Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

vCash
    Hillary Clinton says Kim Yuna's performance was "Magnificent"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMyrb9Hxkjo

vCash

YOG Ambassador Yuna covers IOC main page again!

http://www.olympic.org/content/yog/y...nd-the-scenes/
    The YOG film crew had to pinch themselves last week when they got the amazing opportunity to meet none other than figure skating queen and newly announced YOG Ambassador Yuna Kim!
    A true icon to millions around the world, Yuna graciously took to the ice in the same stunning electric blue, sequined outfit she wore for her record-breaking, gold medal-winning performance at the 2010 Vancouver Olympic Games, to demonstrate some of her beautiful trademark moves.

vCash
    Latest twitter feed from Yuna.
    Please watch the PSA I did for @UNICEF -- http://bit.ly/pVTVFf - If we don't do something now...an entire generation will be lost
    Yuna Kim promoting donation for crises in East Africa.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18a8AYAqr7I

vCash

Thumbs up Yuna Kim with Hillary Rodham Clinton!

hmm I guess the excitement that the star of this sport is meeting one of the biggest political figures is not for everyone

anyway, Yuna posted a picture she took with Madame Secretary!

http://www.yunakim.com
    http://i.imgur.com/ookrz.jpg

(oopsie much votox)

vCash
    Dear Miss Kim Yuna,
    I saw how you were present at a U.S. State Department event accompanying President Lee Myung Bak of South Korea, mingling with powerful people at the Washington D.C. It must have been a cool experience to meet likes of Hilary Clinton whom you have said you admire so much. If you are enjoying time of your life meeting your heroine, and being around pinnacle of political power, good for you. You have done plenty in your sport, and thus should be perfectly free to enjoy whichever fruit that your success has brought to you.

I do wish, however, that you would take moment of consideration as to why you were invited and what kind of role you have played, as well as what kind of ramifications your humble political activity may bring to lives of ordinary people.

Let me give my opinion regarding matters stated above.

- You were invited to D.C. in order to promote political agenda such as; 1) joining of free trade agreement between South Korea and the U.S., and 2) record breaking amount of weapon sales from the U.S. to South Korea.

- Regardless of you being aware of it or not, your presence there will be used to push such political agendas through in your country. In other words, your angel-like image here will be plastered over to sugarcoat policies that will have detrimental effects to livelihood of so many. Let me be more specific.

1) By KorAm FTA, millions of Korean farmers will be forced to give up their livelihood. Korean farms are mostly ran by elderly people and too small in size to compete against American corporate farms and large-size agribusinesses. Korea will not only have to rely on foreign hands for it's food security, but also be forced to give up over 5,000 years of tradition as a culture based on faming.

2) KorAm FTA will likely lead to deterioration of world-class healthcare system that South Korea has. Currently, Koreans enjoy government-run universal healthcare that is of high quality and well funded. FTA will open doors to for-profit medical institutions like they have in the U.S. Undoubtedly, this will eventually lead to inequality in healthcare service that people receive, and in extreme cases, put people's rights to healthy lives in jeopardy. If you have any doubts, just ask any ordinary American what they think of their own healthcare system.

3) Another issue at hand is weapons purchase deal of unprecedented size. According to agreement signed by Lee Myung Bak administration during their visit in Washington D.C., South Korean government will buy $15 billion worth of conventional weaponry such as fighter jets, attack helicopters, and radar systems in 2012. If we take into account that the total amount of weapons that U.S. has sold in fiscal year of 2011 will be around $50 billion, we could see how large the size of the purchase really is, i.e. Korea will likely be buying 30% of all weapons that U.S. will sell to the rest of the world next year. It is a well established fact that South Korea already has enough fire-power to bury Kim Jong-Il's starving group of men within a few minutes. This isn't just a bad policy, but an immorality. Korea has better ways to spend tax payer-provided funds, such as subsidizing college tuitions and providing adequate shelters to elderly population.

I have heard rumors that you will be performing to ‘Fever’ at Evening with the Champions event at Harvard. I can't say I'm too excited, since ‘Fever’ is my least favorite of your programs. Frankly, I'm pretty sure that you will look like a prostitute who accidentally walked into a royal wedding on duty.

But you know what? I won’t be disappointed, not as much as I am with your latest venture into international politics, as I believe promoting rotten policies that hurt people for interests of a handful is a lot worse than prostitution.
    Last edited by RumbleFish; 10-14-2011 at 04:08 PM.

vCash
    In most part I agree with what RumbleFish said (now deleted), and I wouldn’t argue with the small details. I would cut some slack on her choosing Fever though, assuming she had little time to get back to where she was and it’s her current exhibition number for the year after all, although I agree that she’s capable of a far more substantial and moving skating program.

I think she is at a crossroads, not only with her competitive career, but also with her future path beyond skating. I believe she basically has control over her own activities, but at the same time I can’t help thinking that at times she’s being used here and there, in most cases politically. And I agree with RF that this latest U.S. Dept. of State invitation thing definitely qualifies as one of such instances. She’s still so young, but what she does now at the pinnacle of her athletic career can have some lasting ramifications on her future career in terms of reputation or public acceptance, even among her people.

She has risen to the status of the sport’s icon and international stardom by the age of 20. After the euphoria is gone when time passes, nobody knows what she’s going to be left with outside of her achievements in skating. I am optimistic as I have little doubt that she’s sincere, humble, diligent, intelligent, politically and socially conscious, and caring. All she needs is some benchmarks, learning and soul searching.
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 10-14-2011 at 02:40 PM.

vCash
    rumblefish.. you need to relax. maybe you need a drink. you're too emotional and i don't know why are you so angry all the time??

vCash
    Why on earth would Rumblefish keep insisting calling a decent person a "prostitute"? There are tons of many ways to describe his unpleasant feeling.

vCash
    Since number of people have read the post already, I decided to repost it. What is done is done, and I'm left with no choice but to deal with the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    In most part I agree with what RumbleFish said (now deleted), and I wouldn’t argue with the small details. I would cut some slack on her choosing Fever though, assuming she had little time to get back to where she was and it’s her current exhibition number for the year after all, although I agree that she’s capable of a far more substantial and moving skating program.
    As much as I hate Fever, thinking about her doing the number at Harvard show make me cringe extra hard. Not only program is shitty, but it is also extremely inappropriate for a charity event with a snobby twist.

I think she is at a crossroads, not only with her competitive career, but also with her future path beyond skating. I believe she basically has control over her own activities, but at the same time I can’t help thinking that at times she’s being used here and there, in most cases politically. And I agree with RF that this latest U.S. Dept. of State invitation thing definitely qualifies as one of such instances. She’s still so young, but what she does now at the pinnacle of her athletic career can have some lasting ramifications on her future career in terms of reputation or public acceptance, even among her people.
    Only benefit of her meeting Hillary Clinton I can think of is that Hillary's 3rd term as de facto president of the US might inspire her to go for a three-peat at the Olympics.

She has risen to the status of the sport’s icon and international stardom by the age of 20. After the euphoria is gone when time passes, nobody knows what she’s going to be left with outside of her achievements in skating. I am optimistic as I have little doubt that she’s sincere, humble, diligent, intelligent, politically and socially conscious, and caring. All she needs is some benchmarks, learning and soul searching.
    ITA that while YNK is a great skater, she doesn't have a clue about international politics thus she should stick to what she is good at and concentrate on skating.
    Last edited by RumbleFish; 10-14-2011 at 03:56 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riveredge View Post
    rumblefish.. you need to relax. maybe you need a drink. you're too emotional and i don't know why are you so angry all the time??
    Emotional? Angry? Moi?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Why on earth would Rumblefish keep insisting calling a decent person a "prostitute"? There are tons of many ways to describe his unpleasant feeling.
    I haven't called anyone a prostitute.
    I am however, concerned that a slutty routine might make someone look like a prostitiute.
    It is a totally different thing.

vCash
    RumbleFish, I agree her Fever routine is not appropriate for the occasion (and I think the costume is hideous).

I was not entirely happy to see her present at the Dept. of State luncheon, but it would be unfair to fault her on attending such event. I don’t agree with that she would have no clue in international politics, because she should have felt the direct influence of the politics (in international judging and the background workings behind it) since she was very young. Her experience might have been limited to athletic judging, but politics are more or less same in other fields. I imagine she might well be far more discerning than most people at 21.

Saying that she should concentrate on skating because that’s what she’s good at, is unfair IMO. Especially when she has already won everything there is in skating. The reason I said I was optimistic on her future career beyond active skating is that, to me she seems to be a socially and politically alert person. As a longtime fan, I’ve felt that way on many occasions since she was a junior.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    RumbleFish, I agree her Fever routine is not appropriate for the occasion (and I think the costume is hideous).

I was not entirely happy to see her present at the Dept. of State luncheon, but it would be unfair to fault her on attending such event. I don’t agree with that she would have no clue in international politics, because she should have felt the direct influence of the politics (in international judging and the background workings behind it) since she was very young. Her experience might have been limited to athletic judging, but politics are more or less same in other fields. I imagine she might well be far more discerning than most people at 21.
    First of all, I wasn't blaming anyone for her little foray into international politics. All I was doing was trying to alert her about underlying issues she was promoting and consequences they may bring. I doubt that she would actually read what is being said here, but I hope people around her may have presence of mind to monitor these boards.

Secondly, I don't agree that what transpires in the worlds of figure skating could be comparable to brutalities that go on at the political establishment. YNK might have gotten screwed good number of times in competitions, but it would be nothing compared to magnitude of sufferings that ensue rotten policies that she is helping to promote.

Saying that she should concentrate on skating because that’s what she’s good at, is unfair IMO. Especially when she has already won everything there is in skating. The reason I said I was optimistic on her future career beyond active skating is that, to me she seems to be a socially and politically alert person. As a longtime fan, I’ve felt that way on many occasions since she was a junior.
    I'm tired of hearing things like 'she has won everything as a skater', since it would be only partly true. Do you think Irina Rodnina would agree with such statements? How about what Drobiazko & Vanagas achieved? Would everyone agree that competing in 5 Olympics should be valued less than winning one gold medal?

If she happens to be contempt with her gold medal and prefers to do something else, that is her prerogative. However, I'd wish she would receive some kind of formal training. Let's look at Michelle Kwan who YNK idolizes. Though I consider her a dorky Asian Republican, I respect her for acting on behalf of what she believes in, and still regard her as a great skater. As of now, YNK looks like nothing more than a dumb girl who is being constantly abused as a PR tool of rotten politicians and corporate greed.

vCash
    We get it that you're against the KORUS FTA. Why don't you go start a candlelight vigil elsewhere?

It's not even like she's actively promoting it, which is the way you make it sound. All she did was attend a state function honoring her president. If you get invited, you go, simple as that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    hmm I guess the excitement that the star of this sport is meeting one of the biggest political figures is not for everyone

anyway, Yuna posted a picture she took with Madame Secretary!

http://www.yunakim.com
    http://i.imgur.com/ookrz.jpg

(oopsie much votox)
    Awesome picture of two awesome ladies!!

It's amazing how Yuna has come so far and achieved so much...

And I won't even bother with with RumbleFish's posts, which are 100% utter crap. Looks like RumbleFish is a Korean farmer or one of those anti-FTA zealots...

GET READY FOR FEVER IN HARVARD!!!

vCash
    And about Fever, I have seen it live multipe times, and it's one of my two favorite EX programs of Yuna, along with Thais.

RumbleFish, if you can't see the difference between being sexy and "looking like prostitute", well... I feel sorry for you, because you are serioulsy missing out in what life has to offer. And I totally disagree with your prudish attitude on skating. Who says figure skating cannot be sexy? Figure skating is art/performance as much as it is a sport, and I love the fact that people like Yuna & David Wilson are continuing to push the boundary. Yuna is probably the only skater who can sell a program like Fever... can't wait for tomorrow!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Figga View Post
    We get it that you're against the KORUS FTA. Why don't you go start a candlelight vigil elsewhere?
    What makes you think I won't?

It's not even like she's actively promoting it, which is the way you make it sound. All she did was attend a state function honoring her president. If you get invited, you go, simple as that.
    I hope she sticks to honoring her president even after his term is over. It isn't that far away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaia View Post
    RumbleFish, if you can't see the difference between being sexy and "looking like prostitute", well... I feel sorry for you, because you are serioulsy missing out in what life has to offer. And I totally disagree with your prudish attitude on skating. Who says figure skating cannot be sexy? Figure skating is art/performance as much as it is a sport, and I love the fact that people like Yuna & David Wilson are continuing to push the boundary. Yuna is probably the only skater who can sell a program like Fever... can't wait for tomorrow!!
    I really don't give a shit anymore. I couldn't care less if YNK decides to embarass herself further by skating topless or whatever the boundary she wishes to push.

If her last performance of her series of awkward sexy posings would serve as any indication, I expect her to be out-performed by Oksana Baiul and fight it out with Rachel Flatt for the worst performer of the night. I hope Protopopovs won't be too disappointed with the crap that current Olympic champion puts out in front of their eyes.

If such is what life has to offer, I'll be more than happy to pass on it.
    Thank you for your concerns. lol
    Last edited by RumbleFish; 10-15-2011 at 06:19 PM.

vCash
    http://p.twimg.com/Ab2b64SCQAA83Zf.jpg:large Is she turning out her foot?!
    http://i.imgur.com/0Q8Td.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/uHRlU.jpg cute, as always
    http://i.imgur.com/NJ9Og.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/ijsxq.jpg It seems like she's really enjoying!

Yuna's updated pics from tonight!

http://i.imgur.com/MMACx.jpg with Emily Hughes
    http://i.imgur.com/6rD4X.jpg with Alex and Maia Shibutanis and Ross Miner
    http://i.imgur.com/5fdvy.jpg with Paul Wylie

vCash

Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast