Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I told this story awhile ago, but it's worth repeating.

It's around the year 2000 and my sister is talking with me about Tara Lipinski's skating. My mom overhears and says, "Tara Lipinski? I didn't know she skated." My sister says, "Well yeah Mom, she's the Olympic Gold medalist." And my mom says, (get ready for it...)

"Was that before or after her affair with Bill Clinton?"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Today I went to see Tangled. It was really cute, but anyways, I couldn't help but think that Rapunzel totally looked like Kiira Korpi and the prince totally looked like Samuel Contesti. It was really funny, actually.
    TANGLED <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Anyway, i feel like i should write something that's actually on topic-

hmmm....my family doesn't particularly say funny things about skating, but they sometimes ask me if Sasha is still skating. They always liked Evan, and Tanith/Ben though, and one time my mom said that Jeremy was cute (or something like that; it was a happy day because I love his skating). Currently, they have no idea who anybody is and sometimes they ask me about Caroline (who I think is 'the little Asian girl'). My dad loved Emily Hughes when she was skating because she really went for everything. One skater that they do NOT like is Johnny and have their own name for him
    Last edited by luvsasha2; 12-23-2010 at 05:55 PM.

vCash
    While watching Han/Sui on Universal Sports with my 3.5 y.o. son--they have lots of Children's fund commercials during the broadcast that I tried to explain to him "see these kids have nothing to eat, they are not as fortunate as you are"--my son asks, "Mommy, does this girl also have nothing to eat?"

PS: I think I am raising him to be a FS fan, but it was still too funny!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganaLefay View Post
    While watching Han/Sui on Universal Sports with my 3.5 y.o. son--they have lots of Children's fund commercials during the broadcast that I tried to explain to him "see these kids have nothing to eat, they are not as fortunate as you are"--my son asks, "Mommy, does this girl also have nothing to eat?"

PS: I think I am raising him to be a FS fan, but it was still too funny!
    LOL that's funny, especially considering Sui is TINY.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RunnersHigh View Post
    Lipinski, Lewinsky, Lipinski, Lewinsky, Lipinski, Lipinski...
    Don't forget Frank Carroll's "Lepinska"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZYv1RVvdc0

He seemed a little ticked off when he realized that Laura LEPISTO (Lepinska according to him) with her 2 triples beat Mirai with

vCash
    Rod Black after a skater fell forwards "what a header" BOAL

vCash
    I was watching the OD from the 2009 Canadian Championships with a friend. Virtue & Moir skated last. My friend said "So am I right in thinking that this team is competing in a higher division than the other teams we watched?". I had to explain that she was partially correct. None of the other teams would make top 10 at Worlds but V&M would likely win a medal.

I worked with a woman who patiently explained to me that costumes are very important in figure skating and account for a big percentage of a skater's marks. Why else would they hire Vera Wang to make their dresses if not to get more points from the judges? And there was no convincing her that this wasn't true.

vCash

It's around the year 2000 and my sister is talking with me about Tara Lipinski's skating. My mom overhears and says, "Tara Lipinski? I didn't know she skated." My sister says, "Well yeah Mom, she's the Olympic Gold medalist." And my mom says, (get ready for it...)

That's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Thanks

vCash

That was worth repeating and it made me laugh so much that i have a migraine.

vCash
    Leading up to the 94 Olympics I was talking to my 80-something aunts and remarking how much I wanted Nancy Kerrigan to win and my oldest aunt said, "Well, I like Sonya better." Another of them swore up and down that Paul Wylie was Jewish and I could not convince her otherwise, even when I told her he was a born-again Christian. My father, who was born in 1919, insisted that he used to see Jojo Starbuck in the Ice Follies back in the 1940's and that she was about his age.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    Another of them swore up and down that Paul Wylie was Jewish and I could not convince her otherwise, even when I told her he was a born-again Christian.
    Do you think she said that because he skated to music from "Schindler's List," not to mention that his vest had Hebrew words on it (IIRC, saying "Never Again" in translation)?

Your whole post was a hoot!

vCash

I'm not surprised. Around the '98 Olys, I heard so many people confusing "Lipinski" with "Lewinsky" that, when Michelle was asked to give Clinton the Oly jacket, I assumed that someone the White House had vetoed the idea of Tara as the jacket-giver.

wannabe flower-girl
    Toto, I have a feeling we are not in Oberstdorf anymore...
    vCash
    A friend of mine realized with genuine surprise, that "they can spin a lot more when they are on the ice, not in the air"

vCash
    One of my non-skating friends went on and on about "CPU, the new judging system..."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    Do you think she said that because he skated to music from "Schindler's List," not to mention that his vest had Hebrew words on it (IIRC, saying "Never Again" in translation)?

Your whole post was a hoot!

Actually, yes, she did see that on TV and said that was where Paul said he was Jewish. She came up with some real doozies (like the female meteorologist being nervy enough to take credit for inventing Doppler radar, the definition of which she hadn't a clue, simply because the weather was labeled "First Alert Doppler.") God rest her soul. I do miss my wacky, wonderful aunts.

vCash
    Oh, my gosh, I think my favorite was the time I told someone that she was turning into a "regular Dorothy Hamill" on the ice, and her response was, "who?"

vCash
    Hillarious.

vCash

michelle kwan

My brother insists that Michelle Kwan Won gold in 98 because he REMEMBERS talking about it at work the next day...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    My brother insists that Michelle Kwan Won gold in 98 because he REMEMBERS talking about it at work the next day...
    I've heard similar, mostly because my generation grew up with Michelle, and Tara was gone from the competitive scene after 1998. So a lot of people my age who aren't particularly knowledgeable remember Michelle Kwan as an OGM (and very few know who Tara is, which I think is kind of sad).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I've heard similar, mostly because my generation grew up with Michelle, and Tara was gone from the competitive scene after 1998. So a lot of people my age who aren't particularly knowledgeable remember Michelle Kwan as an OGM (and very few know who Tara is, which I think is kind of sad).
    Yeah it's sad because an olympic champion could expect to be remembered. But at the same time Tara retired so early vs Michelle, who remains competitive and who won lots of world titles, managed to stay on top for much longer than Tara did.
    Unfair from a certain point of view, not so much from another.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast