vCash

Przemyslaw Domanski puts his competitive career on hold

In his own words:

Unfortunately, as the song goes: "you've got to know when to leave the stage - unbeatable," I've decided to put my competitive career on hold after Universiade (if I am chosen to compete). I will return if I manage to land a triple axel or a quad.

It wasn't an easy decision but I thought that if I'm not able to improve my international results, there is no point in blocking younger skaters, who still have a future ahead of them. They also need competitive opportunities, at the highest level, to gain valuable experience so that a Polish skater can take part in the Olympic Games again.
    He's a real class act.

I am very sad but I totally understand his decision.

He had a great career, peaking at 17th at Euros and 23rd at Worlds and managed to compete at 2010 Olympics.

It might not seem like much at all but if you had seen his performances several years back, he had weird, tilted jumps, landed in bizarre positions.

Him and his coach worked extremely hard and managed to improve his technique significantly. His position in the air became much better, the jumps got higher and more secure and he started quite consistently landing triple-triple combinations, including 3lutz/3loop which is very rarely seen in skating.

And whilst he never had great basics, he always showed well choreographed programs.

From being a skater, nobody really thought much would come out of, he became the most successful Polish skater since Grzegorz Filipowski.

He realised that he wouldn't be able to achieve more than what he already did without a 3axel or a quad, so he decided to give others a chance. And to leave when he's on top of his ability.

And he left in great style. At 3 Nationals 2011, he skated an unbelievably entertaining, well sold FS (and a clean SP too) and achieved his new unofficial personal best. I've never seen him sell a program like this before. We were in hysterics.

He left an amazing final impression (the clip will appear on FSVids, watch it!).

I cried, his coach cried, it was the best farewell you could hope for.

He has a lot to move on to. He has his own internet skating shop, he coaches quite a lot and is now going to focus on shows for a while.

Skating in shows means he's going to continue practising and if he makes progress on 3a, he's going to return to competition.

I remember making a banner for Przemek with Monika on the landing of the building where our hostel was in, during 2004 Europeans. We've never seen him skate before, but we were really pissed off with him being chosen to the harder qualifying group and therefore not making it to the SP, when he would have done so easily in the other one, and we wanted to cheer him up.

And starting from there, we ended up getting to really like him both as a skater and as an awesome bloke.

That banner ended up following him since then. He signed it during 3 Nationals and gave me one of the biggest "Awwwwwwwwwwwww!" moments ever when he told us he had really appreciated having seen it at all those different competitions through the years.

I'm getting really teary-eyed now so I'll stop.

(Oh and what it means in practical terms for the rest of this season is that he has given up his 2011 Euros spot, that he was entitled to as a National Champion, and that is being handed over to Maciej Cieplucha who was 2nd. Provided he is selected by the federation, he's going to compete at 2011 Universiade as his last competition - at least for now.)

vCash
    All the best to Przemyslaw!
    Announcers all over the world sighed with relief when hearing the news: One name less to butcher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    All the best to Przemyslaw!
    Announcers all over the world sighed with relief when hearing the news: One name less to butcher.

I wish him all the best also. His statement is very classy, I hope he gets a spot at Universiade and .

vCash
    Yes, but on the other hand there's Maciej Cieplucha

Reading all this makes me feel a bit nostalgic, I can hardly imagine Polish skating competitions without him - back in the times when I started attendind national events he was there and rocking, now it's gonna feel very strange without him

Anyway, I see how he works both with little kids and adults and judged by that I think he's likely to be a very good coach.

vCash
    Domanski's FS is now up on FSVids. I really recommend it, he totally kicked ass!

Quote Originally Posted by gosia.douceur View Post
    Yes, but on the other hand there's Maciej Cieplucha
    I've heard so many different pronunciations of that name, it's an endless source of joy.

Reading all this makes me feel a bit nostalgic, I can hardly imagine Polish skating competitions without him - back in the times when I started attendind national events he was there and rocking, now it's gonna feel very strange without him
    Yeah, it'll never be the same.

Anyway, I see how he works both with little kids and adults and judged by that I think he's likely to be a very good coach.
    Domanski is very intelligent. And very calm and composed. I'm sure he's going to make an excellent coach because he not only has the technical knowledge but is also able to think critically about how to apply it.

The above was also a perfect set-up for an athlete. If only he had a decent coach right from the beginning...

Still, he has made the best of the situation he has had and improved beyond what people thought he could do.

I'm sure he's going to be an excellent coach
    Last edited by Ziggy; 12-21-2010 at 12:34 AM.

vCash
    Oh, no more blade in the eye poking?

Best to Domanski and thanks for his skating

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    to Domanski, but , too.

I wish him the best of luck in his business, and his students are lucky people.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I am really sorry to hear that. I always had a soft spot for him after I saw him at Nebelhorn 2007 and cheered for him at Euros in Warsaw when he made the LP. and for him.

vCash
    Thanks for the Przemyslaw news, Ziggy! He really seems to be a classy guy, all the best for him!

vCash
    thank you for the great read Ziggy!

and all the best to Przemyslaw, hope he has a great show-career, and is sucessfull in every path he follows, best of luck

it's not easy being a skater from a small federation, with limited resources and money, kudos to him for training hard and making the best out of it, he achieved great results!

Ziggy, whenever you see him, greet him from Norway, will you?

vCash
    Domanski's amazing, personal best farewell Free Skate performance from 3 Nationals 2011 in on YouTube now and you can watch it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcwEaroCJ1g

Such a fun routine.

The SP (clean but a little cautious) is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P5V42mO89E

vCash
    One name less to butcher.
    Oh, but just wait until the Ice Dance team of Mxyzptlk and Kltpzyxm make their debut, they are out of this world!