Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I think the word "Olympian" always describe skaters who don't have World Champion,Olympic medal,GPF gold,Euros etc....

that word can make people who don't concern figure skating to know that they have attend the Olympic and is a good skater in their country.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    This is OT, but can't find it: does anyone have a time schedule for Japanese Nats?
    There is a time schedule at Kiss & Cry.
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...40&postcount=2

Oh... if you can't access to the post then.... (Is this OK? if not, tell me plz)
    Quote Originally Posted by midori View Post
    Schedule:
    http://www.skatingjapan.jp/National/...edule12.09.pdf
    Times are shown in JST (=UTC+9. Converter)

12/24 Fri
    16:00-16:?? Pairs SP
    16:20-20:30 Men SP (broadcast: 19:00-20:54)

12/25 Sat
    13:00-13:20 Short Dance
    13:20-13:35 Pairs FS
    13:50-18:10 Ladies SP (broadcast: 19:00-21:09)
    18:25-22:20 Men FS (broadcast: 23:25-24:45)

12/26 Sun
    15:00-15:20 Free Dance
    15:35-19:30 Ladies FS (broadcast: 19:00-21:54, with Pairs and Dance)
    21:00- National Team Announcement

12/27 Mon
    17:00-20:00 Gala (broadcast: 19:00-20:54)
    guest skaters for the gala: Lambiel, Plushenko

TV commentators:
    Ladies: Junko Yaginuma, Shizuka Arakawa
    Men: Takeshi Honda, Shizuka Arakawa
    Pairs: Rena Inoue(!)
    Ice Dance: Kenji Miyamoto
    This too will pass away.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Figure skating: World champion Asada faces uphill battle at nationals
    http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/sport...sp027000c.html

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dundas View Post
    It's a tragety that Mao had to bend to the pressure of stupid and crazy fans including fsuers to 'retool' her jump technique.
    I'm not sure what a "tragety" is, but it sounds nasty.

Nevertheless, if "fsuers" had the power to make every skater change the things the "fsuers" didn't like, skating would be a *very* different sport. Call me naive, but I think it takes a bit more than "pressure" from "fsuers" for skaters to do things differently.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    It's a tragety that Mao had to bend to the pressure of stupid and crazy fans including fsuers to 'retool' her jump technique. She won't be able to land one triple jump after the 'retooling' runs its course.
    I guess it was Mao herself that had realized at some point (probably right after the Olympics) that she needed to rework her jumps to be competitive against the likes of Yu-Na.

But at this moment I don’t think she is serious about changing or “retooling” her jump technique. I see no evidence of her efforts in correcting the wrong edge or the poor take-offs on her toe jumps, in her competition skating in any events this season. And she sounds like she would be happy if she could somehow just regain her old form. But I hope she address those old issues eventually. With the half-turn pre-rotation built in her jumps, i.e. full-blade take-offs on her toe jumps and backward take-offs on her axels, it’s like in basketball you attempt a three-pointer breaching the 3-point line every time and never get called for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Aw, poor Mao But the article isn't as dire as the title suggests. She seems to have perspective on her career and that she wants to compete in 2014.

Good luck to her at Nationals
    She's had such a tough season so far. I hope she can rebound and make the Japanese World team. With so much depth of talent in Japan, I hate to see any of the top competitors left off the team. Doesn't the Japanese Federation take into account all results - GP series, Nationals, 4CC before deciding who shall represent Japan and who shall stay home?

That said, I'd love to see Akiko on the team, too!

vCash
    Well, Irina Slutskaya didn't qualify for 1999 Worlds, and came back in 2000 even stronger !
    Don't give up, Mao !

vCash
    Of course you can do it! Go Mao!

I used to live in Adam's curls, but he cut them - so now I'm homeless. =o(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    That 3A looked amazing! She still has the jumps, so that's not the reason she's falling in competitions. I think it's the pressure of leaving Tarasova and wondering if that was the right decision, getting used to a new coach and the pressure of being reigning World Champion. We've seen it time and time b4.

I hope Mao can get it together. I want this Kim/Asada rivalry to live up to expectations!

Merry Xmas everyone!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RunnersHigh View Post
    Oh... if you can't access to the post then.... (Is this OK? if not, tell me plz)
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    I guess it was Mao herself that had realized at some point (probably right after the Olympics) that she needed to rework her jumps to be competitive against the likes of Yu-Na.

But at this moment I don’t think she is serious about changing or “retooling” her jump technique. I see no evidence of her efforts in correcting the wrong edge or the poor take-offs on her toe jumps, in her competition skating in any events this season. And she sounds like she would be happy if she could somehow just regain her old form. But I hope she address those old issues eventually. With the half-turn pre-rotation built in her jumps, i.e. full-blade take-offs on her toe jumps and backward take-offs on her axels, it’s like in basketball you attempt a three-pointer breaching the 3-point line every time and never get called for it.
    I think she's serious about improving; I just don't think she understands the importance of retooling her jumps. I mean, she's a two-time World Champion and an Olympic Silver Medalist. She does have issues, but were I in that position, I'd have a tough time understanding why I needed to rework my flawed technique.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I think she's serious about improving; I just don't think she understands the importance of retooling her jumps. I mean, she's a two-time World Champion and an Olympic Silver Medalist. She does have issues, but were I in that position, I'd have a tough time understanding why I needed to rework my flawed technique.
    I think Mao knows very well why she is doing this and why it's necessary. She would not have embarked on this journey otherwise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySpartacus View Post
    That 3A looked amazing! She still has the jumps, so that's not the reason she's falling in competitions.
    She's amazing, but the 3A in that video was cheated.

vCash

I don't think the problem is the pre-rotation, you are allowed a half-turn pre-rotation and a 1/4 underrotation on the landing so really a triple jump is only 2 1/4 revolutions. Many skaters use their full blade on takeoffs, and some great coaches like Frank Carroll evidently teach that style, look at Michelle Kwan or Mirai Nagasu. We can't compare with Yuna because Yuna has superior toe-jump technique to anyone at this time. I think for her it's more of a problem with things like the picking leg and how her upper body is bent down on takeoff... but I'm not a real expert by any means so if anyone could explain this further...

vCash
    It's a tragety that Mao had to bend to the pressure of stupid and crazy fans including fsuers to 'retool' her jump technique. She won't be able to land one triple jump after the 'retooling' runs its course.
    I hardly think Mao bent to crazy fans. Rather, it probably had more to do with edge calls and under-rotated jumps, that were costing her precious points.

vCash

OMG I AM SO SICK OF THIS PRE-ROTATION CRAP.

Anyways, she has definitely shown more improved jump technique, especially on the flip. She isn't using the balance checks she used to and also isn't staying on a deep outside edge before switching into the inside. The salchow also has a more stable entrance now than it used to way back. The lutz still does need some work, and her timing on the axel is better now than before.

vCash
    Sad to hear that from Mao. I respect her as a skater so much. I hope she does not give up.

vCash
    An Olympian is anyone who competed at an Olympics be it first or last place. Period.

I feel so for Mao. I keep wondering what happened to that amazing little girl of 4 years ago. I haven't given up on her though. I think she will pull through this slump yet.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Well, Irina Slutskaya didn't qualify for 1999 Worlds, and came back in 2000 even stronger !
    Don't give up, Mao !
    ditto

vCash

You don't know much about jump technique or correcting it, don't you....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySpartacus View Post
    That 3A looked amazing! She still has the jumps, so that's not the reason she's falling in competitions. I think it's the pressure of leaving Tarasova and wondering if that was the right decision, getting used to a new coach and the pressure of being reigning World Champion. We've seen it time and time b4.
    Sometimes, she loses the rhythm in her jumps, pressure or technique, I don't know, but she doesn't have the jumps with consistency, even at practices...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast