Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

vCash
    Mr JB persists in asking if the female coaches are the skater's mothers.

Even with Patrick Chan!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8junkie View Post
    On a similar note, the local news media has been referring to the novice and junior levels as the "early phases" of the competition, and have been informing their viewing audience that "the professionals" won't be on the ice until later in the competition.
    The term novice is perhaps one of the most confusing things about the sport. I once told someone that they should go to a local competition with me because I knew at least one novice man, and a few ladies, would be there, and the man at least is pretty amazing (triple lutz to die for, maybe he was junior by the time but working on triple axels in practice). Her response- no, I really hate watching beginners.

This was someone who is at least a casual fan of skating, but equates novice with pre-pre.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by delayedaxel View Post
    When I skate at my rink, doing a waltz jump or single salchow, little kids either ask: "Are you a REAL figure skater?" (meaning starting at World Championchips), or, this happened once, a boy asks: "Can you do a triple (!) axel?"

When I replied: "Er... no", the reaction was: "Boah, you're sooooo bad!"
    Oh lordy, I had a similar experience to this, except a birthday party had taken place just before the freestyle session, and hte kids were all still hanging around, and as I laced up they were like, "Cool! Are you professional?" and I was like, "Er, not really," but they still asked a thousand questiosn...and demanded jumps and spins. Oh lordy. It nearly killed me.

vCash
    My friend came with me to yesterday's Junior Ladies final. She has no knowledge of FS and just thought it'd be fun. So the first 6 competitors took the ice for warm up and she said, "Are they all going to skate at the same time?" I told her no, but it'd make for a very short competition and a very exciting one too.

vCash
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I always wondered if there was a way to blend figure skating and hockey.

vCash
    I heard one today in the stands during the junior pairs free skate in Greensboro:

"This is the qualifier for the Olympics, isn't it?"

INTJ
    vCash
    I was watching some ice dance with my ballroom partner who had never watched skating before. He asked what "free dance" meant and I explained that there weren't prescribed patterns but there were required elements. He looked really amazed for a bit then finally said, "they're improvising this?!?!" I just laughed
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Awaiting Validation
    vCash

Canadian slogans

Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    I was watching some ice dance with my ballroom partner who had never watched skating before. He asked what "free dance" meant and I explained that there weren't prescribed patterns but there were required elements. He looked really amazed for a bit then finally said, "they're improvising this?!?!" I just laughed
    Canada "Where your cold front Begins" And we can sk8 outside.

Canada "Where winter spends it's summer"

vCash
    Noting it was the US Nationals on TV the other week, my husband asked me "Is Boy George skating?". He couldn't remember Johnny Weir's name but figured I'd know who he was talking about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Noting it was the US Nationals on TV the other week, my husband asked me "Is Boy George skating?". He couldn't remember Johnny Weir's name but figured I'd know who he was talking about.
    So if he falls, does that qualify as "he'll tumble for ya"????

Sorry, irresistible...
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    So if he falls, does that qualify as "he'll tumble for ya"????

Sorry, irresistible...

vCash
    It was at the 1997 ISU Champions Series Final (known as the ISU Grand Prix Final since 1998) in Hamilton, Ontario Canada.

All week during the competition the seat beside me was empty until the Fri. evening of the Mens' Free when a lady came & occupied the empyt seat.
    During the the Mens' Free it was the intermisson & the zamboni & the 'ice patch' volunteers were on the ice & the lady (referring to the volunteers) asked me:

"Excuse me why do they have buckets?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yukisnowflake View Post
    It was at the 1997 ISU Champions Series Final (known as the ISU Grand Prix Final since 1998) in Hamilton, Ontario Canada.

All week during the competition the seat beside me was empty until the Fri. evening of the Mens' Free when a lady came & occupied the empyt seat.
    During the the Mens' Free it was the intermisson & the zamboni & the 'ice patch' volunteers were on the ice & the lady (referring to the volunteers) asked me:

"Excuse me why do they have buckets?
    Well, it's for the nervous competitors to throw up before or after they skate, of course.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910