Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    It sounds like your blades are exactly the right size for your boots.
    Each pair of skates is hand made individually, so you have to take the guidelines as just that--guidelines. Now go out and skate in them!

vCash
    Dear all,
    first, happy new year and then, thank you for your suggestions about my skates

I've tried them and a new world is now open for me. Al my doubles have come correctly and closed and the rotation is perfect now. I wouldn't have thought a thing like this before.

Actually, my first 15 minutes on ice have been a hell and I have thought I was wrong by choosing this kind of blades. But, after I took confidence with them, my spins started to come and I left away my fear of jumping with new blades.
    Now I'm satisfied because my rotation has become faster and, in my opinion, it depens on the way I pick the ice.
    Previoulsy, I used to pick the ice strongly and my leg was used to describe a big arc before picking the ice. Now, I need less power and less movement to pick the ice an jump and everything looks easier to me.

I'm not so convinced just about the lenght of my blades because it seems to me that I am less smooth on the ice and it is more difficult to make my blades go where I want. Previously, that was one of my peculiarity...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGlit View Post
    I'm not so convinced just about the lenght of my blades because it seems to me that I am less smooth on the ice and it is more difficult to make my blades go where I want. Previously, that was one of my peculiarity...
    Congratulations on the return of your jumps and spins! If you feel less smooth and like your blades aren't going where you want them to, it's possible that the mounting is a little off. Which edges feel difficult for you? Is it on both feet or only one foot? Depending on which edge feels difficult, you may have to move the blade slightly to the inside or outside.

vCash
    Thank you for your reply

Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe View Post
    If you feel less smooth and like your blades aren't going where you want them to, it's possible that the mounting is a little off.
    I have to say that, since the first second I have skated with my new blades, I felt that something was strange, crooked. I have 2 problems:

1. (easier to solve, I suppose) when I try to go straight on my left leg, my skate goes left. This behavior doesn't happen on my right skate. I went back to the shop and asked to check the blad line. He told me he has slightly modified the position of my left blade and gave me back my skates. Now, I still have to try them in this new configuration.

2. (very important) it is very very difficult to skate smoothly, it sounds like I have too much drag on my blades, in particular on the rear side, from the middle to the tail of the blade. I unused to think about where I put my skate and what my skate does, in order to avoid tugs or brake the ice strenght at the end of my blade, but now I feel that there is "something" pushing my skate out of the edge or the line I want the skate does. It is very difficult to manage my blades, in particular on the tail.

vCash
    Thank you for your reply

I have to say that, since the first second I have skated with my new blades, I felt that something was strange, crooked. I have 2 problems:

1. (easier to solve, I suppose) when I try to go straight on my left leg, my skate goes left. This behavior doesn't happen on my right skate. I went back to the shop and asked to check the blad line. He told me he has slightly modified the position of my left blade and gave me back my skates. Now, I still have to try them in this new configuration.

2. (very important) it is very very difficult to skate smoothly, it sounds like I have too much drag on my blades, in particular on the rear side, from the middle to the tail of the blade. I unused to think about where I put my skate and what my skate does, in order to avoid tugs or brake the ice strenght at the end of my blade, but now I feel that there is "something" pushing my skate out of the edge or the line I want the skate does. It is very difficult to manage my blades, in particular on the tail.
    It's possible that the Four Aces have a different rocker shape, so you need to adjust where your weight is on the blade when you skate. I recently switched from MK Gold Star (7' rocker) to Wilson Gold Seal (8' rocker) and the only thing that felt different was the back of the blade during regular stroking and crossovers. That's because the Gold Seal was flatter toward the back. Once I trained myself to put my weight farther back on the heel during back crossovers, everything started to feel normal and I had more glide than I'd ever had on my other blades.

vCash
    mumble mumble... I really don't know if Four Aces have a different rocker because if I read what it is written on the official website, these blades are very similar to Coronation Ace, but the straight cut, instead the cross-cut of Coronation Ace. If it is correct, the rocker should be 7, not 8.
    But, honestly, I don't know.

Anyway, I've tried again my blades after the adjustment for the left boot, and I feel like nothing has changed. I feel my left foot goes on the external edge even if I want it to stay straight on. this is a problem that I feel when I wear my left boot on or off the ice.
    Do you know if there is a method to check blades alignement?
    Thank you
    Last edited by HollyGlit; 01-04-2011 at 03:23 PM.

vCash
    Maybe the edges are not even (inside edge slightly shorter than the outside edge)? To check whether the edges are level, turn the boot upside down and balance a coin on the blade, it should be horizontal if the blades edges are equally ground or slanting if they aren't.

vCash
    Have you had the blades sharpened? Factory sharpenings are a myth - I had a sharpener show me how a brand-new pair of Gold Seals had high and low spots plus uneven edges. Since then, I get all blades sharpened by a good sharpener once we're sure the boot fits correctly.

vCash
    mumble mumble... I really don't know if Four Aces have a different rocker because if I read what it is written on the official website, these blades are very similar to Coronation Ace, but the straight cut, instead the cross-cut of Coronation Ace. If it is correct, the rocker should be 7, not 8.
    But, honestly, I don't know.

Anyway, I've tried again my blades after the adjustment for the left boot, and I feel like nothing has changed. I feel my left foot goes on the external edge even if I want it to stay straight on. this is a problem that I feel when I wear my left boot on or off the ice.
    Do you know if there is a method to check blades alignement?
    Thank you
    If your left foot keeps going onto an outside edge, your blade might be mounted too far toward the inside, or mounted on a bit of a diagonal (i.e., a little outside at the toe, but in the center or inside at the heel). This is what was wrong with my old skates when I didn't feel secure on my axel takeoff because my LFO edge curved too much. I got the blade straightened out and then landed axel after axel the next time I skated.
    Another thing you might try is looking at your regular shoes and seeing if the sole of your left shoe is more worn out toward the outside of the foot. If so, you may have a natural tendency to supinate (lean to the outside) and might need an orthotic inside your boot to compensate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12