Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I didn't know she had such a central role in the bid. Amazing opportunity for her but lots of pressure at the same time. Not at all familiar with PyeongChang, but best of luck!

vCash

Open Asia to the World article by Yuna Kim

Don't think this has been posted here yet

This was an article published on Sunday in a South African Newspaper, presenting views from the representative athletes rallying support for the honour of hosting the games (I guess Yuna got the centerfold )

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/t...6500026801.jpg

-------------------

Opening Asia to the world

Yuna Kim
    PyeongChang 2018 Bid Ambassador, Vancouver 2010 Figure Skating Gold Medallist

I have never been to South Africa before. I remember finding it on a spinning globe many years ago when I was a child. But last year, I discovered this amazing nation.

I watched the movie Invictus, based on the story of the 1995 Rugby World Cup in South Africa, and it moved my heart. It tells a story of how sport inspires hope for the future and helps a nation fulfill the dream.

Here again in South Africa, I, too, wish to see a dream come true.- PyeongChang's dream.

I wish to see PyeongChang win the right to host the 2018 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games, connect winter sports with a young, dynamic and growing population, and help extend the reach of the Olympic ideal to millions.

Ten years ago, when PyeongChang's dream for the winter games was just beginning, I was a little girl skating at an ice rink in Seoul in pursuit of my own Olympic dream. Watching the winter games as a child enlightened my spirit and gave me the motivation to work hard every day.

Michelle Kwan's silver medal performance at the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics was electrifying. It was like nothing I'd ever seen before. From that day on, I practiced relentlessly, watching her videos and mimicking her moves until I could memorize her every step.

In 2003, after six years of dedicated practice, I was chosen to represent my country. I was the youngest figure skater ever to be selected. I had fallen a thousand times on to the cold ice to perfect jumps that lasted a few seconds.

But the hard work and intense training paid off. I achieved the "grandslam"-becoming the champion of all four major figure skating events: the Grand Prix Final, the Four Continents Championships, the World Championships and the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Now, I have a different Olympic dream- the dream to see the Winter Olympics held in my home country, Korea.

The world has celebrated the Winter Olympics 21 times, but only twice in Asia - and both times in Japan.

I wish for the 2018 Winter Olympics to come to PyeongChang because we believe we can help promote the Olympic values and winter sport to a new generation in a region of the world historically under developed in winter sport.

We can create a new market for winter sports in Asia, home to 60 percent of the world's population, which will drive greater winter sports participation and offer incredible opportunities for winter sports to grow and thrive.

About 1.5 million people from overseas countries came to Korea last year to enjoy our winter sports facilities and spectacular scenery. A Winter Olympics in Korea will inspire young people, and act as a catalyst for further growth and improvement in the region. We aim to offer the Olympic movement and the world of winter sports a legacy of growth and potential like never before.

PyeonChang's bid is also a national priority and we have amazing public support 92 percent of Korean want to see the Winter Olympics in PyeongChang.

Through the international Dream Programme, PyeongChang has kept its promise to the IOC to help expend interest and participation in winter sports among young people across the world.

Since 2004, this programme has provided 935 children from 57 countries the opportunity to experience winter sports for the first time. At least 200 of those children came from the African nations, and it made me so proud to see one of those participants become an Olympic athlete at the Vancouver Winter Olympics last year.

Now, the host city decision for the 2018 games is only a few days away. I wish in earnest that PyeongChang's dream of hosting the Winter Olympics may be ------- in Durnan, South Africa the land of dreams and miracles.

--------------------

Good luck PyeonChang! All shall be revealed in the next 24 hours!!
    Last edited by os168; 07-05-2011 at 10:48 PM.

vCash
    Here is Yuna giving a presentation on behalf of PyongChang on the day of final vote.

I must say she was pretty impressive in delivering the speech.
    I'm not too enthusiastic about all the one time money spending spree of holding the Olympics, but definitely proud to see how Yuna has matured from a gangly kid with braces into a classy lady capable of representing her country so well.
    Kudos to Yuna Kim no matter what the final verdict might be.

vCash

vCash
    FYI, here's the link to the 2018 Winter Olympics bid thread in the Other Sports forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79393

vCash

YuNa to Compete in 2018?

This article includes a quote to the AP that she may be intending to compete in 2018. What kind of unrealistic pressure have they been putting on her?

http://www.universalsports.com/news-...id=540923.html

vCash
    It's amazing how much better Kim's english has gotten in the last and a half since Vancouver isn't it? She is a impressive young woman i have to say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    This article includes a quote to the AP that she may be intending to compete in 2018. What kind of unrealistic pressure have they been putting on her?

She will be 27 / 28 by then?! If she were to compete, her involvement would probably be closer to Witt's involvement in 1994 IMO. I actually think she would make a great Olympic quadrant lighter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post

I think the article is 'just' saying. It could be for performing in her own country, or just for the olympic moment's sake IF she's competing then.

I, for one, would loooooooooove to see her performances even if she's not in competitive shape

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    It's amazing how much better Kim's english has gotten in the last and a half since Vancouver isn't it? She is a impressive young woman i have to say.
    it's very noticeable! she really is something.

vCash
    ^^ I'm pretty sure she practiced that speech night and day! I think she did a very good job with her part of the presentation and I'm happy South Korea finally won. Third time's the charm

vCash

vCash

TV Asahi promised a correction on the distorted news report of Yuna's speech.

Last satuday TV Asahi of Japan aired a short video on Yuna's contribution to Pyeongchang's victory of Winter Olympic 2018 in Durban and showed a short moment of her speech. But the program distorted Yuna's speech and it caused an uproar from here and there.

What Yuna said was
    "Thank you dear IOC members for providing someone like me the opportunity to achieve my dreams and to inspire others."
    But Hodo station(報道ステーション) of TV Asahi translated and subtitled it as below
    私の夢をかなえるために
    他の都市よりも(韓国を) 応援して下さい
    In English) Please support Pyeongchang of Korea rather than other cities to make my dream come true.
    A reporter of JP News sent a written inquiry to the TV Station on the distortion (or mis-translation) and got a reply from it.

We had no intention of depreciating Yuna Kim at all and had a plan to explain the mis-translation, you pointed out, today.
    Source from JP News.

Hmm, there's no "Sorry" but "You pointed it out, so we'll correct it."
    This too will pass away.

vCash
    ^am I not surprised? LOL.

Kim Yu-Na Exhausted After Olympic Bid http://english.chosun.com/site/data/...071100818.html

Yuna Wears It, I Want It Too http://blogs.wsj.com/korearealtime/2...ogle_news_blog

yuna with IOC pres. jacques rogge.. http://uccfs.paran.com//PUD/ra/inmak...0001_700_0.jpg

yuna interview after Pyeongchang winning the bid w/ english subs http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=qd-tc3crJjs

she's back in Korea resting..
    Last edited by riveredge; 07-11-2011 at 06:30 PM.

vCash
    Will Japanese ever stop distorting and manipulating? Their media seem really determined in painting a distorted, negative picture when it comes to Yu-Na or anything related to Korea. It’s pitiful, really. No wonder many Japanese actually think Yu-Na is arrogant and cocky, when fans elsewhere in the world can see her as humble, grounded, and committed to her sport.
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 07-12-2011 at 03:25 PM.

vCash
    They are just pissed that their bid for 2020 Summer Games in Tokyo has gone down the drain after PyongChang triumphed in Durban. It's really childish but their taking out their bitterness and jealousy on Yuna since she played decisive role in PC bid.

vCash
    It's because of trashy overgeneralized posts by the likes of you two that the Yu-Na news thread got moved to the trash can. Keep up the good work.

vCash
    Over-generalizing? I can give you hundreds more cases. And, Trash Can of FSUniverse means garbage to you? That’s misleading and distorting of this fine, fun section of the forum. In that respect, I bet you can be a perfect fit for the Japanese media, who are amazing at distorting words, facts and misleading their own people (Fukushima ring a bell?).

I want to know your opinion on this latest distortion rubbish Japanese TV dumped on the street, only to find themselves fined for the habit, and forced to bring it back to their home and apologize in public (you know that they eventually apologized for and corrected their misleading and distorting translation of Yu-Na's speech at the IOC Assembly, right?)
    Last edited by lowtherlore; 07-13-2011 at 02:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by riveredge View Post
    Enough w/ the japan vs korea talk...

moving on..

yuna attended the "2011 Korean Tourism Star Special Contribution Award" today
    wow she looks radiant! her skin is so porcelain-like and she does look like an actress for that event. just wow.

Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast