Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    According to KCC, the gate agent asked her husband's son to produce the credit card, which is against United's own policy that the purchaser ("you") may be asked to present the credit card.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

4 More Years
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    According to KCC, the gate agent asked her husband's son to produce the credit card, which is against United's own policy that the purchaser ("you") may be asked to present the credit card.
    I understand that, I should have highlighted the section that said refer to your confirmation page for information or instructions. When KCC's husband made the reservation, I suspect the original confirmation gave instructions for contacting United to validate the credit card number.

vCash
    Idiotic concept, particularly given that the person who purchased the ticket could be thousands of miles away, and I've never seen this issue arise with any other airline, despite purchasing tickets all the time.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemomaz View Post
    I understand that, I should have highlighted the section that said refer to your confirmation page for information or instructions. When KCC's husband made the reservation, I suspect the original confirmation gave instructions for contacting United to validate the credit card number.
    I've never paid for an online ticket for someone else, and I don't know if the site warns you before buying a ticket for someone else that you're going to have to schlep to an airport (since in-city ticket agents have all but disappeared) to show a credit card before the ticket will be issued. I once got award tickets for two people and had to go to the airport, but haven't since, as long as I'm on the website. If you have a password-protected account with them, and are signed in when you place the order and have the credit card number with the CID/CVV2 on it, that should allow the buyer not to have to go to the airport with the credit card.

Also, the "we may" stuff is ridiculous: I think they should tell someone 1. before they purchase and 2. after the purchase whether they need to go to the airport to show ID, or it should apply across the board, so that people don't get one set of rules with one flight and other set of rules the next time they fly. (There's enough of that.) If warned ahead of time, the customer could choose another way to buy, like through Expedia, which bears the fraud risk for third-party tickets, or choose another airline, which is, of course, why they bury it in the FAQs and fine print.

amazon.com does not use pre-stored credit card info if you add a new ship-to address; they make you enter the credit card details for the credit card on file again. That adds another level of security.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemomaz View Post
    Nope. I re-checked the confirmation & itinerary pages and there was no special info about having to validate the credit card.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12