Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Well, Shizuka, obviously. I love her/that victory because she is a brilliant example of pure, all-round skating, with clean lines, deep edges, big jumps and regal posture; and that night, there
    Agree about Shizuka . Though, for obvious reason, I would not mind Irina winning that and getting the 4th GM to Russia

Comansnala?
    vCash
    All warm and fuzzy about:

- Ilia 1998 and Yags 2002
    Truly magical, majestic performances, just like made for the history book of figure skating!
    (... unfortunately Men's Olympic skating went almost completely downwards from then on ...)

- Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze 2002
    Now more than ever!

- Shen & Zhao 2010
    Not as brilliant like they've been 2003 and 2004, but an undoubted, deserved victory; and what an fantastic exclamation mark at the end of a long, exceptional skating career!

Honourable mentions to Urmanov and Ilia (again) for preventing Stojko to become ...

vCash
    The wins I found most satisfying involved skaters I had been interested in for several years and liked a lot (while Gordeeva & Grinkov in 1988 skated great, I hadn't particularly liked them before 1988), who delivered good performances (not backed into a championship (example Scott Hamilton, whom I liked, but who just didn't skate that well when he won) ), and where there was no controversy about the results to spoil the feeling (I liked both B&S and S&P, but the controversy spoiled the satisfied feeling) . If the win was not a coronation, and even more if I believed the winner was the underdog, it was even more satisfying (Boitano, Arikawa).

Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao 2010
    Shizuka Arikawa 2006
    Alexei Yagudin 2002
    Klimova & Ponomarenko 1992
    Natalia Mishketunok & Artur Dmitriev 1992
    Brian Boitano 1988
    Jayne Torvill & Christopnher Dean 1984
    Dorothy Hamill 1976
    Lyudmila Pakhomova & Alexandr Gorshkov 1976

cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Totmianina/Marinin
    Plushenko
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Ilia Kulik
    Tara Lipinski
    Yagudin

Vacant
    vCash
    Lots already mentioned such as T&D, Robin Cousins, (I remember being allowed to stay up and watch with my Mum and being so excited that he won, although as an adult I think Hoffmann probably earned it on the night.) Loved Boitano's win in '88 although I was heartbroken for Orser, G&G in '88, Kulik, Yags, S&Z etc. Shizuka was THE highlight of '06 as well.

Looking back though, the one that really satisfies me even now is John Curry in 1976 because it really wasn't supposed to happen. He finally got his act together in terms of consistency on the triples, but if it wasn't for the Czech judge going against the eastern bloc at Europeans and thus swinging that victory for John 5-4 over Vladimir Kovalev, he would probably never have won in Innsbruck no matter how he skated. Now that is a SKARY thought!!!

vCash
    other results (silver/bronze) that I loved:

Paul Wylie - 1992
    Midori Ito - 1992
    Shen & Zhao - 2006 (that bronze medal was a "golden" achievement for them, considering Hongbo's injury that season).
    Pang & Tong - 2010
    Joannie Rochette - 2010
    Tanith & Ben - 2006 (should have been on this year's Olympic podium too)
    Meryl & Charlie - 2010

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokko! View Post
    All warm and fuzzy about:

- Ilia 1998 and Yags 2002
    Truly magical, majestic performances, just like made for the history book of figure skating!
    (... unfortunately Men's Olympic skating went almost completely downwards from then on ...)

- Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze 2002
    Now more than ever!

- Shen & Zhao 2010
    Not as brilliant like they've been 2003 and 2004, but an undoubted, deserved victory; and what an fantastic exclamation mark at the end of a long, exceptional skating career!

Honourable mentions to Urmanov and Ilia (again) for preventing Stojko to become ...
    ITA on all your choices!!! Especially your dig at Stojko. If only Sale/Pelletier had not been allowed to win gold too.

Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Not a gold, but the most satisfying Olympics achievement for me was Joannie Rochette's bronze
    Yes! I have probably never wished for a skater as hard as I wished for her to do well. The camera shot at her face looking at Manon prior to the Olympic SP and struggling to hold back tears at the cruel fate that she was dealt with at the biggest sporting moment of her career and her amazing poise to deliver such an outstanding performance as she did caused me to burst into tears and that vision has stuck with me to this day. It's what the Olympic spirit is truly all about!
    Last edited by museksk8r; 12-22-2010 at 02:33 PM.

vCash
    Yagudin 2002

Shen % Zhao 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokko! View Post

- Shen & Zhao 2010
    That's what I think either.

If Kwan had won in 1998, I would write also her name, but she didn't. Of course Tara was gorgeous too, but Michelle is Michelle- she always was touching me more than other skaters

vCash
    Ilia Kulik
    Gordeeva & Grinkov
    Anissina & Peizerat
    Virtue & Moir
    Yu-Na Kim
    Oksana Baiul
    Shen & Zhao

and honorable mention: Stephane Lambiel's silver!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Yagudin, Shen and Zhao, and Kristi Yamaguchi are the only ones to come to mind because usually the person I want to win gets second or third.
    There's possibility we have the same favorites, because mine usually don't win either.

vCash
    Yagudin 2002
    Plushenko 2006
    Shen/Zhao 2010

vCash
    Having only really lived through the 2010 Olympics so far, I can say I actually felt more satisfaction for each win in retrospect, because on the day I was distracted by what was going on below. In fact, I'm another one who was more satisfied for Pang & Tong then for Shen & Zhao, because they skated so perfectly and the odds had been so much against them. Also when Evan won, my first reaction was merely intense relief that Plushenko had not, though I was very satisfied for Frank. Then Plushenko started his ranting, and I found myself getting deeply satisfied that it was Evan who had beaten him, because he'd just strolled in expecting it while Evan had worked the hardest.

Banned Member
    vCash

vCash
    I am pleasantly surprised at the number of people who said Shizuka Arawaka. She is my pick too, and my all-time favorite Olympic performance by a woman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Lots already mentioned such as T&D, Robin Cousins, (I remember being allowed to stay up and watch with my Mum and being so excited that he won, although as an adult I think Hoffmann probably earned it on the night.) Loved Boitano's win in '88 although I was heartbroken for Orser, G&G in '88, Kulik, Yags, S&Z etc. Shizuka was THE highlight of '06 as well.

Looking back though, the one that really satisfies me even now is John Curry in 1976 because it really wasn't supposed to happen. He finally got his act together in terms of consistency on the triples, but if it wasn't for the Czech judge going against the eastern bloc at Europeans and thus swinging that victory for John 5-4 over Vladimir Kovalev, he would probably never have won in Innsbruck no matter how he skated. Now that is a SKARY thought!!!
    Ibdeed!
    Doris, I like your list, as well.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MissIzzy View Post
    . . . while Evan had worked the hardest.
    Had he really though? Did any of us personally take time with Evgeni or Evan or anyone else to really gauge who worked the hardest during their training and preparation? From a non-skater's perspective, I would have to think coming back from a 3.5 year absence from Olympic eligible competition was a tougher endeavor that Plushenko was trying to undertake. He had not done some of his jumps in years and pretty much had to relearn them/get readjusted to them. Plus, Plushy had to get into Olympic shape/fitness losing weight and trying to regain his muscle memory while Lysacek was already in peak condition coming into the season as reigning World champ. Evgeni was attempting the quad in every event while Lysacek made the decision only to attempt it at Nationals, which did not come off successfully. Seems to me like Plushy had the higher mountain to climb . . . just my perspective though.

vCash
    If Plushy and his coach had really tried to adapt his programs to COP then I think he would have been seen as working as hard as Evan, but it felt like Plush was willing to rest of what he was capable of pre-cop and that was that. Whereas Evan and his team really analyzed his points after each competition and made the necessary tweaks as the season progressed.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    For me, complete satisfaction were John Curry, Ilia Kulik, Torvill/Dean, Klimova/Ponomarenko, and Gordeeva/Grinkov, personal favorites who skated the lights out and whom no one could have outskated. (Orser could have and might have outskated Boitano, but the latter didn't register at the time.)

I was ecstatic that Arakawa won, because for me, Arakawa is the finest Ladies skater (although not competitor) of the Triples Era, but it was one of those "You can't take it away from [her]" victories, after the that she was a default champion who only won because others failed and was too conservative by not attempting the 3/3's she landed in practice.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Seems to me like Plushy had the higher mountain to climb . . . just my perspective though.
    Oh he definitely had more work to do to come back (and should be immensely proud of how well he did). I'm not a Plushenko fan but I'm the first to admit that it was a tremendous achievement (I'm more impressed that he was doing real sitspins after the barely kneeling spins of 2006).

On the other hand .... it's not so much about working hard as working smart. Plushenko seemed to channel his tremendous willpower and unquestioned tecnical brilliance to do the program .... that he felt like doing without taking the finer details of CoP in account. (This is in addition to the fact that he had, for him, an off night and his jumps were weaker than they had been all season. It's amazing that he could land them but when the air position is that bad there's no way the judges can dump a lot of points on you).

Lysacek had the better strategy of working with (instead of against) the CoP system to maximize his strengths (which included being younger and having more endurance than Plushenko) and minimize his weaknesses (no quad, which is in fact not a required element).

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast