Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OMG!!!WHY?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    KVDP is still quite strong.
    Agreed. I really don't get how KVDP is past his prime. He landed a 4-3-3 combo at the 2010 World Championships. If anything is holding him back, it's his presentation in my opinion.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I've seen competitors of other sports hang in there for years because they love the sport and only retired because of a physical condition. Larry Byrd played for the Boston Celtics from 1978 until 1992 when he only retired because of back problems.

If Fumie and Kevin are able to compete, then they should until they get ready to retire. They love the sport and there's nothing wrong with it. Period.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Agreed. I really don't get how KVDP is past his prime. He landed a 4-3-3 combo at the 2010 World Championships. If anything is holding him back, it's his presentation in my opinion.
    It doesn't matter that KVP can land 4-3-3 until the cows come home. He's not moving up the rankings and is being beaten soundly by the up and comers, because he never bothered to work on his non-jump elements like spins, speed, flow, edging, footwork, musicality, etc. I thought he was very charismatic when I saw him live during practices at the 2003 World, but his skating had stayed at exactly one level since then.

I thought Kevin had trouble finding funding even when he was seen as inching toward the top of the European men skating. I can't imagine it's much easier for him now to finance his skating.

vCash
    When one says Fumie is past her prime............when was her prime? Doesn't she skate about like she always did. Don't get me wrong....I don't mean that as a dig, but has she lost skills?

I wonder what goals she has? What motivates her. What is she reaching for?
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    I think it is interesting that an Arakawa fan would initiate this topic. Shizuka was considered over-the-hill by many, but managed to come back and win World and Olympic gold after many lackluster seasons.

According the commentators Van der Perrin was asked by his federation to compete this season.

Suguri, I believe has a college degree, so she must be skating because she wants to, not because she can't do anything else.

As everyone else pointed out, they qualified to compete, so why should they quit if they don't want to?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    When one says Fumie is past her prime............when was her prime? Doesn't she skate about like she always did. .....?
    No, she does not, sorry to say. Her prime was Dec 2003 - Grand-Prix Final in Colorado Springs. Technical expectations and method of grading (COP) have changed since then. Even if she skates the same wonderful LP that won her the Gold Medal in Colo Springs, she would be downgraded and not receive the points that make-up a winning program under the COP system.

As for Fumie "skating because she wants to," I can only surmise that she has wealthy parents (or corporate sponsor or boyfriend or other backer?) bankrolling her. I have a "deep love" for a hobby but could never afford to quit my day-job to live full-time in my hobby. So that brings us to the question of why Fumie continues to appear in G-P events? Two possible answers:

1. In Dec. 2009, she skated strongly enough in the Japan Nationals to be on Japan's "A List" for G-P assignments

or...

2. Perhaps Fumie's benefactor(s) make nice contributions to the Japan Federation, to get her on the "A List" of assignments.

I am, of course, guessing that the correct answer is #1...that she earned her way to two G-P assignments this season. If that's the case, then let's leave her alone. She'll sink or swim.
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 12-22-2010 at 06:01 PM.

vCash
    No, she does not, sorry to say. Her prime was Dec 2003 - Grand-Prix Final in Colorado Springs. Technical expectations and method of grading (COP) have changed since then. Even if she skates the same wonderful LP that won her the Gold Medal in Colo Springs, she would be downgraded and not receive the points that make-up a winning program under the COP system.
    This was the last time Fumie was her best, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX21Vo5LTKE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    It doesn't matter that KVP can land 4-3-3 until the cows come home. He's not moving up the rankings and is being beaten soundly by the up and comers, because he never bothered to work on his non-jump elements like spins, speed, flow, edging, footwork, musicality, etc. I thought he was very charismatic when I saw him live during practices at the 2003 World, but his skating had stayed at exactly one level since then.

I thought Kevin had trouble finding funding even when he was seen as inching toward the top of the European men skating. I can't imagine it's much easier for him now to finance his skating.
    It's not really that he "hasn't bothered to work on his non-jump elements". He's spoken about this in interviews, and said that the realities of his funding situation have meant that he doesn't usually have money to work with choreographers to the extent he needs to; and that he can't necessarily afford to get the coaching he'd need in order to be able to improve certain things such as some of those you'd mentioned. To me, from what I've read, it doesn't seem that he doesn't want to improve those things; but that he's got some roadblocks that he can't get past re: those things, and can't afford the help he'd need to do so.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Thanks for the link. I had forgotten that performance. I think my favorite performance of Fumie's was 2001 Goodwill Games in Australia. I believe she skated to Ave Maria, and Moonlight Sonata. She was so light and graceful on the ice. Not great line, but soft, soft knees.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by El Rey View Post
    This was the last time Fumie was her best, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX21Vo5LTKE
    I went back and watched that performance and it was great. I do, however, think that it doesn't matter when her last great performance was. In the natural order of things, younger skaters will come up and beat her and if they don't, that's their fault, not her's for competing too long. If Fumie ends up in the bottom of every competition, but still wants to go out there and skate, why does it matter that she's past her prime? Obviously there are a lot of skaters out there that are not going to win competitions. Should every OES skater and the hundreds of skaters who never make it past regionals and sectionals in the US just retire? If KVDP and Fumie want to skate until they are 50, I say God bless them.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    It is really kind of sad, because there is no where for them to go. Used to be they could retire from OES and have a great professional career. Kind of a bummer.

vCash
    As for Fumie "skating because she wants to," I can only surmise that she has wealthy parents (or corporate sponsor or boyfriend or other backer?) bankrolling her. I have a "deep love" for a hobby but could never afford to quit my day-job to live full-time in my hobby. So that brings us to the question of why Fumie continues to appear in G-P events?
    I sort of wonder about Fumie's monetary background. She's competed in 31 GP events!

I actually like her (for the most part), so I would be kind of sad if she retired (and, as others have said, it's not up to the fans to tell the skater to retire). But that's expensive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    It is really kind of sad, because there is no where for them to go. Used to be they could retire from OES and have a great professional career. Kind of a bummer.
    Really? What professional opportunities do you think would have been available to van der Perren ~15 years ago (or whenever you're thinking of) that aren't available to him now?

There was a brief period when a likeable female skater from outside the US who had a couple of bronze and silver world medals to her name could have gotten invited to a few US-based professional competitions a year with fairly good prize money or appearance fees. That never proved to be a long-term career option for anyone, though.

If the skater were really popular and charismatic, a long-term contract with a US-based tour might have been possible. But without a gold medal, US nationality, or strong enough performing personality or other gimmicks to develop a fan base among the American general public, opportunities for a skater would have been comparatively limited.

What are money-making skating-related opportunities like in Japan these days? Does Arakawa earn more than Suguri, for example, not because she has an Olympic medal but because she's "professional"?

vCash
    Aren't ice shows still popular in Europe? I think there are still touring companies of Holiday On Ice touring throughout Europe.

vCash
    Skaters (of all ages) should compete because THEY want to.

vCash
    If anything is holding him back, it's his presentation in my opinion.
    His presentation hasn't improved at all, unfortunately, in about a decade of eligible skating.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post

THIS.

vCash
    I actually thought this recent performance was quite nice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFfBj0qEzUc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker View Post
    Skaters (of all ages) should compete because THEY want to.
    I agree.

vCash
    We need those older skaters. If they retired who would we poke fun at?
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    I went back and watched that performance and it was great. I do, however, think that it doesn't matter when her last great performance was. In the natural order of things, younger skaters will come up and beat her and if they don't, that's their fault, not her's for competing too long. If Fumie ends up in the bottom of every competition, but still wants to go out there and skate, why does it matter that she's past her prime? Obviously there are a lot of skaters out there that are not going to win competitions. Should every OES skater and the hundreds of skaters who never make it past regionals and sectionals in the US just retire? If KVDP and Fumie want to skate until they are 50, I say God bless them.
    I agree, someone has to be last, otherwise the worlds and Olympics would only have the top 5 skaters.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast