Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Dorothy's 76

Boitano's 88

Kristi's 92

Evan's 2010
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Yagudin, Shen and Zhao, and Kristi Yamaguchi are the only ones to come to mind because usually the person I want to win gets second or third.

I was glad for some of the other winners mentioned here, like Yuna, but I kind always felt like she would win, so I didn't feel as satisfied as for the others. I felt like Midori Ito was going to win going in to the 1992 Olympics and I would have also been very satisfied for her.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Yuna Kim.

Least satisfying was Yamaguchi, because that meant she would not stay on until '94 and likely win, which would likely mean that Baiul would have never have come to Miami in a panty girdle.

I don't care for Evan much, but I did enjoy his performances and win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    The judges, the media, his coach, his wife .....

Anyhow, gold in 2006 and silver in 2010 - respect!
    Ooops, it was platinum, sorry
    Platinum yes, Silver was in 2002.

vCash

4 disciplines

Ladies- Shizuka ( This past oly's was dissapointing as i wanted Mao to win)
    Men's-Plushenko-( todd Eldridge had to be the most dissapointing man to never win.)
    Pairs- Shen/Zhao
    Dance-Grishuk/Platov in 98. Most dissapointing to never win was Marie-France and Patrice.

Final Answer.

vCash
    Sarah Hughes, 2002.

Flame me if you want, but she did what every athlete wants to do: give the performance of her life on her sport's biggest stage.

Yagudin, Hamill, and Torvill & Dean would be runnersup for much the same reasons, but none of them found themselves in the seemingly impossible position Hughes did when she stepped onto the ice at the start of her Long Program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    Sarah Hughes, 2002.

Flame me if you want, but she did what every athlete wants to do: give the performance of her life on her sport's biggest stage.

vCash
    Tara Lipinski. She skated with so much joy and exuberance, that it really lifted me up (and still does whenever I watch that LP.)
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    In Plushy's defense though, IF he really did think he was unstoppable, it was because the judges only reinforced that line of thinking in his head. He was way overmarked in PCS and should have been defeated by Lambiel's brilliant LP skate at Europeans, but no, the judging panel marked Evgeni's LP as the best when they very easily and justifiably could have placed him 2nd in the LP and sent him a message to work more on his program components. Lambiel still would not have won Euros based on his flawed SP, but perhaps ranking Plushy 2nd in the long could have changed his perception a bit. Who knows? He was overmarked in PCS in every competition he skated in (as was Lysacek), so I say blame the judges for giving him a false perception of how he stacked up against the competition.
    If Lambiel had not fallen during his step sequence and his straigt -3 GOE had been replaced by +2 GOE then Lambiel might have beaten Plushenko in the LP. Plushenko doubled a Lutz there so he lost a lot of points. But then Plushenko probably would have focused on ( or Mishin I don't know) being beaten by someone who did two quads. I don't think they would have thought of PCS immediately but rather Lambiel's two quads. Or maybe they would have seen that he didn't do a 3A and that would have made them think of PCS. Ifs, ifs, ifs.

vCash
    Pairs: Shen/Zhao...finally

Dance: Virtue & Moir...it was about time North America had something to cheer about

vCash
    Just echoing some of the same names:

Yagudin
    Arakawa
    Shen and Zhao
    Nastia Liukin - girl had the competition of her life

but my all-time favorite victory:

Shaun White

Snowboarders are allowed two runs but IIRC, in both games, his first run scores already sealed the deal. However, in the Vancouver, to top it all off, he decides to do his 2nd run seriously and pulled out his biggest tricks.

vCash
    Ladies: Shiz, but still crushed that Kween has never won.

Men: Yags, but wish Plushy didn't fall in the SP. I wanted Yags to win but wanted it to be a fierce competition.

Pairs: Sale/Pelletier and i am just going to leave it at that.

Dance: Virtue/Moir, I was shaking and spamming the official Vancouver2010 site. I was SO nervous when Davis/White posted huge results but as soon as V/M's score flashed on the site with 1st place I almost cried....at work.

vCash
    Shen and Zhao all the way. They were mesmerizing up until the mistake, and ended well despite it.

Also Kim and Yagudin, who both flawless.

I would have been thrilled for Virtue and Moir too, if I hadn't been so heartbroken for DelSchoes.

vCash
    Yagudin, Kulik, and Klimova and Ponomarenko all left me very satisfied.

I was satisfied with B&S in Salt Lake City before the whole ridiculous faux-controversy.

I guess Yu Na Kim in ladies, although it felt very much like a foregone conclusion. But otherwise, it's hard to think of an OGM in ladies who was my first choice.

vCash
    For me, Vancouver was my 1st Olympic figure skating to watch and I was REALLY REALLY satisfied with all the victories.

Evan, Yu-Na, V/M, S/Z.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    Sarah Hughes, 2002.

I agree. On some level, Sarah's performance and rise to the top that night symbolizes what so many people think of as a big part of the Olympics: anything can happen. And seeing the underdog triumph is pretty cool (although I remember watching with my mom and being stunned when Michelle fell. I was still so excited for Sarah, though).

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Not a gold, but the most satisfying Olympics achievement for me was Joannie Rochette's bronze

Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    Men -

Ladies -
    Shizuka Arakawa; 2006 was the first time since Kristi Yamaguchi won that I felt the winner either deserved their gold or the win wasn't overshadowed by disappointment on behalf of other skaters who seemed to have had everything they needed (IMO) to get the job done but somehow faltered.
    For me Arakawa's victory was so satisfying because it felt like a true all around skater with deep pure edges won. I also found it meaningful because it was Japan's only medal at that games and it came in what was considered to be the crown jewel of the Olympics.It was also significant that a skater from a country with so much depth and history in FS finally won the big O. I remember one of the Japanese posters saying that Midori Ito started crying when she found out that Arakawa had won.
    Last edited by escaflowne9282; 12-22-2010 at 06:36 AM.

vCash
    Torino.
    The most beautiful couple, pair and lady, all with best edges and lines (which is a main criteria for me) won there.
    I did not watch the 1992 games, but now I think how awfuly unjust it might be if Klimova/Ponomarenko did not win those games, esp with that FD.
    I was also super-relieved when Elena and Anton won in 2002.

vCash
    Well, Shizuka, obviously. I love her/that victory because she is a brilliant example of pure, all-round skating, with clean lines, deep edges, big jumps and regal posture; and that night, there was no question she was the best. In addition to that I never thought I'd have a true, real fave ever win something so big - for example, if Kwan won, I'd be delighted or Cohen, or when Kim won; but I'm not an uber of their's, I just appreciate their skating on a casual level. Whereas Arakawa is MY skater (if you get me) so for her to win felt amazing. (Is that sad? lol)

Also: Shen/Zhao for very obvious reasons. And can I say that Pang/Tong were the most satisfying silver medallists ever for me.
    Last edited by Loves_Shizuka; 12-22-2010 at 08:06 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast