a bottle of YSL Elle, a digital photo frame, two scarfs, and a pair of diamond earrings. I also ate loads of red velvet cake...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Christmas eve dinner at some friends' house was roast beef, ham, mac & cheese, green beans, sausage, salad. Lots of desserts, too numerous to mention. Christmas dinner at a cousin's house was Italian style: chicken parm, ziti, meatballs, sausage, and a mixed greens salad that was great. Dessert was my M&M cookies, various Christmas cookies, and an ice cream "cake" (crumbled butter cookies for the base then vanilla ice cream then more crumbed butter cookies, topped by homemade hot fudge!). Oh and I had made mini bacon and onion quiches. Monday evening I'll make cheese potato soup and serve it with salad and bread, assuming my friend from Virginia makes it here, with all the snow we're getting (she's driving south from PA).

I got some gift cards, a decorative candle holder, some books on cats (from the dog belonging to one of my other cousins ), a little bag of "spa" type things like moisturizer and bubble bath, a Rachel Alexandra ornament, another ornament with beautiful images of a thoroughbred on it, a book on thoroughbreds, and some cat toys (again from the dog). I gave a broadway.com gift card to my cousin and her husband who hosted dinner, some gift cards and a t-shirt from Guatemala to my aunt, some rawhide chews and dog toys (from my cats to the dog ), some books for my cousin's kids, a Thomas the Train expansion pack for my friend's son, some chocolate to the friends that hosted Christmas eve dinner. Also gave a gift card to a nice restaurant to another friend.

It was a very nice Christmas and I didn't hit any traffic either going to my cousin's house or coming home. Today I may try to run out to the store before the big snowstorm hits but we'll see.

vCash
    Let's see...

Christmas Eve with my mom we had lobster and decided we should make that a new tradition. Christmas day I had dinner with my bf, bf parents, and some of my aunt's husband's family at my aunts. We had ham, salmon cakes, twice baked potatoes, spinach, and a 3 beans salad. Then homemade cranberry pudding and white cake with raspberries. Lots of good food.

I got a snaffle bit bracelet, nameplate for my newest horse's halter, a blanket for my dog, some clothes, and a handbag.

I gave almost everyone scarves (most were handmade), lots of picture items, a new camera for the bf, and a bird feeder for my mom.

Waiting on the new nephew... My SIL went into labor in the middle of the night!

vCash
    I made my French toast for breakfast and prepared a time-intensive lasagna with 4 types of cheeses and 3 types of meat with homemade sauce and everything! DH said I should make this more often, but then it wouldn't be so special! Also made a separate meal for my mother who's on dialysis and isn't supposed to eat a lot of foods.

My favorite gift was a pair of earrings from the DH amongst other things, cash (always perfect fit), and assorted clothing which may or may not go back due to sizing.

Gave camera to DH along with Polo cologne assortment, tons of gifts for the kids and other family members. Tried to get most things on everyone's wish list along with a few surprises.

Disappointments: Got a paperbook book from my favorite other, but already read that hardcover a year ago, got body wash instead of the suggested body scrub, no Santuku (sp) knife either.

As the day unfolded, I came to the realization that we may not all be together again next year for Christmas (mom, MIL, and my dog being the most likely) and for that I was very grateful and blessed to have them this year.
    Last edited by Cupid; 12-26-2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: favorite "author" not favorite "other"! :)

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Waiting on the new nephew... My SIL went into labor in the middle of the night!
    A great holiday present!
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    We had sausage soup for Christmas Eve, Breakfast Tacos for Christmas morning, and roast tenderloin, roasted green beans and garlic soup for Christmas dinner. Everything was delicious, but we were not impressed with the consistancy of the soup (a Julie Child recipe)

We also had some best ever gingerbread and our traditional Potica, a Slovenian bread.

Present wise , Son got a Slovenia natl. team jersey and a LA Kings Jersey, Daughter got clothes and gift cards to load up the nook she got for her Bday, and husband (khenry14 in fact) got DVDs" The Pacific and Invictus, and the new book about Mickey Mantle. I got an opal ring, which I love and the blueray of Back to the Future. We watched the whole thing at once and it was really fun!

vCash
    I got a "not welcome" present this morning - finding out my area is under a Winter Storm Warning until 5:00 PM MONDAY. We're supposed to be getting 6-16" of snow by Monday morning.

vCash
    I've been going to the same friends' house for Christmas since I was born, except for those years when either they were overseas or I was. This time we had:

Cheesepuffs
    Chicken with sour cream and basil
    Green beans with mushrooms
    Gray squash fritters with tomato relish (my contribution)
    Brown rice
    Mixed salad
    Cookies

vCash
    Everyones' menus sound so wonderful. I'm most jealous of Angelskate's. My dad was Lebanese but none of the older generation are still around to make the traditional goodies. My favorite was tabouli. But several of my siblings make baklava so I should get that when we get together today.

My husband & I went to Red Lobster for Christmas Eve dinner...actually we went about 2:30 & then went home to get ready for our Christmas open house that we have every year. It usually starts about 8:30a or 9:00a every year & goes to about 1:00p. This year we served rolls with real Canadian bacon (we order it off the internet), sausage rolls, coffee cake and a cheese/cracker tray, plus many cookies & candies. After everyone left we got back into sweats & pjs & just veg'd out for the rest of the day.

Today we're going to my sister's for the family get-together where we'll have the traditional ham & turkey dinner. All my brothers & sisters will be there & most of the nieces & nephews. My sisters & I are going to wear matching sweaters this year....we haven't done that since our Mother made us dress alike as kids.

vCash
    For Christmas Eve we had beef on weck, clam chowder, veggies, cheese, crackers, cookies, chips...

for Christmas Dinner we had a typical turkey dinner. I was most excited for the beef on weck.

vCash
    I eat too much! Lunch with family and a lot of cakes, biscuits and others sweet after!
    I got two cds, a book, skiwear, boot and I gave three calendaries (home made with family's photo), books, an hard disk!
    And today, 26th, another family lunch with traditional cooking, that I don't know how to translate in English!

vCash
    Christmas Eve at the in-laws: Ate egg drop soup (which I don't really like) because they have oyster stew for Christmas Eve and I can't stand that. So crazy SiL insists that she has to make another dish for me each year (even though I volunteer to do it myself) because it allows her to act martyred about it and try to make me feel bad for not liking the oyster stew and thus inconveniencing her. This year she decided to make egg drop soup, which she knows I find hopelessly bland (and quite frankly--made her way with water, about four pieces of green onion and eggs--is not enough food for a meal). From the parents-in-law, we got a bread maker and I got a $50 Sephora gift card. From my very thoughtful crazy SiL, I got a couple of used books. One of which is a bit dirty looking. Literally. As in the book is not physically clean.

From my husband, I got Tim Gunn's latest book and gift cards for Sephora and The Body Shop.

Gave: restaurant gift cards, books, a Beatles throw blanket for my Beatle-obsessed teenage nephew (that was a big hit!), DVDs, and a wooden bunny wall-hanging for my MiL (another big hit). For crazy SiL--three original LPs by her favorite singer and Smurf glasses found at two different antique stores (she loves the Smurfs).

Christmas Day: Ate turkey, dressing and the works at my parents' house! Yummy. Especially since I was starving from the evening of bland soup. Got an iPod converter for the car stereo, a nice hoodie and some small things. Plus a lovely portrait of Benjamin Franklin made by the U.S. Mint.

vCash
    For the last two Christmases my sister hasn't wanted to cook on Christmas, her daughter is not the fond of turkey so we have had Chinese take out for Christmas dinner. No fuss, little clean up and my sister isn't frazzled or tired at the end of the day. Unique maybe but I enjoyed it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralgraph View Post
    For the last two Christmases my sister hasn't wanted to cook on Christmas, her daughter is not the fond of turkey so we have had Chinese take out for Christmas dinner. No fuss, little clean up and my sister isn't frazzled or tired at the end of the day. Unique maybe but I enjoyed it!
    Is your family studying to convert to Judaism? And did you go to see a movie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dukfZs3RGhw

vCash
    As usual, ate myself into a food coma at both houses. Christmas Eve was Festa di Pesce at my s-i-l's - spicy crab dip, spicy shrimp dip, shrimp & lobster casserole, 3 different homemade veggie pizzas and pasta with seafood sauce followed by a bunch of desserts that I really didn't have room for. On my way to my brother's on Christmas, we stopped at my husband's relatives for homemade ravioli, but didn't stay for the turkey and trimmings. Christmas at my brother's was crown roast of pork, beef tenderloin, roasted veggies, and and another round of desserts that, again, I didn't have room for. To go bag with pork for pulled pork sandwiches and about half a carrot cake.

As for gifts, as usual, the smallest ones ended up being the most fun. For toys, I got Scrabble cubes and Zumba for the Wii. Lots of clothes. I'm deep into Decoded by Jay-Z and I recommend it for anyone who has ever been curious about rap culture. It's very well written and a real eye opener.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, potatoes, cake. Gave to the nieces gold and diamond hoop earings, nephews cool shirts, dad coat, sister, rice maker, other sister, fryer, brother, comfoter, daughter and grandkids nice camera (I get them a group present) then the kids got shirts. Mother, a photo of Charlie and Meryl personaly autograph and framed (which was her favorite present, since she kept it with her the whole day) and a bracelet. Also niece who is a huge softball player and autographed AAGPBBL catcher from the Rockford Peaches baseball card (she is also a catcher). No fights this year. And I had an abcessed tooth.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I don't celebrate Christmas being Jewish and all but the old Soviet tradition dictates celebrating New Year's instead and give/receive gifts.

So, I am planning to give: 1 cousin a grey cashmere scarf + an iTunes card (her choice), another cousin Stella & Dot jewelry (her choice), mom cream colored cashmere wrap (her choice of color, she rejected the dusty rose color I picked out ) dad, aunts and uncles not sure yet--going to hit some post-Christmas sales.

Hubby and I don't exchange gifts usually.

My mom already gave me a Sephora gift card which I've already spent. One cousin gave me professional grade skin care. Another is going to give me books (I know because she asked me to make my amazon wish list public at least for one day).

Mini Ice got Bob books which he is almost done reading and some formal clothes: a grey shirt, black and pinstripe slacks and vest and a tie. Very 1920's gangsta.

However, the bulk of the presents hasn't come in yet since NYE is a little less than a week away.

Oh and pssst, I know my mom is getting an iPad from my dad. Lucky her! he really wanted one for himself but needed an excuse...
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 12-26-2010 at 11:37 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    I'm going to Berlin for the NY and seemingly my present this year is going to be pneumonia!
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

vCash
    2 Cute Sweaters, one JC Pennys, one from Express. A snuggie ( but at least it's purple), a pair of slippers I'm probably going to exchange for a wallet since I need a new one.

I was responsible for Christmas Dinner at my house:

- Roast Quail with Roasted Root Vegetables (Fennel, Parnips, Onions) with fresh thyme
    - Spiced Burnt Orange and Cherry Marsala Wine Sauce (Pepper, Cardamom, Star Anise, Chicken Stock, Burleed orange, crushed cherries)
    - Orange and Sage Hand made Spaetzle sauteed in Butter.

Got my mom a cute Ralph Lauren sweater from Macy's that was a super on sale price, and my BF a jar of almond stuffed green olives.

My BF brought bread pudding over for dessert.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast