Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Passport Renewal Questions....

.....do you have to pay for a renewal of a passport? Mine expires next January...

vCash
    Yep. Here's the State Dept. page: http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    Yep. Here's the State Dept. page: http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html
    What is the difference between the book and the card? Can they both get you across borders? I'm so cheap sometimes .
    I don't know when I'm gonna go abroad next, but it is a nice-to-have item, you know?

Let's go Anacode!!!
    vCash
    I could be wrong, but I think the card is more for traveling between US and Canada. I don't think the card could be used to get into Europe.
    Don't cry because its over...smile because it happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    What is the difference between the book and the card? Can they both get you across borders? I'm so cheap sometimes .
    I don't know when I'm gonna go abroad next, but it is a nice-to-have item, you know?
    The card is just good for Canada/Mexico/Carribean and only for land/sea. If you are flying to another country you need the book. Unless you live near the border and cross a lot by car, or are a frequent cruiser, I wouldn't bother with the card. The regular passport book can be used everywhere.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    WOW those fees are a lot higher than I remember paying for my last passport

Mine expires in May 2011...I know that there are some international travel restrictions 6 months before the expiration date (which is ). Do I need to renew before I go to Canada next month, or is it just for flying?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    WOW those fees are a lot higher than I remember paying for my last passport

Mine expires in May 2011...I know that there are some international travel restrictions 6 months before the expiration date (which is ). Do I need to renew before I go to Canada next month, or is it just for flying?
    You'll need the passport to get back in the U.S. They changed the rule in June 2009 to include all forms of transportation.

vCash

The card is intended for commuters and people who have to cross the border on a regular basis.

If you are going through the trouble of renewing I would get the book, then you won't have to worry about what you need when you travel.

I renewed my passport at the post office, they took the picture and everything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Different countries have different entry requirements for how close your passport can be to its expiration date, so it depends on Canada's restrictions.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    How does one find that info out? I looked on that site and couldn't find anything. Hmmm
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    travel.state.gov main site has all the info US citizens and perm residents need including the specific documents required for re-entry.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    that's where I was looking and I couldn't find it.

vCash
    Just click on International Travel, then select the country. You'll get a full page of info including the entry/exit requirements.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    ok thanks. I don't see anything about how many months prior to expiration the passport needs to be, only that it must be valid, but it looks like i'm in the window to get an expedited passport back in time.

vCash
    Thanks everyone. I think I will get a new book. Now I just have to get some good passport pics where I don't look like Gary Coleman's older brother!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    The post office where I applied for my renewal took my mug shot to go along with it for $15 bucks.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Now that almost everyone has a digital camera of some sort, you should take your own passport picture and then have it printed out at your local convenient store.

I will never have a passport picture taken from the like of WalMart or Target again. They looked like crap (well, it could be due to me, LOL) . For my current passport I took my own picture, and it came out 10x times better than what I paid for at Walmart/ Target.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Now that almost everyone has a digital camera of some sort, you should take your own passport picture and then have it printed out at your local convenient store.

I will never have a passport picture taken from the like of WalMart or Target again. They looked like crap (well, it could be due to me, LOL) . For my current passport I took my own picture, and it came out 10x times better than what I paid for at Walmart/ Target.
    What a great idea! Most passport pictures make the subject look like criminals.

An Iranian-born friend told me about travelling to France after losing 65 lbs. They looked at his passport picture and then at him and said "That's not you". Between the very bad passport picture and the weight loss, they concluded that this was his father's passport. He had enough ID to prove otherwise but still.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Thanks everyone. I think I will get a new book. Now I just have to get some good passport pics where I don't look like Gary Coleman's older brother!
    Just don't hide your neck a la Esther.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Just don't hide your neck a la Esther.
    Now, James....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast