Page 33 of 52 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 660 of 1025
  1. #641

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in Yuna bubble everafter
    Posts
    4,891
    vCash
    465
    Rep Power
    42231

    Yuna to promote Innsbruck Youth Olympic Games 2012!!

    As a YOG ambassador, she's currently attending YOG press conference in Lausanne, Switzerland with president Jacques Rogge.

    Some photos released.

    Kevin Rolland, a French FIS freestyle ski world champion, YOG mascot Yoggle, and Yuna!
    http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...ePeMS/x999.jpg
    http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...qvajL/999x.jpg
    http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...Fi7Kc/999x.jpg
    http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...xS6tT/999x.jpg
    http://static.deseretnews.com/images...032/646032.jpg

    During press conference with Kevin Rolland, President Rogge in the middle, and lovely Yuna!
    http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...0N1rU/999x.jpg
    http://static.deseretnews.com/images...031/646031.jpg

    if you want some more info on this handsome man, try this link.
    IOC: Kevin Rolland joins Yuna Kim to promote the Innsbruck 2012 YOG

    Yuna
    http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...RT28u/999x.jpg

  2. #642

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in Yuna bubble everafter
    Posts
    4,891
    vCash
    465
    Rep Power
    42231
    Come and chat with Yuna Kim in IOC facebook page!
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1989215&type=3

  3. #643

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in Yuna bubble everafter
    Posts
    4,891
    vCash
    465
    Rep Power
    42231
    Yuna's interview with ISU in Lausanne
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video....50440255035664

    From ISU facebook!
    Yuna Kim from Korea - Ambassador for the Youth Olympic Games she tells the ISU what else she has planned for the year and shares some advice for those who want to achieve their dreams.

  4. #644

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in Yuna bubble everafter
    Posts
    4,891
    vCash
    465
    Rep Power
    42231

    Katarina Witt wonders where the emotion has gone

    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ontent=2223365

    The last major competition that Witt saw in minute detail was the 2010 Vancouver Games, and she grants she saw two beautiful, memorable programs: by Canadian ice dancers Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir and by women’s champion Yu-Na Kim of South Korea.
    However, he pointed to skaters such as Kim, former world champion Daisuke Takahashi, current world champion Patrick Chan of Canada, Virtue and Moir, and the Olympic champions from China, Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo, as skaters that delivered plenty of emotion and artistic content.
    Both Katarina Witt naysayer for IJS and William Thompson, chief executive officer of Skate Canada in favor of IJS agree that Yuna Kim and Virtue & Moir shine through skating scene no matter the circumstances.

  5. #645
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Yuna's interview with ISU in Lausanne
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video....50440255035664

    From ISU facebook!
    Kim says in the video that she’s not training as hard as she would if she were competing. That is not a good sign for whose wishing her to return to competitive skating. Consider her situation: if the wishes to stay competitive with the Russian newcomers (who will get better season by season) and Asada, she will need to upgrade her jump content from last season’s Worlds. She will probably need the 3Lp, a jump she hasn’t included in her repertoire in years and which will take a few seasons to bring back at a consistent level. She does not seem committed to such rigorous training. I seriously doubt she will compete again.
    Last edited by prometheus; 11-05-2011 at 06:03 PM.

  6. #646

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in Yuna bubble everafter
    Posts
    4,891
    vCash
    465
    Rep Power
    42231
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Kim says in the video that she’s not training as hard as she would if she were competing. That is not a good sign for whose wishing her to return to competitive skating. Consider her situation: if the wishes to stay competitive with the Russian newcomers (who will get better season by season) and Asada, she will need to upgrade her jump content from last season’s Worlds. She will probably need the 3Lp, a jump she hasn’t included in her repertoire in years and which will take a few seasons to bring back at a consistent level. She does not seem committed to such rigorous training. I seriously doubt she will compete again.
    True. But Yuna's taking off season for the first time in her career, and did say that she wanted to ponder way through her future itself. It includes outside of skating career, too. She's not sure about her future skating career and now is committed to all kinds of responsibilities e.g, being the ambassador for Youth Olympic Games, Special Olympics, UNICEF, and the key member of Pyeongchang Olympic committee, etc. She has now way a lot to consider for her career. But I don't think possible match-ups you mentioned would be a relevant factor for her decision to come back if she's that committed to competitive skating.

  7. #647
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    But I don't think possible match-ups you mentioned would be a relevant factor for her decision to come back if she's that committed to competitive skating.
    Competitive skating entails skating for placement and medals. If this is no longer her goal, she can focus her attention on ice shows and it seems from the video that this is one of her interests.

    Competitive skaters almost always factor their competition when they make their decisions. Look at how many men are introducing the quad (some of whom can barely rotate one) in order to stay competitive this season. It's naive and disengenous to assume otherwise.

  8. #648
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Kim says in the video that she’s not training as hard as she would if she were competing. That is not a good sign for whose wishing her to return to competitive skating..
    That’s the whole point in one’s having a break and skipping the season, isn’t it?

    If she come back at some point, I don’t agree she’d be in a position to catch up in technical contents to stay competitive. She’s been arguably the best 3-3 jumper ever in quality and consistency, with magical transitions in between her jumps, and basically free from dinged with edge or rotation calls. If anything, it would be the others doing the catch-up. Isn’t it telling Kostner is back in contention even without a 3lz or a 3f, or both?
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 11-06-2011 at 04:12 PM.

  9. #649
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    If she come back at some point, I don’t agree she’d be in a position to catch up in technical contents to stay competitive.
    That might have been true before 2010-11 season and the recent rule changes - now she's at a disadvantage without a 3lp. Ando beat on her base value in the lp at her last competition without a 3-3. That should tell you something.

    She’s been arguably the best 3-3 jumper ever in quality and consistency, with magical transitions in between her jumps, and basically free from dinged with edge or rotation calls.
    If she does come back she will face more competition than she did before, when the her only real competitor was Asada. The Russians are performing consistent 3-3, and they don't face motivation issues with Sochi just around the corner. Some of them do all 7 triples. Asada is an experimental stage, but I think she will also come back to full form by next year.

    Kim never had a consistent 3lp in her skating career; if she comes back with the same jump layout as 2011 Worlds, she'll be beatable by the Russians and a stronger Asada.

    Kim is probably contemplating all this. I think she's reluctant to announce her retirement yet, although she has her foot at the door, because of all the endorsement and sponsorship monies she would lose. But her recent activities like launching her own ceramics line and skating diplomacy signal to me that she's seeking alternative careers. I don't think she would engage in such activities if she fully focused on competing.

  10. #650

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in Yuna bubble everafter
    Posts
    4,891
    vCash
    465
    Rep Power
    42231
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Kim is probably contemplating all this. I think she's reluctant to announce her retirement yet, although she has her foot at the door, because of all the endorsement and sponsorship monies she would lose. But her recent activities like launching her own ceramics line and skating diplomacy signal to me that she's seeking alternative careers. I don't think she would engage in such activities if she fully focused on competing.
    I don't know why anyone would conveniently think that SHE WILL LOSE EVERYTHING IF SHE DOESN'T COMPETE ANYMORE. Her recent activities are telling that she's capable of being an huge attraction for people around the world as who she is and it isn't even relating the fact that she COMPETED at the latest worlds. She's become a "national treasure" in her country which probably means that no matter what she does she will have their support at least in Korea, and will keep doing her ice shows which is called inarguably the best skating galas in the world with fantastic and unbelievable skating stars.

    So, why would *some* people keep focusing on that, I don't get it

  11. #651

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in Yuna bubble everafter
    Posts
    4,891
    vCash
    465
    Rep Power
    42231

    Yuna Kim has got YOG DNA... have you?

    IOC - Innsbruck 2012 released a clip of Yuna reviving the Vancouver moment!

    Have you got YOG DNA?

    Related article http://www.olympic.org/content/YOG_/...-DNA-have-you/

  12. #652

  13. #653

  14. #654

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    429
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Yuna looks stunning

  15. #655
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    51
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think Yuna needed to take a break after the 2010 Olympics, but kept competing half-heartedly in Worlds 2010 and 2011. She finally is taking her vacation this year. Maybe the time away will recharge her batteries and revive her competitive spirit. If it does, I don't see any reason why she couldn't return to top form in time for Sochi. At this point, I think the only possible challenge to Yuna technically would be from Mao and the "baby" newcomers if they survive puberty intact, but even then they would have to match Yuna in presentation skills and I don't think anyone can do that yet.
    Last edited by jatale; 11-10-2011 at 03:33 AM.

  16. #656
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    That might have been true before 2010-11 season and the recent rule changes - now she's at a disadvantage without a 3lp. Ando beat on her base value in the lp at her last competition without a 3-3. That should tell you something.

    If she does come back she will face more competition than she did before, when the her only real competitor was Asada. The Russians are performing consistent 3-3, and they don't face motivation issues with Sochi just around the corner. Some of them do all 7 triples. Asada is an experimental stage, but I think she will also come back to full form by next year.

    Kim never had a consistent 3lp in her skating career; if she comes back with the same jump layout as 2011 Worlds, she'll be beatable by the Russians and a stronger Asada.

    Kim is probably contemplating all this. I think she's reluctant to announce her retirement yet, although she has her foot at the door, because of all the endorsement and sponsorship monies she would lose. But her recent activities like launching her own ceramics line and skating diplomacy signal to me that she's seeking alternative careers. I don't think she would engage in such activities if she fully focused on competing.
    Don't you realize many top athletes in any discipline are not exactly limiting their lives to practicing and competing? Commercial endorcements or other promotional actitivities are a norm, not an exception, for popular and marketable athletes or other celebrities. It's been that way since ANCIENT times.

    I find so many of your repetitive statements unreasonable and assumptive. If I choose one to comment on, Yu-Na has never been an outright favorite if you only consider the technical base value. In that respect, actually she has been an underdog from Day 1 of her major junior or senior career. Asada, Ando and Kostner in their respective top form had been ahead of her in jump base value.

    That’s a fact, but I think nobody would argue against her being the symbol of technical prowess, at least over the past 3-4 years. Some people fail to realize how good she is in handling technical difficulties in ALL aspects of her skating, not only in the quality of her jumps, but in other aspects of skating like her speed throughout, intricate transitions, tight spins, steps, edges, acceleration in fewer strokes, spirals of outstanding length and coverage, etc. And those are on top of her presentation skills or je ne sais quoi intangibles.

    That’s not to say she’s invincible. It’s possible someone would be able to beat her even at her best. But she’s still the one to beat, when you consider overall aspects of her skating, not just her jumps. And, I respect her for always skating within what she’s prepared to do, yet at the same time going for 100% of what she’s capable of, injured or healthy, ahead or behind. I think that’s a sign of integrity to her sport, and also to herself as an athlete. And who knows, her motivation might be other than being declared a winner again under the current measure sticks dictated by the COP, if she come back.

    Your repeated emphasis on jump base value to be competitive at top in COP reminds me of the ill-effects of current IJS frequently mentioned by the likes of Witt or Bianchetti. I think the weight between TES and PCS should better be re-calibrated, especially in ladies singles (naively assuming the PCS judging would achieve some fairness). I don’t see a real good reason women’s PCS is 0.7 factored. There is certain embedded motivation away from performing a balanced, innovative or provoking program incorporating bold transitions and moves to fit well-conceived choreography, given the overwhelming importance of TES over the narrow scoring corridor of PCS assigned to the top ladies (politics aside). No wonder men’s programs nowadays generally have more character. Any day I would take a well-balanced and well-performed program, over one that’s busy, or calculatedly paced, at hitting the technical elements.
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 11-10-2011 at 04:19 PM.

  17. #657

  18. #658

  19. #659

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in Yuna bubble everafter
    Posts
    4,891
    vCash
    465
    Rep Power
    42231
    OMG Runnershigh, it's been a million years since you've gone away!

    thanks for the pictures. Yuna looks dandy and cute in them She's being invited so many big events in Korea lately and seems to really enjoy her season off!

  20. #660
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    Don't you realize many top athletes in any discipline are not exactly limiting their lives to practicing and competing? Commercial endorcements or other promotional actitivities are a norm, not an exception, for popular and marketable athletes or other celebrities. It's been that way since ANCIENT times.

    I find so many of your repetitive statements unreasonable and assumptive. If I choose one to comment on, Yu-Na has never been an outright favorite if you only consider the technical base value. In that respect, actually she has been an underdog from Day 1 of her major junior or senior career. Asada, Ando and Kostner in their respective top form had been ahead of her in jump base value.

    That’s a fact, but I think nobody would argue against her being the symbol of technical prowess, at least over the past 3-4 years. Some people fail to realize how good she is in handling technical difficulties in ALL aspects of her skating, not only in the quality of her jumps, but in other aspects of skating like her speed throughout, intricate transitions, tight spins, steps, edges, acceleration in fewer strokes, spirals of outstanding length and coverage, etc. And those are on top of her presentation skills or je ne sais quoi intangibles.

    That’s not to say she’s invincible. It’s possible someone would be able to beat her even at her best. But she’s still the one to beat, when you consider overall aspects of her skating, not just her jumps. And, I respect her for always skating within what she’s prepared to do, yet at the same time going for 100% of what she’s capable of, injured or healthy, ahead or behind. I think that’s a sign of integrity to her sport, and also to herself as an athlete. And who knows, her motivation might be other than being declared a winner again under the current measure sticks dictated by the COP, if she come back.

    Your repeated emphasis on jump base value to be competitive at top in COP reminds me of the ill-effects of current IJS frequently mentioned by the likes of Witt or Bianchetti. I think the weight between TES and PCS should better be re-calibrated, especially in ladies singles (naively assuming the PCS judging would achieve some fairness). I don’t see a real good reason women’s PCS is 0.7 factored. There is certain embedded motivation away from performing a balanced, innovative or provoking program incorporating bold transitions and moves to fit well-conceived choreography, given the overwhelming importance of TES over the narrow scoring corridor of PCS assigned to the top ladies (politics aside). No wonder men’s programs nowadays generally have more character. Any day I would take a well-balanced and well-performed program, over one that’s busy, or calculatedly paced, at hitting the technical elements.

    Firstly, I’m not arguing with her “technical prowess” pre-2010. I referred specifically to the post-2010-11 season. The last competition is indicative because of her lingering post-Olympics motivation issues, plus the recent rule changes such as the limit to the number of double axels in the lp. The latter forced her to replace her reliable 2a-3t to her less reliable 3s-2t at 2011 Worlds. If she keeps the same jump layout, it means that with her trouble with edge jumps like the salchow, the probability of executing clean programs can be much less than pre-2010.

    In Kim’s last competition, Ando’s program components were a meager about 2 points apart , so I don’t where you get the idea that she will be rewarded for the other qualities mentioned. For all you know, Russians could receive a PCS boost with the local crowd cheering them at Sochi, which leads to my next point. I brought up the Russians to add to the point that I think the landscape has changed. I think it will be lot harder for her than pre- 2010 not only because of the recent rule changes but more competitors of her caliber that she never faced before.

    I’ve often noticed that figure skating fans tend to place skaters on a pedestal and project traits (or rather, fantasies) onto people that they don’t even have. (Isn’t this what you’re doing with Kim?) It’s the same logical fallacy as seen in the following statement - “I’ve seen her incorporating legal terms into her sentences, therefore she MUST be an attorney.” Obviously there are alternative reasons for the first statement, and the second statement is not caused to be true from the first.
    Last edited by prometheus; 11-13-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Page 33 of 52 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •