Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 860 of 1025
  1. #841
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Torontorontorontorontoronto
    Posts
    403
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    This might not be a "news" but I am just posting here.
    For those who haven't seen,

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIuPm8Ggb3M

    this is Yu-Na's interview clip when she was 11 years old..
    She was having an interview at late night, and saying "I want to go to Olympic games and get a gold medal.."
    .. and she did it! This is real "dream come true".

  2. #842
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Fairfield, CA, USA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    112
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I just watched the NBC and CBC perspectives on Yu-na Kim's superlative/hyperbole-defying performance on YouTube. I've already seen the Universal Sports, BBC, and British Eurosport perspectives. I have to admit, on the night, as I watching the Eurosport stream, I covered my face every time Yu-na jumped. I haven't been that nervous for a skater since the Vancouver fortnight. I was so relieved that she was able to put together two clean performances again. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that Yu-na is not just the best female figure skater in the world; she is THE best figure skater in the world. The quality of women's figure skating has grown over the years and Yu-na has simply taken it to new heights. She absolutely decimated the field, which in and of itself was a quality field, and I think that they've become and are becoming better skaters BECAUSE of what Yu-na has done. Yu-na has simply rewritten the book on figure skating.

    Where the Olympics are concerned, Patrick Chan is going to have to fend off Denis and Javier and the Japanese guys. Meryl and Charlie still have Tessa and Scott to contend with. Tat'yana and Maksim still have Al'ona and Robin to contend with, too. Carolina and Mao, as great as they are, are nowhere near Yu-na. I don't think it's hyperbole to suggest that Yu-na Kim is the Usain Bolt of figure skating. In the world of winter sports, she's up there with the likes of Shaun White, Sidney Crosby, Aleksandr Ovechkin, Petter Northug, Marit Bjoergen, Lindsey Vonn, Maria Riesch, Tina Maze, Sven Kramer, Simon Ammann, Aksel Lund Svindal and Ole Einar Bjoerndalen. I think that she may be among the best athletes of either gender in the world today.

  3. #843
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,173
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I wonder if Yuna would consider trying a 3loop next season? From what I understand, she is healthy now.

    Her current plan of 6 triples and 2 2axels is competitive, but does not blow the field away like what she did in Vancouver of 6 triples and 3 2axels (none in sequence). Now that GOEs have lower value and her content is slightly less ambitious than in Vancouver, she will not have that big a cushion on TES anymore. At Worlds, Asada planned 8 triples and 1 2axel and Gold planned 7 triples and 2 2axels. Even Kostner planned 7 triples and 1 2axel. Same for PCS. She still reigns overall, but Kostner with a fall actually beat her on PCS in the short.

    So, while I think if she could manage to be clean in Sochi she will most likely win again, it appears like her cushion isn't going to be as big against Asada and Kostner as in 2010. And god knows what would happen if Yuna made a mistake and Asada or Kostner went clean...

  4. #844
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    124
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I wonder if Yuna would consider trying a 3loop next season? From what I understand, she is healthy now.

    Her current plan of 6 triples and 2 2axels is competitive, but does not blow the field away like what she did in Vancouver of 6 triples and 3 2axels (none in sequence). Now that GOEs have lower value and her content is slightly less ambitious than in Vancouver, she will not have that big a cushion on TES anymore. At Worlds, Asada planned 8 triples and 1 2axel and Gold planned 7 triples and 2 2axels. Even Kostner planned 7 triples and 1 2axel. Same for PCS. She still reigns overall, but Kostner with a fall actually beat her on PCS in the short.

    So, while I think if she could manage to be clean in Sochi she will most likely win again, it appears like her cushion isn't going to be as big against Asada and Kostner as in 2010. And god knows what would happen if Yuna made a mistake and Asada or Kostner went clean...
    But Yuna jumps three 3Lz + two 3F in SP&LP. (Kostner : one 3Lz + one 3F)
    Of course I will be glad if Yuna brings this layout.

    3Lz-3T
    3F
    3S
    3Lz
    (eagle-)2A-3T-2T http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6K-tp5eoJ4
    3Lo
    (ina bauer-)2A

  5. #845
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    it's way too risky for her to do a 3l at the olympics

    id play it safe. the important thing is going clean.

  6. #846

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    4,353
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3933
    There is no incentive for Yuna to do any of the 'Skating Fan Wishlist for Yuna': By that I mean
    -a 3Loop
    - turnout her leg in a layback
    -stretch her foot in a spiral,
    -resurrect the beilmann
    -non generic Wilson choreography

    I think YuNa will easily win with her current content if she delivers on it. As mentioned, Kostner's content is less ambitious and she's also far less consistent. Asada is ambitious, but even her best performance at 4cc only got 4 triples counted, and not with YuNa's GOE. I think that's why Asada was so dejected on the podium after being quite happy in the KnC...she realized her main competitor was still just as far out of reach.

    The only girls that are going to challenge/exceed Yuna's jump content are going to be much younger, like Gracie, Liza, Zijun, the 2nd Russian (if it's someone like Radionova) and the 3rd American (if its someone like Angela Wang). And none of them is anywhere near competitive on PCS.

  7. #847

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    77
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    There is no incentive for Yuna to do any of the 'Skating Fan Wishlist for Yuna': By that I mean
    -a 3Loop
    - turnout her leg in a layback
    -stretch her foot in a spiral,
    -resurrect the beilmann
    -non generic Wilson choreography

    I think YuNa will easily win with her current content if she delivers on it. As mentioned, Kostner's content is less ambitious and she's also far less consistent. Asada is ambitious, but even her best performance at 4cc only got 4 triples counted, and not with YuNa's GOE. I think that's why Asada was so dejected on the podium after being quite happy in the KnC...she realized her main competitor was still just as far out of reach.

    The only girls that are going to challenge/exceed Yuna's jump content are going to be much younger, like Gracie, Liza, Zijun, the 2nd Russian (if it's someone like Radionova) and the 3rd American (if its someone like Angela Wang). And none of them is anywhere near competitive on PCS.
    I'd love to see her bring back the 3loop, but at the same time, like previous posters have noted, Yu-na's main concern would be 1). go clean and 2). health. From what I've read, the 3loop aggravates her hip which isn't conducive to the second concern. I'd also argue that while it's not perfect, she's been working on her layback. Case in point: http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps74e42d6e.jpg Still could use better turnout, but her foot's no longer hanging in a clunky fashion. Of course, leg turnout isn't all a layback's about; there's also centering, speed, back position, edging, etc. Same to her spiral-- not Kwan-level, but she's been working on it. Her stretch in her free at 2011 Worlds was, imo, noticeably better than her Olympics performance. Lol, people want her to resurrect the bielmann? Idk, I think that's a spin that should be used sparingly; timed correctly, it can raise an audience to its feet but if it's just inserted for points...

  8. #848
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    390
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Not exactly news. Here's a recently aired 1-hour documentary by SBS on Yu-Na's 2012-13 comeback season (English subtitled by a fan):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGAWLnlElH4

  9. #849
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    123
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I wonder if Yuna would consider trying a 3loop next season? From what I understand, she is healthy now.
    But Yuna is not completely healthy even now. It's just now she knows how to manage it relatively okay.
    I remember in a quite recent interview Yuna said her back hurts when she does lay back position, and even the thought of doing lay back cringes her.(it's not her exact word, can't remember what it was, but basically she meant something like this)
    So I highly doubt she will try anything that could cause injuries to her already fragile body. And Loop jump is a proven cause of her injury.

  10. #850
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    Not exactly news. Here's a recently aired 1-hour documentary by SBS on Yu-Na's 2012-13 comeback season (English subtitled by a fan):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGAWLnlElH4
    omg. the clip of a young yuna practicing and crying out in pain is so sad

  11. #851

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    1 mile from Ice Rink
    Posts
    2,978
    vCash
    550
    Rep Power
    2486
    Last edited by RunnersHigh; 04-19-2013 at 07:36 AM.
    This too will pass away.

  12. #852
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Torontorontorontorontoronto
    Posts
    403
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Yu-Na donates her gold prize to UNICEF

    UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Yuna Kim says she will donate her Gold prize money of $45,000 from the World Figure Skating Championships to children with disability.
    In 2011, she already donated her silver prize money of $27,000 from the World Figure Skating Championships to children affected by the Japanese earthquake.


    Related news article in Korean: http://sports.media.daum.net/general...30429150143238

  13. #853

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,565
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41646
    UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador and champion figure skater Yuna Kim appeals for the children of Syria (press release with video): http://www.unicef.org/media/media_69169.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  14. #854
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    115
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Smile

    Yuna Kim, New gala program ‘Imagine’
    http://youtu.be/sJrwTgFt3Ek

    - Emphasis on meaning and message of a song containing delicate expression and gentle acting
    - Yuna Kim "will deliver the message of world peace on top of the ice"
    - Choreographer David Wilson "a work of beauty and expression that can only be felt by Yuna Kim"
    - Plan to unveil for the first time 'Samsung Galaxy★Smart Aircon All That Skate 2013'

    'Queen of Figure Skating' Yuna Kim will deliver the message of peace to the world at the gala program.
    Yuna Kim’s management agency All That Sports revealed on the 4th that Avril Lavigne’s song Imagine was chosen for the new gala program. This year’s program will be unveiled at the ‘Samsung Galaxy★Smart Aircon All That Skate 2013’ on the following 21st through 23rd at the specially installed ice rink in Seoul Olympic Park Gymnastics Stadium.

    The song ‘Imagine’ was originally written by John Lennon in 1971 as a protest of Vietnam War. Yuna Kim’s Avril Lavigne’s version was from compilation album “Make Some Noise” by Amnesty International as an effort to raise funds to improve Sudan’s human rights.
    As a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador since 2010, Yuna Kim plans to share the suffering of war around the world in the hopes of world peace through her delicate expression and gentle acting at this year’s ice show.

    Yuna Kim stated "This year’s gala program ‘Imagine’ is emphasized on message of the song rather than the performance" further stating that she would like to “share the meaning of this year’s program with a lot of people and wishes they will enjoy the show.”

    This year’s program choreographer David Wilson stated "the song for the new gala program ‘Imagine’ is one of mine and Yuna’s favorite and since Yuna was familiar with the song, we were able to choreograph in depth", "the composition of the song is simple but carries deep meaning therefore hard to translate, but we were able to create the perfect piece due to easy to collaboration since Yuna fully understands the song." In addition, David commented that "natural thought for the world rises if you picture the lyrics while listening to the song" and his anticipation of the show stating "the world will love Yuna’s ‘Imagine’ as they will see and feel the expression, delicacy, and gentle beauty that only she can deliver."

    ‘Samsung Galaxy★ Smart Aircon All That Skate 2013’ will be held at Seoul Olympic Gymnastic Stadium’s specialized ice rink on June 21st through 23rd. For detailed information on ‘Samsung Galaxy★ Smart Aircon All That Skate 2013’ go to the official website
    www.allthatskate.com.
    http://yunakimfan.com/2013/06/05/32004/

  15. #855
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere, beyond the sea...
    Posts
    1,863
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Lovely song and beautiful message but the fact that she went with Avirl Lavigne's version instead of the original Lennon version or at least a better vocalist/talent than Avirl Lavigne makes me sad. Iconic songs like that are often done best by the original. I'm sure it will be a lovely program though...

  16. #856
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In little Yuna's Corner
    Posts
    773
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Lovely song and beautiful message but the fact that she went with Avirl Lavigne's version instead of the original Lennon version or at least a better vocalist/talent than Avirl Lavigne makes me sad. Iconic songs like that are often done best by the original. I'm sure it will be a lovely program though...
    maybe because the avril's version is more current?? but i would have preferred john lennon's version though.

  17. #857

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    126
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I was confused too about Avril version, but I think back when I fell in love with Yuna's Someone Like You, I even didn't care about Adele's voice So I'm sure this time will still great no matter what, just all about Yuna

  18. #858
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,708
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Avril covered Imagine? What's next Britney doing Stairway to Heaven?

  19. #859
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Avril covered Imagine?

    It's not as bad as you think.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CP8kI6FqRlI

  20. #860
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by puretea View Post
    Yuna Kim, New gala program ‘Imagine’
    http://youtu.be/sJrwTgFt3Ek

    - Emphasis on meaning and message of a song containing delicate expression and gentle acting
    - Yuna Kim "will deliver the message of world peace on top of the ice"
    - Choreographer David Wilson "a work of beauty and expression that can only be felt by Yuna Kim"
    - Plan to unveil for the first time 'Samsung Galaxy★Smart Aircon All That Skate 2013'

    'Queen of Figure Skating' Yuna Kim will deliver the message of peace to the world at the gala program.
    Yuna Kim’s management agency All That Sports revealed on the 4th that Avril Lavigne’s song Imagine was chosen for the new gala program. This year’s program will be unveiled at the ‘Samsung Galaxy★Smart Aircon All That Skate 2013’ on the following 21st through 23rd at the specially installed ice rink in Seoul Olympic Park Gymnastics Stadium.

    The song ‘Imagine’ was originally written by John Lennon in 1971 as a protest of Vietnam War. Yuna Kim’s Avril Lavigne’s version was from compilation album “Make Some Noise” by Amnesty International as an effort to raise funds to improve Sudan’s human rights.
    As a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador since 2010, Yuna Kim plans to share the suffering of war around the world in the hopes of world peace through her delicate expression and gentle acting at this year’s ice show.

    Yuna Kim stated "This year’s gala program ‘Imagine’ is emphasized on message of the song rather than the performance" further stating that she would like to “share the meaning of this year’s program with a lot of people and wishes they will enjoy the show.”

    This year’s program choreographer David Wilson stated "the song for the new gala program ‘Imagine’ is one of mine and Yuna’s favorite and since Yuna was familiar with the song, we were able to choreograph in depth", "the composition of the song is simple but carries deep meaning therefore hard to translate, but we were able to create the perfect piece due to easy to collaboration since Yuna fully understands the song." In addition, David commented that "natural thought for the world rises if you picture the lyrics while listening to the song" and his anticipation of the show stating "the world will love Yuna’s ‘Imagine’ as they will see and feel the expression, delicacy, and gentle beauty that only she can deliver."

    ‘Samsung Galaxy★ Smart Aircon All That Skate 2013’ will be held at Seoul Olympic Gymnastic Stadium’s specialized ice rink on June 21st through 23rd. For detailed information on ‘Samsung Galaxy★ Smart Aircon All That Skate 2013’ go to the official website
    www.allthatskate.com.
    http://yunakimfan.com/2013/06/05/32004/

    Great Yuna!!!

Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •