vCash

Help re: Facebook friends' gaming activity

I tried using Facebook's help, as well as Googling - I guess I am describing it incorrectly. I'm hoping someone can help....

My aunt and a friend's wife are both FB friends of mine. However, they play those endless games (Farmville, Solitaire, etc.) and 95% of their wall is game-related. How do I shut off the game news and see the actual news? I could care less what is growing on Farmville, but I do care about them and don't want to shut them off entirely!

vCash
    On your Newsfeed on the right hand side is an invisible X, the next time you see these game posts, place your mouse of the post and an X wil appear, click on it, several options will appear, "Hide Person, Hide Application, etc...'' click Hide Application and that should do the trick.

vCash
    That worked, thanks! I'm pretty good at computers, but sometimes I find FB baffling!

vCash
    That's because they change how it works every 10 minutes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCirque View Post
    That's because they change how it works every 10 minutes.
    , more like every five minutes.

vCash
    Yes, and I am "offline" status as people I barely know would chat with me. Ugh and the games...
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    Yes, and I am "offline" status as people I barely know would chat with me. Ugh and the games...
    1) Don't be friends with people you don't know
    2) If it's even an option to chat with non-friends, then don't set "chat" to anyone but friends.

vCash
    I play Farmville, but I try to do as little as possible that posts to news feeds or on people's walls. You don't actually have to do all of those notifications.

I keep getting notifications that people have accepted my friend request when I didn't request their friendship. Is this happening to anyone else? In both cases, it wasn't someone I wanted to be friends with, but didn't feel like I could just immediately delete them. One of them was a former student and I do not ask to add my former students. If they ask to add me, that's one thing, but now I feel really weird about this student.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Allen... just delete them and don't obsess about it. My work, family and true friend circles have very little overlap, yet someone at work keeps sending friend requests because I'm friends with another co-worker. I have to continually remind him that my Facebook circle is small (true) and is limited to family and very close friends. He still doesn't get it, likely because his definition of a FB friend is quite different than mine.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    Allen... just delete them and don't obsess about it. My work, family and true friend circles have very little overlap, yet someone at work keeps sending friend requests because I'm friends with another co-worker. I have to continually remind him that my Facebook circle is small (true) and is limited to family and very close friends. He still doesn't get it, likely because his definition of a FB friend is quite different than mine.
    My circle on facebook is not quite as limited as yours, Aceon, but at the same time, I didn't really want to be friends with these people. So far, they haven't bothered me or posted on my wall much, so I'm just going to see how it goes.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    I have two FB pages; a personal one, and one for school. My students all know they can request friendship on the second, but I will not make requests of them. I've had a few people I barely know request friendship on both pages, and I just ignore them. I maintain as much control as possible over both pages, but it's like I tell my students -- once you put it out there, you can't get it back (check out http://www.archive.org/), and don't ever assume anything you put out there is private. Given some of the things they still put out there, I'm not sure they believe the first, and don't really care about the second -- yet.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    I'm guilty of putting a lot of gaming posts out, sometimes to a point where it annoys me. But the nature of the game I play makes it necessary to do it if I want to advance in the game. But I let all my friends know how to make them disappear, and occasionally remind them just in case they missed the first 4 times.

vCash
    I made the mistake of letting some people who play farmville with a friend of mine add me to play farmville. I work with many of them in an organization I volunteer for, so I don't want to delete them, but I've put many of them on hide so I don't have to see their ultra-conservative rants.

vCash
    Double Post
    Last edited by Allen; 12-19-2010 at 04:41 PM.

vCash
    I, too, like playing the games and but don't necessarily like that you have to bug others to do it... and I know not everyone knows how to hide notifications from certain apps... so the more the word about this feature gets out there, the better!

I wish facebook had an option to only post to the feeds of those who also played the game but they don't. There is a way to make your own custom list, and I do that sometimes, but it's a pain to keep updated and every. single. time. I post a notification, I have to change the security settings to post to only that group... and it takes 3 or 4 clicks to get there... it's a big pain.

I do add people just to play games.. but they get added to a special group that can't see anything on my profile and I hide all their updates too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erica Lee View Post
    I do add people just to play games.. but they get added to a special group that can't see anything on my profile and I hide all their updates too.
    I started to do that, and I did end up hiding some people, but some of the people are really nice and post intelligent comments to my status updates, so I like having them around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    My circle on facebook is not quite as limited as yours, Aceon, but at the same time, I didn't really want to be friends with these people. So far, they haven't bothered me or posted on my wall much, so I'm just going to see how it goes.
    I am really hidden on facebook so that unless you know someone who is a friend of mine, you really can't find me. and until recently even if you knew a friend of mine you couldn't find me.

My college roommate couldn't find me. We lost communication (mostly on my part) for several years. Just recently through Christmas cards we re-connected and I sent out a facebook friend request. She wasn't able to find.

I don't post my game status' (occasionally one or two get through) because I know that it is annoying.

vCash
    After reading this thread I went and got rid of a lot of the game stuff on mine. Since I don't put a lot up on my own, the only things showing were the game stuff. How boring!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    I don't post my game status' (occasionally one or two get through) because I know that it is annoying.
    And we love you for that!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I accept any friend request. I do that because people who follow my blog want to be my friend on Facebook and I think that's reasonable of them. But because of that, I'm very careful about what I put up there. I consider my FB page to be an extension of my public persona and not part of my personal life.

As for the notices sent out by games, I go back and forth. I only play two games and one only posts to your wall about something completely boring to others so I don't post it. But the other does all these things where, if you post a message to your friends' wall, they can get bonuses in the game. I go through periods where I don't post them anyway and periods where I post them so my friends can get the bonuses. I wish I could send them only to friends who play the game but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker