Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash

Paul Binnebose back on the ice

I'd wondered from time to time what ever had happened to Paul Binnebose after his massive head injury some years ago. Well here's the answer. He's skating, coaching, married, has a son. Just amazing. It was such a horrible injury, one of the worst in skating I think, and he's somehow managed not just to survive but to make a good life for himself. Huge kudos!

Link to article and video
    Skater Binnebose back on the ice, teaching after brain surgery
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...e-skater_N.htm

"After about two months worth of rehab and gaining weight, learning how to walk again, I finally stepped back on the ice," Binnebose said. "I was more steady on the ice than I was in my sneakers on the floor."

His competitive career was over. He continued to suffer facial paralysis and other effects of the injury. But he got back into skating, this time as teacher and coach.

vCash
    Thanks for the link to that article. It is hard to believe that already more than ten years have passed since this horrible accident. I remember it very well. I'm glad that Paul Binnebose recovered so well and also found happiness in his private life.

Fearless Musher
    vCash
    Woaw, time really flies ! I wrote an article about him years ago, it doesn't seem that far back though. And it actually is ! I'm SO happy for him he has managed to make such a nice life for himself and his family !
    "I missed the view and viewed the mist..." ©

vCash
    That's so good to know!

vCash
    That's great to hear about Paul. Before he moved to L.A., he coached at my rink for a while. He was great to share the ice with and all of his students loved him. I'm so glad he has the opportunity to coach - in addition to his skating expertise, there are many good lessons he can teach his students.

vCash
    That's great to hear. I expect that he is a wonderful coach.

vCash
    So great to hear that Paul is doing well, both as a coach and as a husband/father!

vCash
    It's great to see him.
    His students are fortunate to have him as their coach.

vCash
    Just saw this is USA Today. What terrible thing to happen and great recovery!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Thanks for the link. I'm also just that this was more than a decade ago.

And to showing the video
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Quadless
    vCash
    I love his motivation for being a coach. He seems like a great guy, and it's nice to see that he's been so successful in his life (professional and personal), despite the horrible accident.

I'm surprised to see him skating around without a helmet, though, since I could have sworn that in the first year after his accident he said that he'd never skate without a helmet again and questioned why it wasn't required, as it is in other sports. (Or am I imagining that?)
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    was that video of the actual crash? yikes I hate looking at those- I still cant watch the T/M one from skate america- so scary
    And we always think about the girl being the one who is 'brave' or more likley to get hurt- this is good reminder how dangerous pairs skating is for both partners
    Nice to see him doing well and enjoying the ice !

vCash
    Does anyone know his wife's maiden name? The article said she was on the ice when his accident happened, but I don't recognize her as any of the Lisas from that era. But then I also didn't know most of the skaters below senior, either.

I'm so thrilled that he's doing so well. I remember him always being the nicest guy, and it's great that his brain injury doesn't seem to have changed his personality.

vCash
    I'm so glad for him. That was an awful accident.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    was that video of the actual crash? yikes I hate looking at those- I still cant watch the T/M one from skate america- so scary
    And we always think about the girl being the one who is 'brave' or more likley to get hurt- this is good reminder how dangerous pairs skating is for both partners
    Nice to see him doing well and enjoying the ice !
    Yes it's the actual crash. But head injuries are so weird and random . . . T/M's fall was WAY worse that Paul's (IMO) from what the videos show and yet she could walk away in the end. Natasha Richardson fell on snow and dies the same day from a head injury. Go figure.

I had a really nasty fall on my head once, skull on the ice just like Paul's, and i was fine. But the lesson I've learned from that is to always always always go to the hospital to get checked out for internal injuries.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Thanks a lot for the article, that's really great to hear.

vCash
    Thank you for sharing alilou! I just had a conversation about Paul with a couple in my row at Skate Canada and was wondering how far his recovery had progressed. So glad to hear he’s doing well.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Great role model of determination and motivation.

vCash
    Thanks so much for posting the article and clip. Wonderful to see how he has come back and made such a fantastic life for himself.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I'm glad to read that his life is going well. Does anyone know what happened to his former pairs partner, Laura Handy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast