Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OMG!!!WHY?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I actually thought this recent performance was quite nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFfBj0qEzUc
    That was a little glimmer of hope. I really liked the footwork. I wish she had used Nichol for the LP too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I actually thought this recent performance was quite nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFfBj0qEzUc
    How were her jumps rotated in that SP?

vCash
    Fumie skated clean today in her SP at Japanese Nationals. She lies 5th. Good for her!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Fumie skated clean today in her SP at Japanese Nationals. She lies 5th. Good for her!

vCash
    What I don't understand is why people think they should retire just because they've been around for a few years.... To me it only gives the sport some stability. Why didn't people think that Shen and Zhou (sp) should keep skating when they are much older than Fumie and Kevin. As far as I'm concerned, if the want to keep competing and they can still relatively keep up, then go for it. If it's the total enjoyment of their sport that keeps them it, then more power to them...........these are all still very young fit people.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash

OMG!!!WHY?

WTH! - WHY NOT???

vCash
    Sigh. Just go and watch Fumie's Nats SP. That's why.

vCash

Talking I can feel how i want to feel as well...

So it’s clear that the sunshine crowd got all sensitive because of my post. OH WELL!!! Fine with me if a skater wants to continue to skate and compete past their prime but like any athlete in any other sport, you do nothing but kill your legacy and the way your fans remember you by doing so. True fans find it agonizing to watch their favorite skaters fail at what should have been an obviously insurmountable task. Fumie ended up placing 9th in the free skate and 7th overall at her own national championships. What more proof do you need? She technically does not have the technical arsenal to compete with the best in her own country much less in the world…unless her goal is now to be as mediocre as possible. I still personally think that she should move on. I know that plenty of you are going to reply with the super soft, cute and nicey nicey mumbo jumbo comment’s about feeling some sense of personal pride that she is still competing but be for real. She’s done! She should turn professional, explore the creative side of skating and start a family with your husband Fumie. The rest of the skaters from her era (except Júlia Sebestyén who should have been added to this list of skaters who should move on) have gotten the clue and moved on. She should as well. And before and of you asks who do I think that I am for saying what I say. I’M A FAN WITH A RIGHT TO AN OPINION and I choose to express it in this forum.

As for Kevin- the sport has moved on to reward skaters with the skills that he does not possess.

This is so not an A.Czisny example with these two skaters. I bring this up because I can just SEE one of you trying to make the comparison. Alissa has and has always had what it took technically to compete well and be proud of her accomplishment. Alissa just needed more time to learn how to display it in a competitive atmosphere. Had she moved on after 2010 it would have been so disappointing but understandable. It apparently came up which was why Brian Boitano urged her to stick in it until she gets it all figured out. Clearly we’re all glad that she did not move on ( I am anyway) and for the record I never thought that she should. On the contrary I thought that she would have been better off with a better coaching staff as I have seen the way that Theresa and Julie taught her while watching practices at the Detroit Skating Club. Czisny next year will probably be the one to beat as I believe that she will add 3/3 combos to her arsenal. Alissa is an example of a skater who was not competing well due to other indicators. Fumie definitely is no Czisny and Kevin is not to men’s skating what Alissa is to women’s skating.
    The responses should be good. If you choose to reply though, make sure that your post addresses the legacy of a skater who once was great ( or in kevins case… good) who ruins it by not realizing that they just cant do it. Just a request considering no one has in any of the pages of posts.

Thanks guys! Oh and lets be grown up about it…none of the name calling and rudeness that most of you resort too when people disagree with you.
    Last edited by arakwafan2006; 12-26-2010 at 03:58 PM. Reason: paragraph

vCash
    Here's some Valium just for you, arakwafan2006!

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/det...cleid=VP341IVD

Partial translation:

He says he's going to compete at Euros and Worlds this year and then retire, but he'll retire immediately if he wins the European Championship. He was the highest European finisher at Skate America (fifth) and says that if he had not made a few blunders, he could have finished higher.

"Actually, I have never skated as well as this season. It is also true that the level keeps rising year after year, so it is not always clear to the outside strong I come out of the corner."

"With 28 summers I'll be the doyen of the European Championships. I survived for many generations, but this season, I'm really pleased. "

At Euros, France brings two top competitors, and a Czech and an Italian are also favorites witht he bookmakers. But, I am also in contention, along with several others who are just below the top level.

Van der Perren spends four hours a day on the ice, six days a week. His training center is like a second home....

"I still like to train, otherwise you had better stop it immediately. Sunday is my weekly day of rest, unless I have an ice show to do. My wife (Northern Ireland's redheaded Jenna McCorkel) and I both now focus entirely on the European Championships. Jenna, like me, will at least make the top ten."

"[My brother] Gunther has offered me a part-time job as a building contractor when I retire from skating. Maybe I will do it. I want to continue to work on the ice, but rather do so half-time and therefore in conjunction with another job."

But he leaves the door ajar.

"I'd love to say goodbye at a climax. If I would go off like a watering can at the World Cup, I might change my plans and I still knit an extension to my career.... "
    Last edited by Squibble; 12-26-2010 at 09:15 PM.

vCash
    I admire Fumie for not giving up her own dream, no matter how many people "advise" her to give up, or even criticize her when it is none of their business.

It is very, very lucky if you can find something you love that much.

Besides, her SP yesterday was wonderful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    Here's some Valium just for you, arakwafan2006!

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/article/det...cleid=VP341IVD

Partial translation:
    Thanks Squibble!
    See!Even Kevin himself agrees with me.

vCash
    And before and of you asks who do I think that I am for saying what I say. I’M A FAN WITH A RIGHT TO AN OPINION and I choose to express it in this forum.
    While you made valid points in the first four sentences (of the post that I'm partially quoting)...... so does everyone else; fans with a right to an opinion expressed on the forum. TBH, you sound sensitive because other people don't agree with you.

vCash
    If they have the resources (financially, physically, support) to continue, they should. Once they stop there is no restart, that chapter will be forever closed. If they are doing well enough for their countries to send them to international competitions, then so be it. I would like to enjoy them while they are still skating, for they will be soon replaced by a younger generation of upcomers.

vCash
    Kevin can keep skating for as long as he enjoys it, I'm happy for him, I'll just do something else while his programs are on, because I can't stand his stiff, slow style, great jumper or not...

...BUT...

if he wins Euros....that's somthing I can't take I'll find a big, dark hole and bury myself!!!

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Thread Title: OMG!!!WHY?

Wouldn't it be awesome if threads had titles that described the subject being discussed in the thread. Although, I suppose it is not really a title if it does not describe the subject, unless this is a prayer thread (Oh my G*d, why?) that was hijacked by a discussion of veteran skaters.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 12-26-2010 at 09:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by midori View Post
    I admire Fumie for not giving up her own dream, no matter how many people "advise" her to give up, or even criticize her when it is none of their business.
    What is "no one's business?"

In that case, no one here at FSU or any other forum should have anything to say about any skater's skating.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    OMG!!!WHY?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    In that case, no one here at FSU or any other forum should have anything to say about any skater's skating.
    OMG!!!WHY?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    OMG!!!WHY?
    OMG!!!!BECUZ!!!!
    It's no one's business.

vCash
    Well, what is her dream ? I thought she just loves to skate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Well, what is her dream ? I thought she just loves to skate.
    To be the oldest senior lady competing at a National Championship ever. She's on her way to accomplishing that goal .

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast