View Poll Results: What was the best figure skating Olympic Games?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1984 Sarajevo

6 3.08%
  • 1988 Calgary

25 12.82%
  • 1992 Albertville

6 3.08%
  • 1994 Lillehammer

37 18.97%
  • 1998 Nagano

19 9.74%
  • 2002 Salt Lake City

25 12.82%
  • 2006 Torino

10 5.13%
  • 2010 Vancouver

67 34.36%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    If you put the competitions of 2006 up against 2010 this is how everyone would have placed skating as they did:

Pairs:

Gold- Totmianina & Marinin 2006 (sorry S&Z fans, if they even lost the LP to P&T they would have had no chance against T&M of 2006)
    Silver- Shen & Zhou 2010
    Bronze- Zhang & Zhang 2006
    4th- Pang & Tong 2010
    5th- Shen & Zhou 2006
    6th- Pang & Tong 2006
    7th- Savchenko & Szolkowy 2010
    8th- Petrova & Tikhonov 2006

Men:

Gold- Plushenko 2006 (by a landslide, over 20 points probably)

----huge gap----

Silver- Lysacek 2010
    Bronze- Lambiel 2006
    4th- Plushenko 2010
    5th- Takahashi 2010
    6th- Buttle 2006
    7th- Lysacek 2006
    8th- Lambiel 2010

Dance:

Gold- Virtue & Moir 2010
    Silver- Navka & Kostomarov 2006
    Bronze- Belbin & Agosto 2006
    4th- Davis & White 2010
    5th- Grushina & Goncharov 2006
    6th- Delobel & Schoenfelder 2006
    7th- Denkova & Stayviski 2006
    8th- Belbin & Agosto 2010

Ladies:

Gold- Yu Na Kim 2010
    Silver- Shizuka Arakawa 2006
    Bronze- Mao Asada 2010
    4th- Sasha Cohen 2006
    5th- Joannie Rochette 2010
    6th- Mirai Nagasu 2010
    7th- Irina Slutskaya 2006
    8th- Fumie Suguri 2006

Overall 2006 would do better.

Pairs:T/M maybe technically, but artistically BORING! so BORING it deserved to be mentionned at least twice! and Z/Z third! no comment!

Dance: D/W clearly 2nd in my opinion, and definitely not behind B/A 2006

Ladies: cohen 4th, certainly not based on the FS please ! And the SP wasn't that great, so definitely not in front of Rochette overall for me.

Men: just like pairs, you seems to be captivated by the most boring program. Figures skating is not just about Jump you know. But that's your choice and I respect that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chmea View Post
    Pairs:T/M maybe technically, but artistically BORING! so BORING it deserved to be mentionned at least twice! and Z/Z third! no comment!
    Pang & Tong skated just as well in 2006 as 2010 and still couldnt beat Z/Z in 2006 so why would it be any different.

And the fact S&Z lost the LP and nearly the gold to P&T in 2010 makes it 100% certain they were losing to the 2006 T&M with their 2010 performances no matter how boring you think they were.

Dance: D/W clearly 2nd in my opinion, and definitely not behind B/A 2006
    Who knows, I find D/W overrated anyway. I dont even neccessarily think they were better than B/A in 2010, the USFSA just decided to start backing the future. I think B/A with the backing as U.S #1 like they had in 06 would be able to beat D/W of 2010. And a team who had never even won a World medal going into the Games like D&W in 2010 would never beat a dominant team at their best like N&K in 2006. Not a chance. And since D&W were so artistically generic and so lacking in lines and polish compared to N&K I wouldnt say they deserved to either, even if technically they are arguably as good or better a the 2006 N&K.

Ladies: cohen 4th, certainly not based on the FS please ! And the SP wasn't that great, so definitely not in front of Rochette overall for me.
    Rochette's 2010 bronze medal performances were not so great. Why do you think so many even complain about her beating Nagasu all this time after the Games. 2006 Cohen's spins, spirals, footwork, and PCS would all easily beat Rochette. Rochette would have to outscore her on jumps by a huge amount to beat her.

Men: just like pairs, you seems to be captivated by the most boring program. Figures skating is not just about Jump you know. But that's your choice and I respect that!
    I like most was not captivated by anything the top men of either 2006 or 2010 men did so what difference does it make. If you want captivating then we would be talking about Yagudin's 2002 performance, Boitano's 1988 performances, Kulik's 1998 performances, but we are only talking about 2006 and 2010 so those dont matter here. Fact is Plushenko of 2006 was 3 times better than 2010 no matter how boring he was to you, and he so nearly won in 2010. Plushenko of 2006 would have destroyed the 2010 field whether he was that enjoyable or not. Could you seriously imagine a skater like Lysacek, especialy without a quad, even coming close to a prime Plushenko ever, ROTFL!! It is too bad the truly captivating skaters (certainly not Lysacek) like Takahashi, Lambiel, or Buttle could never skate clean programs with all the jumps. If I were a judge I would have given Takahashi the gold in 2010 anyway since after he splatted on his quad the rest of his skating was far beyond anything Plushenko or Lysacek did.

My results btw are how the judges would have had the two competitions together. If I went with my own personal opinions alot would change but probably overall be even more heavily in favor of 2010 vs 2006. Anyway neither were even close to the best Olympics ever so it is moot. 2010 leading the poll makes me laugh however.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 12-22-2010 at 02:26 AM.

vCash
    I'd say Torino and Vancouver were pretty close.
    The 1-2 Vancouver ice dance couples were surely technically superior to 2006 ones. But places 3-----> are pretty comparable.
    In ladies skating Yuna and Mao set the highest level of technical difficulty, but 3---> placements were no better than Torino 2--->. Saying that, I would choose Shizuka's skating over Yuna's at any day, even though the latter has an outstanding jumping content.
    In pairs - TT/MM would have easily won Vancouver with the same programs and skates as they showed in Torino. If exciting means O faces to never ending bombastic music that is aimed to hide lack of lines - well, its okay . S/S could have been a breakthrough couple in Vancouver, had they skated their innovative and unhacked programs clean, but unfortunately they lost due to the pressure.
    And finally the 2010 men's competition was no better than 2006.

And I'd say - they best games were either 1992 or 1994
    The number of names, signature programs and drama exceeds even what there was in 2002.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    No. 2010 has the most votes because of the quality of skating. Please show me another major competition in which the final ladies flight has zero falls. That's one point for starters.
    2010 has the most votes because the majority of people voting have never seen a pre 21st century Olympics!

vCash
    The ladies event in 2010 was the greatest ever but that is only 1 of the 4 disciplines of skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    The problem I have with Lillehammer is the ladies event. Oksana Baiul as an Olympic champion is still something really painful to me !
    This. Equally painful is hearing how the final result all came down to Jan Hoffmann's marks for Bauil and Kerrigan. It had nothing to do with that; it was because certain judges gave Bauil very inflated tech. marks and Kerrigan far lower tech marks than she deserved for a program with a 3-3 combo, something Bauil lacked.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Calgary '88!!!

The glitz! The glam! The rivalries! Big poofy 80's skating hair on the gals AND the guys!
    Yeah, I would say this was a good Olympics. I remember watching it, and have refreshed by watching clips on YouTube, because I don't have tapes of this (the first OG I have on tape is 1994, because my mother is Norwegian and wanted us to tape the whole Games!).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    This. Equally painful is hearing how the final result all came down to Jan Hoffmann's marks for Bauil and Kerrigan. It had nothing to do with that; it was because certain judges gave Bauil very inflated tech. marks and Kerrigan far lower tech marks than she deserved for a program with a 3-3 combo, something Bauil lacked.
    Exactly. Of all the judges who voted for Baiul, Hoffmann's way of doing so was the most justified. He deserves none of the unfair slant given to him by CBS. The biggest culprit of all was the Czech judge Jarmila Portova who gave Baiul an absurd 5.9 for technical merit. As she had given Kerrigan 5.8 technical, 5.9 artistic, Baiul's victory would not have happened without that particular proposterous mark for her technically inferior program. The Ukraine judge who has former ties to Baiul and is one of the most corrupt judges in the sport is another to look at. He found a way to place Baiul 1st in the short program with a badly two footed combo, and then again placed her 1st in the long program via the technical mark and not the artistic too.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    The most recent events always win these polls so I throw out the results for Vancouver and look at the rest. Lillehammer wins! It was also my vote!

To the person who combined placements from 2006 and 2010, there is no way Cohen would have been above Rochette. No way!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123