Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 193
  1. #81
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Age
    21
    Posts
    14,081
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I told this story awhile ago, but it's worth repeating.

    It's around the year 2000 and my sister is talking with me about Tara Lipinski's skating. My mom overhears and says, "Tara Lipinski? I didn't know she skated." My sister says, "Well yeah Mom, she's the Olympic Gold medalist." And my mom says, (get ready for it...)

    "Was that before or after her affair with Bill Clinton?"

  2. #82
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,023
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Today I went to see Tangled. It was really cute, but anyways, I couldn't help but think that Rapunzel totally looked like Kiira Korpi and the prince totally looked like Samuel Contesti. It was really funny, actually.
    TANGLED <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

    Anyway, i feel like i should write something that's actually on topic-

    hmmm....my family doesn't particularly say funny things about skating, but they sometimes ask me if Sasha is still skating. They always liked Evan, and Tanith/Ben though, and one time my mom said that Jeremy was cute (or something like that; it was a happy day because I love his skating). Currently, they have no idea who anybody is and sometimes they ask me about Caroline (who I think is 'the little Asian girl'). My dad loved Emily Hughes when she was skating because she really went for everything. One skater that they do NOT like is Johnny and have their own name for him
    Last edited by luvsasha2; 12-23-2010 at 05:55 PM.

  3. #83
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    310
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    While watching Han/Sui on Universal Sports with my 3.5 y.o. son--they have lots of Children's fund commercials during the broadcast that I tried to explain to him "see these kids have nothing to eat, they are not as fortunate as you are"--my son asks, "Mommy, does this girl also have nothing to eat?"

    PS: I think I am raising him to be a FS fan, but it was still too funny!

  4. #84
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganaLefay View Post
    While watching Han/Sui on Universal Sports with my 3.5 y.o. son--they have lots of Children's fund commercials during the broadcast that I tried to explain to him "see these kids have nothing to eat, they are not as fortunate as you are"--my son asks, "Mommy, does this girl also have nothing to eat?"

    PS: I think I am raising him to be a FS fan, but it was still too funny!
    LOL that's funny, especially considering Sui is TINY.

  5. #85
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RunnersHigh View Post
    Lipinski, Lewinsky, Lipinski, Lewinsky, Lipinski, Lipinski...
    Don't forget Frank Carroll's "Lepinska"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZYv1RVvdc0

    He seemed a little ticked off when he realized that Laura LEPISTO (Lepinska according to him) with her 2 triples beat Mirai with

  6. #86
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    369
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Rod Black after a skater fell forwards "what a header" BOAL

  7. #87

    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    On the brink
    Posts
    9,896
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1444
    I was watching the OD from the 2009 Canadian Championships with a friend. Virtue & Moir skated last. My friend said "So am I right in thinking that this team is competing in a higher division than the other teams we watched?". I had to explain that she was partially correct. None of the other teams would make top 10 at Worlds but V&M would likely win a medal.

    I worked with a woman who patiently explained to me that costumes are very important in figure skating and account for a big percentage of a skater's marks. Why else would they hire Vera Wang to make their dresses if not to get more points from the judges? And there was no convincing her that this wasn't true.

  8. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    37
    Posts
    680
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I told this story awhile ago, but it's worth repeating.

    It's around the year 2000 and my sister is talking with me about Tara Lipinski's skating. My mom overhears and says, "Tara Lipinski? I didn't know she skated." My sister says, "Well yeah Mom, she's the Olympic Gold medalist." And my mom says, (get ready for it...)

    "Was that before or after her affair with Bill Clinton?"
    That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Thanks

  9. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,962
    vCash
    1670
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I told this story awhile ago, but it's worth repeating.

    It's around the year 2000 and my sister is talking with me about Tara Lipinski's skating. My mom overhears and says, "Tara Lipinski? I didn't know she skated." My sister says, "Well yeah Mom, she's the Olympic Gold medalist." And my mom says, (get ready for it...)

    "Was that before or after her affair with Bill Clinton?"
    That was worth repeating and it made me laugh so much that i have a migraine.

  10. #90

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,435
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3398
    Leading up to the 94 Olympics I was talking to my 80-something aunts and remarking how much I wanted Nancy Kerrigan to win and my oldest aunt said, "Well, I like Sonya better." Another of them swore up and down that Paul Wylie was Jewish and I could not convince her otherwise, even when I told her he was a born-again Christian. My father, who was born in 1919, insisted that he used to see Jojo Starbuck in the Ice Follies back in the 1940's and that she was about his age.

  11. #91
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Phila., PA
    Posts
    3,682
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    Another of them swore up and down that Paul Wylie was Jewish and I could not convince her otherwise, even when I told her he was a born-again Christian.
    Do you think she said that because he skated to music from "Schindler's List," not to mention that his vest had Hebrew words on it (IIRC, saying "Never Again" in translation)?

    Your whole post was a hoot!

  12. #92

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,382
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4361
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I told this story awhile ago, but it's worth repeating.

    It's around the year 2000 and my sister is talking with me about Tara Lipinski's skating. My mom overhears and says, "Tara Lipinski? I didn't know she skated." My sister says, "Well yeah Mom, she's the Olympic Gold medalist." And my mom says, (get ready for it...)

    "Was that before or after her affair with Bill Clinton?"
    I'm not surprised. Around the '98 Olys, I heard so many people confusing "Lipinski" with "Lewinsky" that, when Michelle was asked to give Clinton the Oly jacket, I assumed that someone the White House had vetoed the idea of Tara as the jacket-giver.

  13. #93
    wannabe flower-girl
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toto, I have a feeling we are not in Oberstdorf anymore...
    Age
    28
    Posts
    914
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    802
    A friend of mine realized with genuine surprise, that "they can spin a lot more when they are on the ice, not in the air"

  14. #94
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,804
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    One of my non-skating friends went on and on about "CPU, the new judging system..."

  15. #95

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,435
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3398
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    Do you think she said that because he skated to music from "Schindler's List," not to mention that his vest had Hebrew words on it (IIRC, saying "Never Again" in translation)?

    Your whole post was a hoot!

    Actually, yes, she did see that on TV and said that was where Paul said he was Jewish. She came up with some real doozies (like the female meteorologist being nervy enough to take credit for inventing Doppler radar, the definition of which she hadn't a clue, simply because the weather was labeled "First Alert Doppler.") God rest her soul. I do miss my wacky, wonderful aunts.

  16. #96
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh, my gosh, I think my favorite was the time I told someone that she was turning into a "regular Dorothy Hamill" on the ice, and her response was, "who?"

  17. #97
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    678
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Hillarious.

  18. #98
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    678
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    michelle kwan

    My brother insists that Michelle Kwan Won gold in 98 because he REMEMBERS talking about it at work the next day...

  19. #99
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    My brother insists that Michelle Kwan Won gold in 98 because he REMEMBERS talking about it at work the next day...
    I've heard similar, mostly because my generation grew up with Michelle, and Tara was gone from the competitive scene after 1998. So a lot of people my age who aren't particularly knowledgeable remember Michelle Kwan as an OGM (and very few know who Tara is, which I think is kind of sad).

  20. #100
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,380
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I've heard similar, mostly because my generation grew up with Michelle, and Tara was gone from the competitive scene after 1998. So a lot of people my age who aren't particularly knowledgeable remember Michelle Kwan as an OGM (and very few know who Tara is, which I think is kind of sad).
    Yeah it's sad because an olympic champion could expect to be remembered. But at the same time Tara retired so early vs Michelle, who remains competitive and who won lots of world titles, managed to stay on top for much longer than Tara did.
    Unfair from a certain point of view, not so much from another.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •