Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I still think Yuna needs another competition before Sochi to get in top shape.

vCash
    I don't think Yuna needs another competition. As long as she skates clean or semi clean, nobody can beat her.

vCash
    Yuna will definitely be in the mix for gold at Sochi but is a bit more vulnerable than she was in 2010. Still, if I had to bet money on either Mao, Julia or Yuna, I'd go with Yuna as the more reliable and complete package.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Julia isnt going to come anywhere near Kim in Sochi unless she falls 5 times. Julia skated cleanly at Nationals and lost to a subpar Sotnikova for crying out loud.

vCash
    Both after the last time she skated her long pragram and after this skate the affect she has when she is done with her performance is heart breaking to me. She is so talented yet the look on her face exudes exhaustion and misery. The only feeling I am left with is feeling sorry for her. I can't tell if she is just exhausted, or it reflects the pressure she is under, or if she is injured or ill, or if her heart is just not in this anymore, but the joy is gone from her skating. I don't see many others taking about this but I find myself feeling incredibly sad for her. It looks to me that skating competitively is the last place on the planet she wants to be.
    Last edited by kathy sullivan; 01-06-2014 at 02:47 AM.

vCash
    I too wonder a little about Yuna's mindset right now. Before she took the ice for her SP, her body language didn't look happy or confident. Her shoulders were slumped, and her face seemed tense and worried. Maybe I'm imagining it.

vCash
    I dont know if I feel sorry for her, but I will be very sorry if the judges see this kind of routine, mechanical skating as vastly superior to everyone else's just because she has the big jumps. I hope Yu Na will be able to skate with real freedom in Sochi, and if not I hope the judges will be open to other skaters.

ETA: I wrote that before watching her SP (had to try four different links). THAT Yu Na is exquisite and deserves gold. Pity she didnt make that her FP and the dreary tango her SP. It will be a shame if she wins on the basis of the short and is outskated in the free - that is never fun except for the diehard fans (like me with Daisuke ).
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 01-06-2014 at 06:47 AM.

vCash
    c/o inspiration

Post-nationals Q&As

On double axel jitters
    "The most significant thing (about the Nationals), as a part of preparation leading up to Sochi, was hitting the planned levels better than I did at Golden Spin. It’s a relief that my hard work resulted in the good outcome, though there was not much time for the prep in between. I made a mistake with the last double axel. On the 2-2-2, the wonky double axel made me nervous about the next two combo jumps, which I couldn’t complete. This first double axel jump made me tentative and I ended up singling the second one. Overall, there was no major mistake though. I am not too much worried about those minor hiccups today because they are the type of mistakes I can readily fix with a little more concentration.”

Things to improve until the Olympics
    “I think the most important thing is to polish up and perfect the programs/choreographies through each competition, though I am doing only three competitions for this Olympics season. There are things that come to my attention only through skating at a competition, not through daily training. So I learned of such things through the Nationals. I plan to pay more attention to the expressiveness/performance side of my programs for my last competition at the Sochi Olympics.”

Take on your stamina
    “I have improved it for sure since Golden Spin. To be safe, I think I should improve it even more to a level where I can do the free skate with more ease. As I have done since Golden Spin, I will continue to work on my physical strength and condition.”

Did today’s skate boost your confidence in clean skate?
    “It was not a perfectly clean skate, but I got to a point where I could’ve done it. This event was helpful in that I’ve gained more confidence about putting up a clean skate in a competition. I feel like I will able to skate with more confidence.”

Were jump glitches attributable to your stamina?
    “It is true that it is getting more physically demanding toward the end of the free skate. Yet the jump mistakes did not result from lacking stamina. I could’ve done those jumps without an issue and I wish I had not missed them. It got me thinking I need to maintain my focus a little better. I was a little more mindful of my double axel jump in that I made the mistake with that jump in my SP at Golden Spin. It was a good experience in that it helps me address/minimize such minor mistakes.”

Any advice to Soyoun and Haejin
    “They are still very young and developing their skating. I just wish that they don’t stress themselves too much over competing at the Olympics. The bigger the game is, the more you get anxious. Hope they find it rewarding to skate at the Olympics and could enjoy the off-the-ice experience as well.

Content with the new dress?
    “I haven’t seen it myself, so I don’t really know. I will discuss with the team and will decide what to do about it.”

Why did you do the double axel when you were called to the podium?
    “I don’t usually do a jump in a victory ceremony or a gala show. I was thinking over what to do and decided to redo the one I blew--the double axel, which I singled today.

What is different compared with four years ago
    “As I have quite of experience under my belt, I feel less pressure. I think that’s what have allowed me to do pretty well throughout this season. On the flip side, there are things that are now more difficult and things that take more efforts than before when it comes to training. But I have already been on this mission and will endeavor to stick it out.”

On a final duel with Mao Asada
    “Everyone wants to do well with what they do. I figure I might have less pressure on excelling compared to Mao. I don’t have make-it-or-break-it type of pressure about earning the OGM this time. I’d be happy with a great result of course, but I now have less pressure about the outcome itself. It’s not an easy thing to do, competing at a second Olympics. As we, who are at the same age, are to take the stage again at the Olympics, I wish her all the best.”

Thoughts on finishing your last competition in Korea
    “At first, I thought nothing but ‘being done.’ I had thought the last year’s one was my last competition in Korea, but I’ve come this way somehow. I kept in good shape as I was preparing for a local competition, and I was happy that I did well. Happier that I did in front of the fans in Korea.

Plans going forward
    “Nothing special. Just like what I have done so far, continue to upgrade my physical condition, stamina plus spins and other non-jump elements. Also upgrade jump consistency and pace myself to avoid injury.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ehdtkqorl123 View Post
    Yuna Kim - Send in the clown @ Korean Nationals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKMbnmVjMhs
    Truly exquisite, absolute worthy program.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    When Yuna was asked about a new dress, was it for the FS or the SP?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    When Yuna was asked about a new dress, was it for the FS or the SP?
    free skate..

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I think Yuna more than any skater out there (and especially since she knows she's competing less), does not accept an "off" day. In a lot of ways while she already has the Oly title and that does take pressure off, it adds another set of expectations compared to any competition she's entered. Dealing with the injury and coming back too, she's really done a great job she just has a bit more expectations of herself than any of the others skaters (and it's why she's the Queen). If she's not 100% ready or confident she's going to have a skate for the ages, she will be stressed, but its because of her late start I think. She did great, she's a rockstar and will handle it in Sochi. You could see this in say Nadia Comaneci or any of the other greats in their sports, they just have a different standard for themselves because they've achieved perfection and are competing more with past performances they've given compared to any of the other skaters in the competition they are in. She probably wants to tour for the rest of her life after this Nobody can really blame her either.
    Last edited by Karpenko; 01-06-2014 at 08:54 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    whole amazing post

vCash
    i've watched her LP again.. i don't think the program is bad.. and i don't think the music cut is bad either.. after she messed up her 2/2/2 combinations that was the time that she was getting slower.. i believe if she skated to this with more fire i think it could be a great program.. but there's at least hope because she improved a lot from zagreb..

actually i like this program better than les mis and even gershwin..

as for her SP.. it was just breathaking.. the program is so old school that i appreciate it so much.. even my friend who is not into figure skating was mesmerized by her SP..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riveredge View Post
    i've watched her LP again.. i don't think the program is bad.. and i don't think the music cut is bad either.. after she messed up her 2/2/2 combinations that was the time that she was getting slower.. i believe if she skated to this with more fire i think it could be a great program.. but there's at least hope because she improved a lot from zagreb..

actually i like this program better than les mis and even gershwin..

as for her SP.. it was just breathaking.. the program is so old school that i appreciate it so much.. even my friend who is not into figure skating was mesmerized by her SP..
    Well, you shouldn't worry about the LP too much. Unlike many other tango programs I have seen, Yuna's has some authentic tango feel as it incorporates legato/staccato articulations, some tango steps, etc., which makes the program difficult. An example. Right after 3F, Wilson places a transition that requires both upper body and lower body movements including some boleos. Furthermore, Yuna is required to phrase the movements with legato/staccato. It takes time to master the whole sequence. There are other choreographic "mines" in the LP.

Once she gets them all down, it is going to be quite good (though I am not sure how popular it is going to be). Since she has already gotten the SP down, she has a month and half for the LP. That is enough time to improve quite a bit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by key65man View Post
    Well, you shouldn't worry about the LP too much. Unlike many other tango programs I have seen, Yuna's has some authentic tango feel as it incorporates legato/staccato articulations, some tango steps, etc., which makes the program difficult. An example. Right after 3F, Wilson places a transition that requires both upper body and lower body movements including some boleos. Furthermore, Yuna is required to phrase the movements with legato/staccato. It takes time to master the whole sequence. There are other choreographic "mines" in the LP.

Once she gets them all down, it is going to be quite good (though I am not sure how popular it is going to be). Since she has already gotten the SP down, she has a month and half for the LP. That is enough time to improve quite a bit.
    Good point. I think the purpose of this program (by Wilson) is to boast YuNa's brilliant skating skill and blade control.

vCash
    She probably could use a little more fire and intensity in the free. Then again, she lights up in competition so I fully expect her to skate inspiringly in Sochi.

vCash
    Her SP is simply exquisite! And I love her dress so much. She floats like a butterfly on the ice. I can't believe we'll have only one more chance to see this beautiful SP.

As for the LP, I like her footwork for Tango. It's so difficult and now I understand why Yu-Na said this was the most difficult program for her.
    Although I want to see the culmination of what she's trying to express, I just wish her to stay healthy and to enjoy the moment at her last Olympic at Sochi.

Thank you David as always for giving her such beautiful programs!

Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast