Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I love Yuna's fever exhibition! James Bond SP Rocks! one of my favorite Short programs from ladies in Olympic season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    shouldn't rumblefish's post be in the All That Skate thread?

and why aren't we ignoring the troll. it's one thing to dislike a person, or their actions, but criticizing everything she does seems like there's an ulterior motive...
    Criticisze Kim = troll

What a logic.
    You see what I mean by cult-like madness?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy03 View Post
    [/B]

i totally agree about what you said, it's just has become to much about posing in front of the camera and making her performance look sexy especially in her new exhibition programs...
    It's sad for me that I have to agree with you, but it's true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I don't know if I would say that Fever is tacky, but I didn't really like it though. In a way I think David Wilson has been trying to get Yuna to do these type of programs all along. Look at some of the posings she did in her James Bond SP.
    I think Yu-Na is an exceptionally beautiful and attractive woman so I see why they would try to play that to an audience. Her Bond program cashed in on that to a certain extent, but unlike these exhibition numbers, that program had a bit of sex appeal in addition to a lot substance (ie. hard jumps, great choreography, etc.). Bond didn't rely on Yu-Na being hot to sell the program.

I'm not much a fan of Yu-Na's exhibitions (she's a far more entertaining and electrifying competitive skater IMO) but Fever is probably my least favorite. I do think Wilson tried to play to Yu-Na's sex appeal by constructing this program for her and it's okay to step out of the box and try something new...but that doesn't mean everyone's going to like it. There's no heart in the program at all IMO. There isn't really any "skating" in it per se either; it's mostly sexy posing. It was something I watched once and didn't have the desire to watch again.

I thought her Homage to Korea exhibition was lovely, particularly b/c of the meaning behind it. I understand they had to chop some of the music to shorten it, but I think it achieved the desired effect. Those are the kind of exhibitions I like...ones that create moments. I'm not a fan of the exhibitions that look like they were thrown together in ten minutes and then set to a pop song. I like the ones that look like they took some time; the ones with a feeling, a message, a moment. I think her Meditation program was lovely as well. Again, it never really pulled me in but there was something about the sincerity of it that made it beautiful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    I don't have too many kind things to say, so if you are one of her groupies, you might as well not read this post....

.................................................. .................

IMO, Yuna Kim is on a crossroad where she has to make a choice in regards to future of her skating career.

Once thing she could do is to make another run at the Olympics. But observing her recent series of activities, I don't think she will choose this path, and I seriously doubt her chances to win in Sochi if she keeps her current pace.

Another option would be to retire from eligible competition and become a full time show skater. If this direction were to be taken, she should seriously look at direction her skating is taking. Unlike groupies who jam pack her current shows in order to celebrate their Queen winning medals, genuine skating fans will be looking for quality and memorable performances.

Despite her clusterfeck like recent showings, I still have lots of affection for Yuna Kim's skating. I hope she takes time in thinking about her future and make the right decisions that will open a path to a long lasting career filled with satisfying performances.
    I am glad that Yuna Kim has decided to skate at An Evening with Champions. It will be an excellent opportunity for her to ponder direction of her career. She will be free from overzealous crowd and will be able to perform something that she feels comfortable with. In addition, I hope interacting with Protopopovs, who IMO, has demonstrated more than anyone else for such a long period of time their genuine love of performing, will provide beneficial influence to her thought process.
    First of all, I agree with almost everything in the second part of your post, but I disagree significantly with the first part (the ......). I don't think that Yuna's EX's are about selling sex or nationalism. FEVER is provocative but in an innocent way, it allows Yuna to show how a beautiful girl can cast a spell. HOMAGE is a serious attempt at doing a ballet to a beautiful piece of music, her beautiful performance in the first ATS Summer show was spellbinding (the only performance of this EX in the 3 ATS shows that was clean). You may think her TV show K&C was cheesy, but it really was entertaining and the celebrities really took the competition seriously and grew tremendously as skaters over the course of the show. Having the winning couple perform on ATS was appropriate, they earned it and their amateur performance helped popularize skating more than any professional performance could possibly do.

As for the second part of your post, it was excellent. I'm a big fan of Yuna, but she is not the same skater now that she was prior to and including the Olympics. Her life since the Olympics has been a roller coaster ride and her on-ice performances have suffered. I've posted some of my concerns on Yuna fan sites only to be blasted by some over zealous fans, but that is to be expected.

Personally, I hope to see Yuna return to competitive skating with full focus and commitment. If, on the other hand, she decides to retire and pursue other interests I'll root for her to succeed there too. I think she is a special young lady and can make significant contributions to whatever endeavor(s) she sets her mind to doing.
    Last edited by jatale; 08-18-2011 at 06:23 PM.

vCash

Like Kwan like Kim ;)

Yuna's entrusted with duty of a new global ambassador for Pyeongchang Special Olympics 2013!

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/olympi...ns-in-new-role
    Prior to the press announcement the superstar champion conducted a clinic providing instruction to a group of Special Olympics figure skaters at the Dongchun Indoor Ice Skating Rink.
    To add to the excitement legendary figure skater and world champion Michelle Kwan and Olympic champions Nadia Comaneci and Bart Conner welcomed Kim in a video message.
    - I'm dying to see this vid!!
    The skater joins the growing group which includes American gold medal swimmer, Michael Phelps, Chinese Actress Zhang Ziyi, international basketball star Yao Ming, Romanian gold medalist Nadia Comaneci, three-time Major golf champion Padraig Harrington, figure skating World champion Scott Hamilton, actress and singer Vanessa Williams, and Princess of Monaco Charlene Wittstock who are currently serving as Special Olympics Global Ambassadors.
    Special Olympics' Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SpecialOlympics
    We're excited to announce figure skater Yuna Kim as a new global ambassador! Welcome to the family @Yunaaaa! http://j.mp/oiBucs
    Tweet from Senior communications manager for Special Olympics, Kristin Hughes http://twitter.com/#!/hughes_kristin
    Just watched figure skating champion @yunaaaa give a lesson to @SpecialOlympics athletes in Korea. #ilovemyjob
    Figure skating Olympics gold medalist @yunaaaa joins @MichaelPhelps as the newest @SpecialOlympics Global Ambassadors.
    Michael Phelps tweeted, too http://twitter.com/#!/MichaelPhelps
    Happy thurs tweeps!! Congratulations Kim Yu-Na for becoming a Special Olympics Global Ambassador. Welcome to the team!
    Wow. He calls Yuna as Kim Yuna, not Yuna Kim

vCash
    I looked up some pics!

http://i.imgur.com/2cb1Q.jpg She has so beautiful smile
    http://i2.media.daumcdn.net/photo-me...8143427924.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/Z9AMY.jpg From the far left, the Chief Strategic Properties, a skater who'll be competing at PC Special Olympics, a chairwoman of Special Olympics World Winter Games PyeongChang 2013. The dolls are the mascots for the olympics.
    http://i.imgur.com/I40Nu.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/G3mon.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/yHjJb.jpg
    http://i2.media.daumcdn.net/photo-me...8141127417.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jatale View Post
    I don't think that Yuna's EX's are about selling sex or nationalism. FEVER is provocative but in an innocent way, it allows Yuna to show how a beautiful girl can cast a spell.
    Oh, come on. That wasn't skating. Why the hell is the ice there for. She could have basically performed the same shit wearing high heels or sneakers.

BTW, I can go to a night club and make a girl do the same routine much better by shoving a 100 dollar bill into her chest.

I'm sorry to be so harsh, but I don't think I can get my message across some of you unless I do.

HOMAGE is a serious attempt at doing a ballet to a beautiful piece of music, her beautiful performance in the first ATS Summer show was spellbinding (the only performance of this EX in the 3 ATS shows that was clean).
    Then the two-thirds of the crowd should have asked for a refund.
    I liked Arirang as an competitive program, but a choppy music cut, her flat performance, and overall cheesiness of the show left me with impression of pleading to nationalism. You are free to feel otherwise though.

You may think her TV show K&C was cheesy, but it really was entertaining and the celebrities really took the competition seriously and grew tremendously as skaters over the course of the show. Having the winning couple perform on ATS was appropriate, they earned it and their amateur performance helped popularize skating more than any professional performance could possibly do.
    I only watched a half of an episode and gave up. People have different tastes, so I don't mind other people watching it.

As for the winning couple performing at the show, I was down right scared to see them doing dangerous stuff like lifts, and was left wondering whether they were properly insured against unfortunate accidents. I'm astonished that more people don't feel the same way.

As for the second part of your post, it was excellent. I'm a big fan of Yuna, but she is not the same skater now that she was prior to and including the Olympics. Her life since the Olympics has been a roller coaster ride and her on-ice performances have suffered. I've posted some of my concerns on Yuna fan sites only to be blasted by some over zealous fans, but that is to be expected.

Personally, I hope to see Yuna return to competitive skating with full focus and commitment. If, on the other hand, she decides to retire and pursue other interests I'll root for her to succeed there too. I think she is a special young lady and can make significant contributions to whatever endeavor(s) she sets her mind to doing.
    For me, whether she was really selling sex, pleading to nationalism, apprearing in a cheesy show or not is issues of secondary nature. The primary issue is that, at least in my eyes, she doesn't look comfortable in roles she was put in.

I don't know whether this is really the case. But if it is, it would be smart for her side to evaluate who is behind such decisions and clear whatever problems there may be.
    Last edited by RumbleFish; 08-18-2011 at 08:07 PM.

vCash
    l'etoile.. thanks for the pics and tweets.. she looks wonderful in the pics. she's all grown up now! I remember this girl who has braces and shy and looked awkward 4 years ago.

vCash
    wow, ignoring feature does a wonderful work for me I recommend you guys do that, too.

vCash
    It seems like Yu-Na is getting deeper and deeper entrenched in other things...

It's really making me wonder if she'll have time, energy, motivation, etc. to continue to skate competitively. She has a large heap of duties on her plate with the Pyeongchang Olympics and Special Olympics, not to mention her UNICEF work and all of the other charities, shows and obligations she has. I'm feeling like the more she takes on, the less likely she is to compete. I wouldn't put it past her to attempt to do all of these things but at some point it will catch up to her. Then the question becomes what do you drop to make room for other things? Maybe she'll leave competitions alone for the next two years and then make a run at Soichi...but like I said, it seems like she's getting farther and farther away from competing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riveredge View Post
    l'etoile.. thanks for the pics and tweets.. she looks wonderful in the pics. she's all grown up now! I remember this girl who has braces and shy and looked awkward 4 years ago.
    Yeah.. I've been really thrilled to have seen all those growth of hers. Wonder what the next four years would be like for her

Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    it seems like she's getting farther and farther away from competing.
    I'd really hate to see that Yuna really shines more than anyone else in competitions when she's on. I'd die to see her recapture her competitive fire.
    Last edited by l'etoile; 08-18-2011 at 09:30 PM.

vCash
    The welcome message vid for Yuna has been up!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgC8635f6ls

Chairman Tim Shriver provides a personal welcome along with Olympic champions and current and former Special Olympics Board Directors Bart Conner, Nadia Comaneci and Michelle Kwan.
    They all say WELCOME TO THE FAMILY

Oh my god I'm so excited I may vomit lol Michelle says "Welcome to the family, I hope to see you soon" and at the end of the clip, she gives out her kiss for Yuna
    I guess when Yuna goes back to LA they'll reunite

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Is the "cult of personality" so strong and fierce in South Korea that anyone sticking up out the crowd there (Yu-Na Kim, speed skaters, Rev. Moon - to name the examples best known in North America over the past few decades) attracts the kind of insane fandom and public (and now Internet) devotion and worship that these figures have attracted? Is it something intrinsic to Korean culture and identity?

If I were Yu-Na, I would be terrified of this type of "fan" - which is after all, short for fanatic.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VALuvsMKwan View Post
    Is the "cult of personality" so strong and fierce in South Korea that anyone sticking up out the crowd there (Yu-Na Kim, speed skaters, Rev. Moon - to name the examples best known in North America over the past few decades) attracts the kind of insane fandom and public (and now Internet) devotion and worship that these figures have attracted? Is it something intrinsic to Korean culture and identity?

If I were Yu-Na, I would be terrified of this type of "fan" - which is after all, short for fanatic.
    Well, I would say that Koreans are kinda special in aspects of passion and enthusiasm they have for the people they "support". But fortunately Yuna has her way of dealing with them and appreciating their total, rather uber-ic support for her. She always gives out heart and kisses for them in KnC zone, publicly mentions how lucky she is to have fans like them, and she's never hesitant when it comes to show her gratefulness towards her fans.

I think she really understood and learned to get a hold of herself with her fantastically crazy fandom experiencing GPF in 2008 which was her first competition held at her home country.

vCash

Are you really serious with this statement? How is this "uber fandom" any different from Tea Party or other political fanatics in the U.S.? I live in the U.S., and politics is extremely polarized here. Can you not make blanket statements about a country? As always, it's the most vocal (whether positive or negative) people that are the most visible online and in person, but they are people with extreme opinions who don't necessarily make up the majority. The apathetic and the indifferent simply don't offer their opinions, write blogs, or post on message boards.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by a56 View Post
    Are you really serious with this statement? How is this "uber fandom" any different from Tea Party or other political fanatics in the U.S.? I live in the U.S., and politics is extremely polarized here. Can you not make blanket statements about a country? As always, it's the most vocal (whether positive or negative) people that are the most visible online and in person, but they are people with extreme opinions who don't necessarily make up the majority. The apathetic and the indifferent simply don't offer their opinions, write blogs, or post on message boards.
    Yes, I am seriously asking the question. YMMV.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Yes, I am seriously asking the question. YMMV.
    There're more than 50,000,000 ppl in Korea and as many souls. How can you define people living in a country where you'd never been? Even I who live there couldn't define.
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    The welcome message vid for Yuna has been up!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgC8635f6ls
    Love MK!
    This too will pass away.

vCash

When characterizing a nation or a people, would it be fair after watching a series of WWF or UFC matches to assume American people are intrinsically violent?

I’d like to offer some comments on the examples you cited. Unification Church (Rev. Moon’s followers) has practically negligible presence in Korea, except some businesses they run (there are several companies owned by his organization). I’m a native Korean and have spent more years there than abroad, and I’ve never met or approached by a Rev. Moon follower while in Korea. I spent some years in the US (California) too, and I’ve never met any of his followers among Korean Americans either. I have no idea though how big his church is elsewhere in the US, like in the East Coast states. While in the US, on three different occasions I was randomly approached by his missionaries, once by an American and on two occasions strangely by some Japanese followers of Rev. Moon.

As for speed skaters, there are no cult followings or die-hard fan groups for them in Korea. It's a minor sport there, same as its minor status in the US and elsewhere. They get media coverage and viewership once every four years, as South Korean short-track speed skaters are perennial contenders for gold, but that’s about it.

Yu-Na Kim definitely has a large fan base in Korea. But while it’s true she is widely popular among Koreans, die-hard fan groups I believe belong to a small minority.

Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast