Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Ilia Kulik never won the world championship. His best finish was a silver in 1996. I know you are talking about World or Olympic champions. Urmanov is in the same boat as Kulik's except that his LP performance was not a slam dunk like Kulik's. It could have gone either way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Petra Burka -

First woman to do a triple. She was '65 World Champ and bronze-medalist at '66 Worlds, right? She had a lot going for her. Any one know why she didn't just stick with it thru '68 and the Grenoble Olympics?

According to her mother/coach she could also do all of her jumps in both directions.

I read somewhere (either Cranston memoirs or Ellen Burka interview in IFS) that when Petra got the bronze in at Worlds in '66 the feeling was that the figure skating establishment had annointed Peggy Fleming as the chosen one and there was no point for Petra to continue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    According to her mother/coach she could also do all of her jumps in both directions.

I read somewhere (either Cranston memoirs or Ellen Burka interview in IFS) that when Petra got the bronze in at Worlds in '66 the feeling was that the figure skating establishment had annointed Peggy Fleming as the chosen one and there was no point for Petra to continue.
    Thanks. Sounds like she just gave up? If everyone did that, there'd be no competition

vCash
    Peggy in her book said Petra went on a crash diet and looked smaller and alot less powerful going into the 66 Worlds. And she said that is when she knew she could win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    (sadly), You won't be seeing many of those combinations these days, because in the CoP era, there really isn't any incentive to do double-triple combinations because the base value isn't increased vs. a triple-double combination.
    You make a good point, but I think 2-3 combinations would be rewarded with GOE. While GOE has been reduced, it's still significant. Also, it's great training for 3-3 combos, imo.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

For those who are saying Hughes was a fluke, I'd say she was more lucky than anything. Not quite a fluke. She was 7th in '99, 5th in '00, 3rd in 01 and 1st in 02, at least at the Games. Her 3rd place in 01 was by a very narrow margin over Maria B. Can't recall the details of 99 and 00, but we all know how close '02 was as well. Sarah repeatedly put herself in the right place at the right time and eventually triumphed. Not really a fluke. Kimmie won her first worlds, but barely caught a whiff of any international podium before or after that. That's more of a fluke that Sarah's gold, as much as I feel mean for saying so. Both Kimmie and Sarah benefitted GREATLY from the lax judging standards of their day.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123