Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Lightbulb MK Professional, Wilson Coronation Ace ore Wilson Four Aces? HELP, please!

Dear all,
    I'm a new entry

I'm dealing with an incredible challenge: I need a new pair of skates and... I can'd decide what it is better for me! :p

I would define my skating level as "intermediate": I can jump single axel, clean doubles salchow, rit, toe-loop and not so clean double lutz and double flip.

I would go in Risport RF2 standard (NOT Super, I'm thin and not so tall, so my teacher told me that RF2 Super could be really tough for me) but I can't decide for blades.

The shop assistant suggested me these 3 options:

1. MK Professional (220 euro)
    2. Wilson Coronation Ace (200 euro)
    3. Wilson Four Aces (240 euro)

Through a basic comparison I've tryed to do in these hours, the only difference I see is that MK Pro and Wilson Cor. Ace have got the cross-cut pick, whereas Wilson Four Aces has got the straight-cut pick.

Any other differences????

In your opinion, what could be the right choice for me?
    Thank you in advance for helping me to decide!

(My *very* old skates are Risport RF3 + MK Club 2000)

vCash
    MK Professional and Coronation Ace are pretty much the exact same blade. I don't know anything about the Four Aces.

I'm in MK Pros and they've been fine, but I'm only doing single jumps (no axel). From what I've seen, most kids in my area move up to MK Vision when they start doing doubles. What does your coach think?

vCash
    I've never heard of 4aces before but since they are dearer and don't have cross cut toe picks.But maybe your advisor knows something I don't.

I don't think ther is much different between the other two.

I would have been about your level when I stopped,maybe slightly lower, never had 2T. I'm only starting to land doubles aagin now. I'm in RF2 super and gold star but thats a huge jump from your old blades and more expensive.

Any of those blades are going to be very different from your old ones so will take a while to get used to but long term you will see a big differnce. Good Luck!

vCash

A little comparison

Hi! Thank you for your replies!!!

I came back to the shop this afternoon to take (another) look to the blades.

This is what I've seen and what I'd like to share with you.

So, lets' start

• TOE RAKE

MK Professional blade has got the smaller Toe Rake dimension respect to other two blades. It is slightly shorter than the JW Coronation Ace one and shorter enough than the JW Four Aces one.
    Sincerely, I don't know the meaning of having a shorter or longer Toe Rake dimension ... are you more skilled than me?!

• CUT PICK

MK Professional and JW Coronation Ace have got a cross-cut pick. JW Four Aces has got a straight Pick.
    I suppose that a cross-cut pick should help you in the toe-jumps, even if the shop assistant told that, practically, there is no difference.
    mumble mumble...

• FIRST UPPER TOOTH

MK Professional has got the most prominent tooth and has got an evident curve profile (like a bump) between the first Tooth and the point of attack to the Toe Plate. On the contrary, both JW blades have got a smoother profile (it is almost linear, not so bumped) and a less prominent First Tooth.

I think this is one of the main (and important?) feature/peculiarity of the blades but I don't know what it means. I suppose it is useful in the toe-jumps, but I'm not skilled enough to understand what is better or what is more useful for one person and for another one. Please, help me!

• DRAG PICK (LAST LOWER TOOTH)

What I've noted is that, generally, JW blades (both Coronation Ace and Four Aces) have got a Drag Pick more curved to the bottom. MK Professional, on the contrary, has got a Drag Pick more "plain".
    Obviously, I don't know anything about the usefulness of having a prominent drag pick or not... sorry

• SPIN ROCKER

This is a big grey cloud for me. MK Professional and JW Coronation Ace seem to have the same Spin Roker (7"), on the other hand, JW Four Aces seems to have a larger Spin Rocker (8") even if, on the official website, it is declared a Spin Rocker of 7.

• NOSE and TAIL of the BLADE

In general, I've noted that MK Professional has got the blade nose going to the top and a tail flatter (quite parallel to the ground).
    Both JW Coronation Ace ad Four Aces have got a flatter nose and a more curved tail that goes to the top.

So far, these are just my considerations based on what I've seen. I've bought my boots but the blades... not yet.
    I'd like to have a more clear overview on the *usefulness* of these blade peculiarities...

Could anyone help me, please?
    Thank you in advance

vCash
    It's really hard to make a recommendation even with all the information you've given, because so much of what makes a blade work or not work is up to the individual skater and how they feel with the blade.

There are skaters at my club who can do everything up to and including triples in Coronation Aces, FWIW. I don't mean this to be nasty, but at the level you're working at, I'm not sure that the differences in the blades you're describing are going to make that much difference to your skating. I agree with the other posters that you will be making an adjustment changing from the blades you have, but the new blades you are considering are more similar than different to each other.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Generally speaking as blades get more advanced, the toe pick gets bigger but I don't know the specifics of these particualr blades to comment on wether that really is the case. Cross cut toe picks are supposed to give better grip when you pick for a jump. I think the top toe pick is useful to toe jumps wheras the bottom one will be what you jump of for your edge jumps. I don't know how much difference you will notice by having slightly larger/smaller picks.

If the four aces are indeed an 8" rocker they will be flatter than the others. I believe your current blades are 7" rockers so you may want to avoid having to adjust to that since there aren't many other diffrences anyway.

As overedge says, it really is down to personnal choice. New blades always take time to adjust to and quite often result in tripping face first over the toe pick!

vCash
    I have skated in Coronation Ace for years and now use Coronation Dance. The blade has been perfectly suitable for my purposes.

I know of people who buy the most expensive blade because they think it is the best. But that is not necessarily true for what they actually need.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Both the Coronation Ace and MK Professional are highly recommended blades and they are pretty much the same (they are even made in the same factory). You can't go wrong with either one, so buy whichever one is cheaper or ships faster.

vCash
    Hi! Best Wishes!!!

Underneath my Christmas three, yesterday night, I found... a new pair of skates from my boyfriend!
    A wonderful pair of Risport RF2 + JW Four Aces!

But now, I have a question. I've just noted that the size of my boot is 245 and the size of my blade is 9 1/2.

I've checked on this website

http://www.skatetrix.ch/MK-Wilson-Bl...e-E_index.html

and noted that, if my sole is 245, the correct size of blades should be 9.1/4. Surfing o other websites, they told that the correct size would be 9.1/4 or 9.1/3.

9.1/2 would be for skate size 250.

What do you think about it? Should a keep my boots+blades as they are or I have to ask for a smaller size?
    Thank you in advance and merry christmas again!!!!
    bye bye!!!!!!

vCash
    Get a tape measure and measure from the very top to the bottom, that will tell you what size you need. Go for the biggest blade which won't over hang the edge. You can go up to a quater of an inch smaller but your blade can't be longer obviously.

I just bought RF2 in 255, same as my old ones and bought 9.5" blades, same as my old ones. The new blades and boots don't fit because the shape of the sole has changed since my last ones so they had to go back. That size chart you gave would have been correct for my new skates but there are ones out there definatley out of date. There are slight differences in boots though as they are hand made.

Enjoy!

ETA: if in doubt ask your caoch.
    Last edited by C_T_T_; 12-26-2010 at 05:34 PM.

vCash
    Just place the plate of the blade on the sole of the boot and see if it is too long or two short (as C_T_T has described).
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    ok, I have measured my boots and my blades.

Boots are exactly 245 mm
    Blades are exactly 243 mm (9.5)

CASE 1: then, if i get these blades, the distance between the end of the blade and the heel is 2 mm
    CASE 2: otherwise, if I get the other blades (9.25), the distance becomes 8.5 mm

according to the "ideal distance", the max distance should be 0.25 less, so, the ideal distance for my skates would be 238.5

in CASE 1, the distance is 243
    IDEAL DISTANCE is 238.5
    in CASE 2, the distance would be 236.5

so, I have to do, what??! I'd like to ask my couach, but she is away and it is very difficult to reach her via phone.

Help please!

vCash
    You mentioned the shop assistant in your first post. Can you phone the shop and ask them?

Personally, I would go for the blade that has less distance between the heel and the plate. Which if I understand correctly is the one you have.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I think the ideal distance is 0.25" or less so I would say the ones you have are the correct size. 2mm shorter than the boot is fine.

vCash
    Hi!
    here there are 2 pictures of my new skates!!!

You can see the heel and the end of my blade. Just 2 mm from the end of the blade and the end of the heel.
    If you say that it could be ok, I will be more relaxed.

In the end, on Risport website, I've found a Chart dedicated to Wilson Blades (Four Aces included) and Boots size.

http://www.risport.it/?IDsezione=22193

For boots 245, suggestions for blades are 9.1/4...

I'm so confused, I'd like to skate with my new skates, sob!!!

boot+blade=2mm

overview boots+blade

I hope these pictures help to help me!

vCash
    I'm not sure what more help you need, because I think everyone here has expressed the opinion that a 2 mm distance is fine. Can you not take the boots and blades to the shop you spoke to already, or to the shop where your boyfriend bought them, and ask the shop assistant's opinion?
    Or...go out on the ice and try them and see how they feel?

vCash
    I went to the shop yesterday evening and the shop assistant told me that it is crazy to mount a shorter blade. The blade has to be as closest as possible to the end of the heel...

even if this idea goes against the "1/4 less: ideal distance" rule...

this is why I am so confused...

vCash
    The shop assisstant is correct. The ideal distance you keep talking about is 1/4" or lessfrom the heel. You have the correct blades.

vCash
    As I told you on the other board, not all fitters use the 1/4" gap measurement. Some like to have the blades fit end-to-end or somewhere in between.

The 1/4" is the MAXIMUM gap that should be allowed; any more than that and the skate blade is too short.

If it's hanging over the sole at either end, the blade is too long.

Your blades sound like they're the right length.

vCash
    Okay mine are like that. It will not be a problem. Stop overanalysing it. Just get those blades on those boots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast