Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The only people who can beat Yu-Na at 80% are probably Ashley or Mao, but both of them would have to be 100%+ in order for that to happen.

If Yu-Na's 3-3 (whether 3Lz-3T or 3F-3T) is back and the rest of her jumps are good, she'll be at the top with no problem. But if she's a little sloppy (ie. like she was at worlds in 2011) I don't think the judges will hold her up over someone if they skate lights out.

vCash
    Hoping her physical and mental conditioning will be at its best when it counts. The lack of competition experience could be the toughest challenge come Worlds, so it is a prudent move for her to be getting her programs out there and experiencing competition once again. With Four Continents in Asia this year, I wonder if she will plan on competing there as well. If she does, you can bet tickets will be sold out in a heart beat.

vCash
    She won’t be competing at 4CC due to schedule conflict with Special Olympics in PyeongChang which is to be held in the same period. Her only other competition event between NRW and Worlds will be Korean Nationals in January.

vCash
    boy, this thread has been crawling since 2010!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    She won’t be competing at 4CC due to schedule conflict with Special Olympics in PyeongChang which is to be held in the same period. Her only other competition event between NRW and Worlds will be Korean Nationals in January.
    Hmm, I know she already has commitments to the Special Olympics and will not back out of it but it would be smart for her to compete at 4CC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawnie View Post
    Hmm, I know she already has commitments to the Special Olympics and will not back out of it but it would be smart for her to compete at 4CC.
    Who knows, maybe the Special Olympics commitment takes higher priority in her book than the preparation for the Worlds.

And I wonder how high a value or credential she would place on the ISU World title itself, after she had witnessed a skater who skipped 20 pages out of 250 in 2008 and another skater who memorized a dummy-series pamphlet in 2011 being handed out the gold.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lowtherlore View Post
    Who knows, maybe the Special Olympics commitment takes higher priority in her book than the preparation for the Worlds.

And I wonder how high a value or credential she would place on the ISU World title itself, after she had witnessed a skater who skipped 20 pages out of 250 in 2008 and another skater who memorized a dummy-series pamphlet in 2011 being handed out the gold.
    Tell us how you really feel about the Japanese skaters.

vCash
    Yu-Na at the SP order draw: http://sports.media.daum.net/general...21208061025705

She will be skating 31st out of 36.

vCash
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuZN9...ature=youtu.be

Yuna's SP is up on YT. Monstrous jumps, indeed! Something that have been missed from current ladies field.

vCash
    ^ It must have been quickly removed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^ It must have been quickly removed.
    I think it was just pasted in wrong in the original post..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuZN9NJpPXo

vCash
    ^ Thanks! It looks like a good program for Yu Na re the music and the choreo. The video isn't sharp enough to see how well she's emoting, but for her debut of this program, not bad. I'd like to see something more fierce and edgy in the styling of her costume to fit the theme of the music. Plus I think she needs to ramp it up re more emotion and expressing the music because right now it looks more like she's going through the motions of getting through the program, but it was a decent job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^ Thanks! It looks like a good program for Yu Na re the music and the choreo. The video isn't sharp enough to see how well she's emoting, but for her debut of this program, not bad. I'd like to see something more fierce and edgy in the styling of her costume to fit the theme of the music. Plus I think she needs to ramp it up re more emotion and expressing the music because right now it looks more like she's going through the motions of getting through the program, but it was a decent job.
    In this interview Yuna mentions her being less emoting and focusing on elements more.
    "My main goal today was to get at least 28 technical points, which are required now to be allowed to go to worlds again; therefore, I concentrated more on the technical aspect here and not so much on expression," Kim said. "I know that I have to work more on [adding] emotion in the future, but tomorrow, in the free skate, I will have less stress."
    "I tried to stay calm because if you get nervous, you sometimes make silly mistakes," she said. "As this is a small competition here, it is easier to stay calm. I got nervous only a few minutes before the competition, but I still could do my routine well and I am happy overall with my performance today. I will do a level check after the competition and see where I can improve."

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    The jumps are great. However, her leg line is one of the ugliest in figure skating. Her foot is perpetually flexed and knee never stretched out. Very sloppy, unpolished look. Despite the excellent jumping techniques and other athletic qualities, I can never be a fan.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I agree with the feet part. I have always been distracted by that and although I do like her other great qualities, her feet have always bothered me. You would think someone would have addressed that over the years, but why bother if you're already rewarded with fantastic marks? It's in the eye of the beholder, i guess.

That was a well skated program and you can see she is well on her way to being competitive with the top ladies again.

vCash
    I do think her line and feet are not so pretty as Alissa or Mao, but I have never been distracted by it at all. Especially when I watch live, I was always awed by her skating. Some people complains about her spins and spiral, but they were very impressive at live - it was fast! OTOH, Mao has very beautiful line and position in her spins and spirals, but it was so slow, so it distracted me a lot. I think it's a personal preference.
    Anyway, Yuna was gorgeous as usual! Welcome back, Yuna!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I have seen Yuna live. As mentioned, below the ankle she is a great skater as well as an extremely beautiful jumper. But figure skating is more than jumps and speed skating IMO. This used to be my beef with Carolina Kostner until she morphed into a sophisticated artist.

You are right, liv, why should Yuna correct anything about her skating when the judges reward her with huge scores already? She should get big tech and SS scores but the rest of PCS should reflect the lack of aesthetic effort but never does.

Her Bielmann position bothers me as well. Not that it should make it or break it but I wonder how she did on her spins, level-wise.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 12-09-2012 at 06:30 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Figure skating is more than pretty position (or beautiful feet?!) IMO I'd like to see someone who can land jumps, skate beautifully with effortless speed, express nuance of the music very well. Pretty feet without jumps, speed, musicality, artistry is nothing to me at all. I'd rather see ballet...
    And personally, I don't think Yuna's line that ugly. Not beautiful, but not ugly IMO. All of these are personal taste and preference, so we can't tell who's right or who is wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I have seen Yuna live. As mentioned, below the ankle she is a great skater as well as an extremely beautiful jumper. But figure skating is more than jumps and speed skating IMO. This used to be my beef with Carolina Kostner until she morphed into a sophisticated artist.

You are right, liv, why should Yuna correct anything about her skating when the judges reward her with huge scores already? She should get big tech and SS scores but the rest of PCS should reflect the lack of aesthetic effort but never does.

Her Bielmann position bothers me as well. Not that it should make it or break it but I wonder how she did on her spins, level-wise.
    Which pcs item is affected by leg line?
    YuNa's past performances are each one of the most beautiful and spectacular in history for many skating fans. There may be people who don't like her performance, but there are many more who love it.
    Last edited by lakewood; 12-09-2012 at 09:02 AM.

vCash
    IMO her line is absolutely fine, exquisite even, above her feet. That has been my lingering feelings whenever I watch her layback spin or spiral, wishing she could stretch them a bit more, but she maintains amazing speed throughout, and like I said, her above-feet-line is as much balletic as one can get. So, I don't think she lacks aesthetic effort in her performances at all.
    Last edited by l'etoile; 12-09-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Page 40 of 52 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast