Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OMG!!!WHY?

vCash

OMG!!!WHY?

So I wanted to start a thread about skaters that you see their names or watch them skate and wonder one of a few things;Why are you still competing? Why are you doing this to yourself? Why won’t you retire?

Here are two names that come to mind. Kevin Van Der Perren and Fumie Suguri.

Fumie really is so past her prime. She had her best showing in Torino and it was not enough then to place her on the podium. Plus, i cannot recall her actually attempting a 3/3 combination much less landing one.

Kevin was the man to watch when he first arrived on the scene and worked with Morozov but now its clear that even if he did do the jumps, this new system almost seems like it was designed with the idea of rewarding skaters who were his polar opposite. His skating skills actually look worse and his jumps are alluding him constantly.

I'd like to hear what you guys think...

vCash
    What a subject line for such a topic.

Really, unless we're shelling out big bucks to support their training and not getting our money's worth in results, why should we care how long a skater continues to compete?

vCash
    God forbid people do something they love doing for many years.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    I agree that Suguri and Van Der Perren are well past their prime, but who are we to force them to stop? If they love to skate, good for them. I will continue to watch.

vCash
    It must be a very hard decision to stop skating, for most of those skaters, it's all they know. They already put in between 10-15 years if not more. Maybe they have more to prove to themselves and I don't think it's up to 'fans' to decide their fate just because 'some fans' are tired of seeing some skaters. Or want to see some skaters win and they can't because the field is too deep.

vCash

vCash
    One that I thought should have ended sooner was Jennifer Robinson, but Skate Canada apparently convinced her to stick around because there were no ladies in contention. Same with Elvis Stojko who should

But I also agree that it's hard to give up something that's been your life for years, if not decades, especially if it's not just a 'job' but something you love as well.

vCash
    I adore Kevin. I hope he'll continue as long as he wants to and as long as he still loves the sport!

vCash
    Maybe we can ask ourselves why don't these skaters retire but the answer is quite obvious : they stay because they want/like to compete. And it itself that's the best reason to stay.

I believe there is no need to be getting lower and lower in the rankings to wonder wether it's time to retire. Some skaters appear to be close to the top, still show an impossibility to win. Some others are on top but don't feel like competing again and choose to do shows instead.

It's not all about winning.

For those who stay but appear to have passed their prime, it must be that there is something else in their motivation that keeps them doing competitions. And as long as they get spots it means that they are still at the right level even if they are not at their personal best.
    Some reasons to continue might be because the national skating organisation have asked them to do so, giving them financiel help, or because they just love competing, or because they manage to combine competitor life with professional or student life...

What bothers me more is when I see skaters looking like they really force themselves to compete when it looks like they really don't like being out there competing. To me it appears like they want to prove something that doesn't belong to them, like pleasing people, showing their national federation they are still worthy... Here is when I ask what's the point of doing something that not only doesn't work in term of results but also doesn't bring any satisfaction to the skater.

Overall no one has the right to say to someone he should stop competing, except if the skater asks you the specific question. It's a matter of respect.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Artifice View Post
    Exactly.

vCash
    WHY? Because they love skating
    I wish Fumie/Kevin and everyone else lots of happines and joy on and off the ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artifice View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Pavla2304 View Post
    WHY? Because they love skating
    I wish Fumie/Kevin and everyone else lots of happiness and joy on and off the ice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    I agree that Suguri and Van Der Perren are well past their prime, but who are we to force them to stop? If they love to skate, good for them. I will continue to watch.
    I agree with you, but judges can send them a message to stop, and I have the feeling they already sent them one ! lol

vCash
    If it's the case, as with Kevin van der Perren, that he's still one of the top skaters in his home country and in the world, then why not keep skating if he wants to and can get the funding to do so? He won his national championships this year, and he won the bronze at Europeans in 2009 - not ancient history. He also placed top 10 at the last World Championships, nearly matching his career high placement there - and this was a comp in which he landed a quad toe loop-triple toe loop-triple toe loop combo; which had never been done before in competition by anyone.

Has *this* season been his best? No. But he still wins his nationals, and he placed top 10 at the last Worlds. So while he may be past *his* prime, he's still better than the majority of male skaters out there. Many skaters would love to have such results. So if the man doesn't want to retire, so be it. And if he does want to retire, he should look back and be quite happy with what he's been able to do with his career.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Well, regardless of whether or not if it is their right to skate is not the issue here. I don't see anything wrong with arakawafan2006 asking about it. And I don't think it's a dull topic. Kevin and Fumie certainly do have the right to skate until they are 50 years old. After all, it worked for Julia Sebestyen .

Personally, I think both of them SHOULD retire. Neither one of them are interesting to watch any longer and the younger skaters are nipping at their heels and their skating IMO isn't exactly COP-friendly. YMMV.

But I also agree that it is totally their choice to remain eligible if their respective federations are supportive of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    God forbid people do something they love doing for many years.
    Amen!
    No one should ever be "forced" to retire.

You don't have to follow/watch them if you feel that way.

vCash
    If the skaters we think are past their prime, which is anyway, continue to be in the top contenders of the world/their nation then why should we push them into retirement. Family members might be consulted, but not the fans regarding retirement.

vCash
    They may be past their prime, but they're still among the elite skaters in the world.

vCash
    Having some older skaters in the singles' ranks could potentially make things more interesting...the youth movement is rather strong in that discipline. Pairs and ice dance - you can stick around a while longer and no one raises an eyebrow. And I guess there are a thousand and one reasons for this.

vCash
    KVDP is still quite strong. No qualms there.

In general terms, Fumie and others who might be "past their prime" have a right to appear in major ISU events if they are named by their federations. In most cases, this is linked to rankings in that country's prior Nationals...so if we see too much of Fumie, for example, we have only the Japanese Federation to blame. If Fumie fails to make 'top 10' at Japanese Nationals next week but is still named to next season's Grand Prix events, then that would be bad.

Nowadays, to be an 'amateur' is to be a 'pro' so it's not as if there is a life in 'pro skating' after an Olympics (with the exception of making 'tenure' in a show like SOI). They have to make a living and can do so if they maintain their techniques.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast