Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Dick Button's contract renewal situation for ISU Events post-2005 was related to his association, perceived and/or actual, with WSF. He has had opportunities to commentate since because of his popularity with loyal fans and he is an American legend:

- Friend of Ulrich Salchow
    - 2 Olympic Gold Medals
    - 5 World Championships
    - European Champion
    - 7 National Championships
    - The first to perform 2A in competition
    - The first to perform a triple jump, the 3Lp, in competition
    - The first to perform a flying camel spin
    - Harvard BA
    - Harvard JD

There are not too many like him left
    Last edited by bardtoob; 12-25-2010 at 08:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Dick Button's contract renewal situation for ISU Events post-2005 was related to his association, perceived and/or actual, with WSF.
    He was at the launch press conference for the WSF, but I believe the ISU's antagonism to him runs deeper. Several ISU Council members past and present have always resented Button's creation of professional skating competition. Dropping him from the broadcasts was stupid and petty and eventually they relented and he rejoined the broadcast team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy void View Post
    I will never forgive him for lambasting my precious freakin Liashenko in the 2006 Olympics. He was sooo unnecessarily bitchy he even shut up Sandra and Scott...
    At least he caught himself a bit at the end and apologized.

My favorite Liashenko comment of his: "Puccini cries out for spirals, but really good ones." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHKh0RAxDTA

Super nice guy in person, wicked sense of humor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JamieElena View Post
    Dick was on the ESPN broadcasts sporadically after the contract change, right off the top of my head, 2006 US Nats and 2008 Worldscome to mind immediately.
    And he got a pretty good gig at the 2006 Olympics on NBC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Dick Button's contract renewal situation for ISU Events post-2005 was related to his association, perceived and/or actual, with WSF. He has had opportunities to commentate since because of his popularity with loyal fans and he is an American legend:

- Friend of Ulrich Salchow
    - 2 Olympic Gold Medals
    - 5 World Championships
    - European Champion
    - 7 National Championships
    - The first to perform 2A in competition
    - The first to perform a triple jump, the 3Lp, in competition
    - The first to perform a flying camel spin
    - Harvard BA
    - Harvard JD

There are not too many like him left
    And he won an Emmy in 1981 for Best Sports Personality
    He is a spokesperson for Traumatic Brain Injury
    He created the very popular (and silly) Supersports program where players from different sports competed in stuff like weight lifting, bowling, & swimming.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    Was that when Fumie skated her free skate at 2003 Worlds? If it was, I was still so glad she medalled there.
    No, it was way back in the mid 90's when Kyoko Ina skated to it as a singles skater at nationals!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    No, it was way back in the mid 90's when Kyoko Ina skated to it as a singles skater at nationals!
    Thanks for clarifying that. I remember when Kyoko did both disciplines, too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    He created the very popular (and silly) Supersports program where players from different sports competed in stuff like weight lifting, bowling, & swimming.
    It's called Superstars.

I believe he also created Battle of the Network Stars.

vCash
    When he calls skating "delicious" - well not my favorite of his comments, but maybe a favorite from his list of odd comments.

vCash
    When Irina skated her Tosca at the 2001-2001 GPF Dick made a comment on her spirals to the regard, "That's just ugly...someone should tell her to go stretch." Pegyy also giggled at how poor her spirals wore at the same competition.

vCash
    Speaking of the 2006 Olympics, we can never forget Uncle Dick's "gay quintuple whammy" commentary of Chait and Sakhnovski's Olympic Free Dance! (I just fast-forward to the end of the dance @ 4:06, since it's the only part of the video that actually interests me... )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Ij7g-Qy8c

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by satchelpooch318 View Post
    Speaking of the 2006 Olympics, we can never forget Uncle Dick's "gay quintuple whammy" commentary of Chait and Sakhnovski's Olympic Free Dance! (I just fast-forward to the end of the dance @ 4:06, since it's the only part of the video that actually interests me... )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4Ij7g-Qy8c
    That's totally the one I sat and replayed and transcribed back in 2006.

". . . And sort of like watching an Alfred Hitchcock movie, where you knew the bomb was under the chair, you were just waiting for it to go off. It didn't happen here. If you're going to be . . . try to copy an icon, you better be very careful about it. Once you've seen Maria Callas in Tosca, or heard Judy Garland sing 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow', you better be careful about trying to copy it. If you're going to sing the National Anthem, you better be Whitney Houston, and not Roseanne Barr."

And this weird one I wonder about from time to time:

Johnny Weir, 2003 Nationals LP, after the first fall, before the second fall that ended the program -- Dick was going on about how if you're really hurt, you should get off the ice, but if you're not, you shouldn't stop the program just to straighten yourself out. He said something to the effect of, when Terry Gannon asked if it had ever happened to him, "Yeah, I fell on my face. I landed into the barriers, I pulled myself up, I couldn't see the person standing two feet . . . I got so angry I couldn't see straight. But I finished, and I kept falling. And then I walked onto 52nd Street outside Madison Square Garden . . . ah, I'm sorry."

vCash
    Mr. Button will be on "Access Hollywood Live" (FOX network) in the within the next 1/2 hour.
    He made a supposed to be funny or cute "piggy face" on the camera during the announcement that he is the only male back to back Olympic champ and that he is from Skating with the Stars. I don't know if this is a rerun airing or even what it's all about, so I didn't put it in TV announcements.
    ETA: It was a rebroadcast of when he was on SWTS. They showed clips of the show.
    Last edited by smileyskate; 12-28-2010 at 05:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that. I remember when Kyoko did both disciplines, too!
    I think Peggy was acutally the one who said "I'd like to see a little more swan to that Swanlake"

vCash
    During Alexander Abt's footwork, at the end of a rough skate: "I'm not sure he knows what dance hall he is in."

About xxxx (fill in the name of any very young and slender female): "She's the quintessential Balanchine dancer!"

About Pluschenko's Nijinsky LP: "Nijinsky must be rolling over in his grave. Not much Faun here."

During Debi Thomas' jazzy SP in the 1988 Olympics: "She has a street-smart sensibility"...which I found hilarious, because it was so racist (but not in an evil manner)

Then there's his famous singing "Thank Heaven for Little Girls!"

2004 Nationals, during Danielle Kahle's SP: "She's a Cutey Bumps if there ever was one!"

"The Anna Karenina of the ice, going down the grand staircase..." - Volchkova

"The Grace Kelly of the ice." - Roz Sumners
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 12-30-2010 at 07:54 PM.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I think you posted the wrong link, you posted something called "The Potter Waltz" .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    That's totally the one I sat and replayed and transcribed back in 2006.

And this weird one I wonder about from time to time:

Johnny Weir, 2003 Nationals LP, after the first fall, before the second fall that ended the program -- Dick was going on about how if you're really hurt, you should get off the ice, but if you're not, you shouldn't stop the program just to straighten yourself out. He said something to the effect of, when Terry Gannon asked if it had ever happened to him, "Yeah, I fell on my face. I landed into the barriers, I pulled myself up, I couldn't see the person standing two feet . . . I got so angry I couldn't see straight. But I finished, and I kept falling. And then I walked onto 52nd Street outside Madison Square Garden . . . ah, I'm sorry."

Another weird one, at 2005 Nats after the SP, Johnny got a 6.0 and Dick remarked how strange it was to get one with a fall.....except Johnny didn't fall in that program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    I think you posted the wrong link, you posted something called "The Potter Waltz" .

Here's the real link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GklM1M5KnBQ

vCash
    When Elena Sokolova finished "The Masquerade Waltz", and Uncle Dick said "She's an awfully cute gal, a 'cupcake', but this program doesn't work for her", giving Elena the nickname that stuck like, well.....cake frosting
    Last edited by Jot the Dot Dot; 01-02-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast