Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 193
  1. #141
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    434
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

  2. #142
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,385
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    ETA: Whatever distinction you make between males looking for receptive partners and females looking for a suitable partner is false. It is an instinctual dynamic interaction that has existed since the origins of sex, way before humans, monkeys, rodents, etc.
    Woo, such a serious case. Going into serious analysis, so, please explain your theory. Because saying only "it's false" to make up a point is not an analysis. I explained that what I said is actually from an ahthropologic study.
    By the way what is your point here ? Because "dynamic interaction" looks rather like a pompous obscure langage rather than a clear explanation.
    Also I never said there were not interactions between genders. So what is you theory that you seem to want so much to oppose ?

  3. #143

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    Posts
    7,812
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    21703
    ^ I'll note what you did and did not question, and leave it at that. I really do not have the time or the typing skills to explain game theory models and their role in signal theory on a forum. (I don't even know if this space would accept equations.)

    BTW, I find how you try to validated your personal preference with science while invalidating others extremely obnoxious. People rarely use science to develop personal preferences. Furthermore, snippets of scientific work often focus on the generalized majority, but that does not mean the minority, which can be a huge proportion, is abnormal or unsuccessful. Furthermore, the most successful in an environment are generally a minority, while the majority that settles around an average are just that, average.

    Maybe you should have asked youself, "Why would women look at butts?" or even ask on the forum before declaring yourself right and others wrong because you happen to know that men do like to look at butts (with which I do agree). Men are not the complete opposite of women, just different.

    ETA: Oh, yeah, and when people say they are using a source but provide no citation, then I just assume they are not really using a source. The same goes for when people throughout statistics.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 01-08-2011 at 08:13 PM.

  4. #144
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,385
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    My only point was to explain that the fact of watching butts is something that has anthropologic origin when it's males looking at females (scientifically proved). And when it's females looking at males butts it's because of other reasons (aesthetic, sociologic,...). That's it.
    Women are looking for virility features though.
    The fact that I personnally don't look that much at males butts (like many others) is an exemple showing that this is not something genetically printed in women's genetic's memory.

    You can desagree with scientific studies, but in that case you should provide a study of scientific quality. Talking about equations that have nothing to do with the discussion to prove whatever you believe in just doesn't prove anything.

  5. #145

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    Posts
    7,812
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    21703
    Where is your own study, genius?

    Maybe you are genetically flawed?

    Back to the ignore list with you.

    ETA: Why would somebody quote anthropology to prove something is genetic?

    Who would ever use there personal preference to support the claims of science?

    Why would somebody feel the need to support their opinion with anthropological/genetic hog wash in a discussion about "Funny comments made by non-figure skating fans about the sport".

    Why do I not choose to ignore people more often?
    Last edited by bardtoob; 01-08-2011 at 08:42 PM.

  6. #146
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    358
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    My partner has turned into a casual fan because of me but little else. He has a big mouth so his comments are and He tends to describe the skaters because most of the time he can't remember their names -

    Rachael Flatt is the 'chubby girl'
    Mirai Nagasu is the 'girl whose parents own the Sushi Restaurant'
    Joubert is considered hot, cuz he'll stop what he's doing to watch Joubert skate.

    He also has a view on who is interesting to watch and who isn't -

    Lysacek and Lambiel skate with passion, but Chan doesn't. Alissa Czisny and Sasha Cohen are the only interesting US ladies, even excludes Kwan. Butyrskaya was gorgeous and graceful while Slutskaya 'skates like a truck driver'

    I also wonder how many other casual fans are turned off by his opinion - how can someone fall so often and still win??
    My co-worker sounds like your partner, she does not know anything about skating, watched D/W on TV during Oly, said Meryl looked like movie star, Avatar

  7. #147

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    bowing down to Robert Lepage
    Posts
    3,415
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5645
    As far as thread drifts go - I give this one some serious GOE

  8. #148

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,471
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3806
    So do I
    Addicted to FSU

  9. #149

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In Canuck Land, hey!
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,820
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2416
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    As far as thread drifts go - I give this one some serious GOE
    I was thinking the drift was at least 4 feet ... it's winter and I'm weary of snow but not winter sports.
    Crazy about sports!

  10. #150

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    7,158
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    44806
    I heard all of these:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...7&postcount=68

    Plus the guy said, "I'm tired of those guys at the Olympics...like the winner Johnny Weir, and that Kevin Lysacek".

  11. #151
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,941
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Another story-

    I was back in rural PA for my Grandmother's funeral service and I managed to catch the Ladies SP of the '99 World Championships at my parents house. My BIL, whose only hobbies are the Pittsburgh Steelers and Hunting, was unable to understand how Sarah Hughes was behind Michelle Kwan with a fall in the SP. He kept trying to tell me that the sport wasn't worth watching because the events were pre-decided.

  12. #152
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,385
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post

    Why do I not choose to ignore people more often?
    Because you like to enter into contradiction with people without trying to understand their point. When you start to understand that you don't have any relevant argument, you get angry like you just did and start grumbeling.

  13. #153
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    68
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Three years ago I had to do a gymnastics lesson to my class at high school instead of the teacher. Needless to say that I choose as the main argument figure skating! I started showing a video with all the elements made by some skaters such as plushenko, stephane lambiel, sasha cohen and carolina kostner.

    My teacher went out with lots of silly things and I was like
    The best was:

    "The FLIPPER is a very nice jump!"

  14. #154
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Age
    21
    Posts
    14,081
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanja90 View Post
    Three years ago I had to do a gymnastics lesson to my class at high school instead of the teacher. Needless to say that I choose as the main argument figure skating! I started showing a video with all the elements made by some skaters such as plushenko, stephane lambiel, sasha cohen and carolina kostner.

    My teacher went out with lots of silly things and I was like
    The best was:

    "The FLIPPER is a very nice jump!"

  15. #155
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    68
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I have another story...well it's not about silly commets it was...fun!

    I was watching the ladies long at worlds 2008 on tv with my mum (it was the first time she had watched a competition)..carolina was in first and it was mao's turn...Right when she started my mum said:

    "If she skate well she'll be first over carolina?"
    "Yes, very likely!" I answered
    "Ok...maybe she fall!"

    Slam on the 3axel


    My mum frozen and screamed to the tv:
    "No no! I'm sorry I didn't want to say that! sorry sorry sorry! Get up! C'mon get up!"

    I was like...

  16. #156
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Age
    34
    Posts
    724
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    During Timothy Goebel's exhibition to Arms Wide Open My mom insisted that he did not interpret the music well because he did a spread eagle with one arm out and one behind his back. She was insistent that both arms needed to be out to "match the lyrics."

  17. #157
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Holland - Land of the Dutch
    Age
    37
    Posts
    399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Comments of non-fans can show how just watching skating once or sometimes can result in a certain image of some skaters or figure skating in general.

    Eurosport showed Baiul in 2005 Oberstdorf Gala and my daughter said: "I hope she doesn't cry anymore."

    (she also enjoys watching me cry during or after certain movies and skating programs, sometimes both my children watch parts of Euros or Worlds with me, simply to watch me become nervous for skaters I like)

    During medal ceremonies of Turin 2006 my daughter wondered why winners received cd's on the podium.

    When Weir skated to Lady Gaga music last year she said she understood his choice of music, because "they both have something going for strange outfits".

    During anouncement of a gala performance by Lambiel, the anouncer said "... en nu de huidige wereldkampioen", she remarked "ja, ja, ik weet dat hij een huid heeft..." which is difficult to translate and more about a language misunderstanding. (she was about 9 at the time)

    Not very funny, but shows how figure skating is still viewed by non-skatingfans and which parts of figure skating attract their attention.

  18. #158
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Holland - Land of the Dutch
    Age
    37
    Posts
    399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post


    But the best thing I always laugh at, is when I tell someone I'm going to a skating event and they ask me "are you going there to compete?" lol that's just so absurd taken that they never see me going to any practices and there's actually NO real ice rink in my city
    People always ask me the same when I just reply I like figure skating after they want to know my hobbies. Nowadays I either don't mention it or I make sure to add the word 'watch'.

    Asking me that question is very strange since I often wear Pakistani traditional clothing, ever seen someone like that taking part in a figure skating competition? I don't think so. Perhaps after many decades it will happen. We've had our first Indian competitors some time ago at Worlds. Maybe when they will do better, figure skating will become more populair there and in Pakistan.

  19. #159

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,735
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14921
    When I tell folks I follow skating, many have asked - did you skate? Just on ponds and never learned to skate backwards.

    But are fans of basketball, football, etc asked if they played?
    I follow college basketball (yea UConn) but never asked if I played (I did in high school), but I did go to school at UConn.

  20. #160
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,332
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    When I tell folks I follow skating, many have asked - did you skate? Just on ponds and never learned to skate backwards.

    But are fans of basketball, football, etc asked if they played?
    I follow college basketball (yea UConn) but never asked if I played (I did in high school), but I did go to school at UConn.
    I think people ask that because they have no idea what to talk about regarding the subject.

    For example, if someone tells me they follow lacrosse I wouldn't ask "who's your favorite player or favorite team" because I have no clue who any of them are. So I would just go "oh cool do you play?"

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •