Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Holiday procrastinators anonymous

Ok everyone, fess up. What do you have left to do? I have an excuse (was sick, see Stomach Virus thread), but I just finished wrapping today and haven't started making any of the food that I need to take to Christmas Eve dinner. I'm a planner, and am really uneasy with how far behind I am. Anyone else?
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    If what you wrote is considered behind, I don't think there's a word for me.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Thanks for the reminder. I need to start thinking about gift-shopping.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I'm with Agalisgv. But seriously, Christmas Eve dinner will be fine, even if you pick up everything at the grocery store premade. I'm still working one-handed (literally) and everyone got put on notice weeks ago that Christmas dinner was going to be at someone else's house and that I'd be happy to arrange to buy anything needed. So, it's spiral sliced ham instead of turkey, and Costco's yummy sweet potato casserole with some of my pecans crumbled on top, and so on. And it will be great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Are your kids too old to believe that Christmas got moved back to early January?

vCash
    I was done shopping and wrapping weeks ago. The only way I'm behind is over the past month I've tivoed dozens of holiday movies and specials and haven't watched any of them yet. Movie marathon tomorrow I guess....Yes I know, rough life

vCash
    I was done shopping and wrapping a few days ago. I do Christmas Day dinner and never shop until the day before. I get up at 7:00 am Christmas Eve, have some coffee and go to the grocery store to avoid some of the crowds. This year has been very difficult, though. My mother has been in the hospital for the last week and was just transferred to a rehab facility. Lots of tests, not much in the way of answers. But she's 80 and has a 10" aortic stent, COPD, and other more complicated issues, so we're happy she's here. We didn't know until today if she would be able to leave for the afternoon and spend Christmas at home. She will, so I will cook. But I have no decorations except a tree. With going to the hospital and having a bathroom renovated, I have barely had time to bathe. So, there are gifts and a tree, and food, but it will be a rather exhausting and less festive holiday.

vCash
    Cruisin -- I'm glad you're getting your mom home for Christmas -- I'm sure that whatever you pull together will be less important than just knowing you're together. Happy Holidays.

vCash
    Well, I should be wrapping stocking stuffers right now, but instead I'm online - can I be president of the HPA?

Also need to clean up 2 more rooms in the house, and wrap a few more presents, besides the stocking stuff. Oh, and I want to dye my hair to hide the grey before the big party tomorrow...

Ok, I've got to go now, seeing it all typed out made me stressed, LOL!

vCash
    I put off doing a few things, and managed to injure my hand yesterday, so now I can't do a lot. Stuff like wrapping, last-minute tidying, etc, that you need two good hands to do. Really regretting it now.

vCash
    Everyone's presents, all 13 people, are wrapped except for DH. Fortunately, just have a tiny bit of fresh food to get tomorrow at a farmer's market, going to go at 8am. Oh, and hurricane daughter is home from NY, I am sure she's way behind, always does everything at the last minute and is out tonight. Our actual Christmas will be quiet. 4 grandbabies arrive Sunday, other 2 Monday. That's when the fun really starts, so I still have time yet.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    I have not started thinking about Christmas for friends and family. I did manage to do a good job of getting gifts and party for clients. I completed that shopping about 45 minutes before the clients showed up on site.

vCash
    I have some cooking to do tomorrow. Shopping and wrapping are done. My US cards all went out late, though.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Christmas is pretty much cancelled in my house. I was gone/travelling the two weekends I usually get presents, I came back with a nasty cold and tons of work to catch up on. Finally feel better today but at this point what's the point? People will get stuff in January. Or not. Who knows.

I am however making "my"* traditional Christmas french toast tonight so it will be ready to cook on Saturday. And maybe some cookies.

* I totally appropriated this tradition from FSU poster Cupid in 2005.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Cruisin -- I'm glad you're getting your mom home for Christmas -- I'm sure that whatever you pull together will be less important than just knowing you're together. Happy Holidays.
    Thank you . It has been a challenge. Much as I love Mom and worry about her, she can be anxiety inducing (). But, I'm glad she'll be with us here in my home and that we won't have to celebrate in the rehab (aka nursing home wing). And my best wishes to you and your family for the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Christmas is pretty much cancelled in my house. I was gone/travelling the two weekends I usually get presents, I came back with a nasty cold and tons of work to catch up on. Finally feel better today but at this point what's the point? People will get stuff in January. Or not. Who knows.

I am however making "my"* traditional Christmas french toast tonight so it will be ready to cook on Saturday. And maybe some cookies.
    Glad you're feeling better. How do you make French toast ahead of time?

vCash
    Cruisin- Hope your mother will be ok and have a good holiday.

As for myself, I just finished my shopping tonight. I had to buy groceries for the Saturday meal. My parents, siblings and I usually have our family dinner and open all presents on Christmas day, but this year, Mom and Dad are leaving early Christmas morning to go see my grandpa. So, the sisters and I are on our own. Tomorrow night we will have a family dinner and open presents. Saturday morning, the kids and I will open presents and then we will go to my middle sister's house and have lunch.

Regarding the wrapping and stuff, I've developed my own tradition of procrastination. I keep everything I buy for the kids in the trunk of my car. I drive around with it all in my trunk until finally, after the kids go to sleep on Christmas eve night, I bring everything in and wrap it. There is nothing under the tree until Christmas eve at about 2:00 a.m. when I finally finish wrapping! Earlier, I was remembering one time years ago when I couldn't find a pair of scissors in the house and I cut all the wrapping paper with a kitchen knife!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ice dance View Post
    I put off doing a few things, and managed to injure my hand yesterday, so now I can't do a lot. Stuff like wrapping, last-minute tidying, etc, that you need two good hands to do. Really regretting it now.
    I'm sorry you hurt your hand. I had surgery earlier in the month and learning to deal without my right hand has been a pain. At least I can type again. I hope your hand feels better very soon.

I did my "wrapping" one-handed this year with gift bags. Grab the middle of a piece of tissue paper with your good hand and sharply snap it. Now put it into the bag. Repeat several more times, and you now have a great looking gift bag. The dollar store provided the tissue paper and a bunch of gift bags. No tape, no ribbon. Used some stick on gift labels, and voila!

Re-registered User
    vCash
    It's 3:30 in the morning here. I finished my shopping at 4 this afternoon. I'm about 2/3 through my wrapping. No cooking done, just a tray of sweets I bought at a bake sale at work. I don't have my clothes for church tomorrow afternoon washed yet.

And I just realised that I've completely forgotten to buy my daughter a birthday present. Her birthday is the 27th!

I win.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    It's 3:30 in the morning here. I finished my shopping at 4 this afternoon. I'm about 2/3 through my wrapping. No cooking done, just a tray of sweets I bought at a bake sale at work. I don't have my clothes for church tomorrow afternoon washed yet.

And I just realised that I've completely forgotten to buy my daughter a birthday present. Her birthday is the 27th!

I win.

You just think you've won! I still have to put up the tree, decorate it, finish my shopping, buy groceries, do laundry, wrap presents, pick up relatives from the airport, drop off some children who walked in yesterday and announced they wanted to spend the night (so not much happened after that), prepare all the food since no one will help, and drive to the next city to drop off presents for friends before Xmas.

Beat that!

vCash

You just think you've won! I still have to put up the tree, decorate it, finish my shopping, buy groceries, do laundry, wrap presents, pick up relatives from the airport, drop off some children who walked in yesterday and announced they wanted to spend the night (so not much happened after that), prepare all the food since no one will help, and drive to the next city to drop off presents for friends before Xmas.

Beat that!
    ((((agalisgv)))) Good luck with that! I've got just over 2 hours to go and am all done, watching carols and waiting to go to midnight mass. I'll say a prayer for you all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast